PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox "Bus Error"

jef3189
June 18th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Hi, I'm running ubuntu karmic 9.1 with Fluxbox. I installed firefox last week and just installed the flash plugin.

Now whenever I start up firefox, it loads up for a split second and then crashes. The error I get is "Bus Error". I've looked around and couldn't find any solutions that worked for me.

I have already done a complete reinstall of firefox and xulrunner. The error persists.

Is there any other reason/solution for this?!

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

jef3189
June 21st, 2010, 03:23 PM
please help!

jef3189
June 22nd, 2010, 03:38 PM
I tried install Galeon, and that sort of works (at least it starts up), but no matter where I go eventually it will crash with the same "bus error".

I've tried reinstalling firefox etc. through synaptic (complete removal) and then completely reinstalled. Every other thread I've read says that reinstalling xulrunner/firefox fixes it but the error perists even after reinstall of both browsers.

Any help is really appreciated =/

alterpinguin
June 22nd, 2010, 06:22 PM
always test it - if you have a computer with more than 256MB main-memory-ram -
always test the function of the live-cd.
That is the normal install-cd, but dont choose install, instead
choose the option for running the live-version.
There is a firefox browser too.
If that runs fine,
the error "bus error" is some fault from hardware-faults.
You can always produces such faults with mainboard-bios-settings
running your computer on its bleeding edge of performance-tweaks
(like setting wrong dram-access-cycles, over-clock cpu, temprature-overheatings...) which will sometimes fail already at install time or
fail when trying to run software installed with faults.
It could be a partly defective hard-disk .... thats why i would suggest, you try a test of your computer with the live-system - there is a memory-test too on the install-system. If you have no swap-partition in use, the live-disk runs without usage of the harddisk. If it works, you can try to test reading from harddisk too.

jef3189
June 22nd, 2010, 07:40 PM
I couldn't find a solution so I ended up having to reinstall the entire system. Oh well, it's working now at least. Wasn't a physical hardware problem, at least.

thanks