PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] initramfs what is that????

RamseyT
June 18th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Hi Complete newbie to Ubuntu.

I downloaded the
ubuntu-8.04-desktop-emc2-aj13-i386.ISO

Burned and Verfied a CD.

I put it in an older Toshiba laptop and set it to boot from the CD. I get the Ubuntu Install screen.

I select "Safe Video" (I also tried "Normal") in the F4 options and select "Install" and "Enter."

A little while later I get "Busy Box 1.1.3..."

and a bare prompt.

(initramfs)

What do I do next? I typed "Help" as prompted but nothing there helps me.

{edit}
I have since found adding pci=nomsi to the F6 boot options but that did nothing.
The Toshiba does not have a floppy drive, nor does it have a SATA/RAID option in CMOS.
{/edit}
Thanks

Ramsey

RamseyT
June 19th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Please see much more information in this other thread...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9479690&postcount=409

Ramsey

confused57
June 19th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Here's an older thread that may help:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=501353
see post #6

RamseyT
June 19th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Here's an older thread that may help:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=501353
see post #6

Hi,

Thanks for that. It has been rattling away for 15 minuts now, reading from the CD. I will let it have it's way and see where it takes me. Much more than I have had previous attempts. :)

In posting #7, part 2 where it says...

#sudo mount /dev/hda1 target (or whatever slie you installed)

What is meant by "(or whatever slie you installed)" ?

I have a basic Toshiba laptop with 1.4G hard drive, CD, 32512K memory and USB ports but no floppy. I have "installed" nothing.

Ramsey

confused57
June 19th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hi,

Thanks for that. It has been rattling away for 15 minuts now, reading from the CD. I will let it have it's way and see where it takes me. Much more than I have had previous attempts. :)

In posting #7, part 2 where it says...

#sudo mount /dev/hda1 target (or whatever slie you installed)

What is meant by "(or whatever slie you installed)" ?

I have a basic Toshiba laptop with 1.4G hard drive, CD, 32512K memory and USB ports but no floppy. I have "installed" nothing.

Ramsey

I don't know of any linux distro that might run on your laptop, the Ubuntu live cd would require around 512 Mb memory to boot effectively, and you'd probably need at least a 5 Gb hard drive for installation.

RamseyT
June 19th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I don't know of any linux distro that might run on your laptop, the Ubuntu live cd would require around 512 Mb memory to boot effectively, and you'd probably need at least a 5 Gb hard drive for installation.

Thanks,

That's probably the issue. It sat for an hour with a blank screen and flashing cursor doing reads to the CD. I finally turned it off.

Enough memory looks to be $188 and I will check on whether I can get a bigger HDD for it. It is going into a workshop to drive a CNC lathe. I didn't want to spend a lot getting it to work in case the lathe didn't work as expected.

Using EMC2 seemed the best way to test it all, I guess it is win98se and mach3 for me. Bummer.

Thanks for the help. No Linux for me for this year. :(

Ramsey