PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Blacklisting wireless module results in no boot

huzzam
June 18th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Hi--

I'm trying to figure out a wireless issue on my Thinkpad T30, and want to understand blacklisting better, and find out if there's a better way to approach this.

On the advice of some Ubuntu help pages, I blacklisted the driver my wireless card is using, so that it would instead use another compatible driver. This resulted in the computer not being able to boot at all, hanging well before the splash screen, eventually printing an error that CPU#0 had been frozen for 61 seconds!

I expected it to, at worst, boot without finding the wireless card. But to get stuck entirely? What does blacklisting do, and why would the computer not even boot from not having a wireless driver?

Is there another way to specify which driver the wireless card should use? Seems like instead of saying "no don't use that one, no not that one either, nope not that one, what do you have left? yes, that one" I should be able to just say "use this one." Is that possible?

In case it matters I have an Intersil Prism 2.5 PCI wireless card inside an IBM THinkpad T30.

Thanks for your help
~peter in oakland