PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot Connect to Internet

newbienyc
June 18th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I have a simple question whose answer is undoubtedly complex. I recently installed the latest version of Ubuntu onto my laptop (I am dual booting with Windows 7). Everything worked fine and I was able to connect to the internet with ease. Not long thereafter, I needed to reinstall the same distro but when I did, I could not (and cannot ) connect to the internet. (ie: there are no networks detected). I'd greatly appreciate any advice offered.

Thanks.

Icarus315
June 18th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Are you having difficulty connecting through a wired or wireless device?

Icarus315
June 18th, 2010, 05:41 PM
If it is a wireless device:

Plug a network cable into your wired connection on your laptop. This should get you an Internet connection. Run Update Manager. Update Manager needs to be run at least once for Hardware Drivers. Go to: System > Administration > Hardware Drivers. Your wireless network card driver may be listed there. Activate it and reboot. Attempt to connect to the Internet using the wireless device to test.

Edit: When you run Update Manager, check for updates to build the database in your local computer.

Icarus315
June 18th, 2010, 05:52 PM
If you still can't see networks after verifying that the issue does not lie with the driver itself then someone else who knows how to configure the network sub-system will have to help you.

Good luck!

newbienyc
June 18th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks Icarus. I will give your suggestion a try later after work and will post my result here.

Thanks again.

Icarus315
June 18th, 2010, 10:00 PM
You're welcome, keep our fingers crossed! ;)