PDA

View Full Version : Question for rockbox users

mystmaiden
June 18th, 2010, 01:16 PM
What mp3 player do you have and how do you like rockbox?

thanks!

samalex
June 18th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I really like Rhythmbox and have used it for MP3's, podcasts, streaming audio, etc for a while now. It's not perfect (none are), but it seems stable and works great.

As for Rockbox, never heard of it... Short of Googling it, can you give more info on it?

Sam

ubunterooster
June 18th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Rockbox; firmware replacement for portable Media Players. Use it on my family's Sansa e250, Sansa Fuses, and Sansa Clip, And on my Cowon D2+ (Not complete)

Edit:http://www.rockbox.org/

Sutekh849
June 18th, 2010, 04:32 PM
i use it on my ipod nano 2nd generation. i would have put IPL on it but they haven't yet ported it to the 2g nano.

LeifAndersen
June 18th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I used in on my Sansa e260 until it died, not I use it on my Sansa Fuze.

mystmaiden
June 19th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Thanks folks for the replies :)

Looks like it might be worthwhile to purchase an mp3 player I know will be compatible with rockbox. I never quite got anything past the 'drag and drop' stage with either rhythmbox or amarok.

kingrobdun
June 20th, 2010, 12:10 AM
I love using rock box on my sanza fuze. I was using an unofficial build till they released it a year later.

ve4cib
June 20th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I used Rockbox on my Cowon X5 for a while. Rockbox was nice (being able to play Doom on my mp3 player was cool), but it always felt a lot slower and less user-friendly than the stock firmware.

The X5's stock firmware doesn't rely on playlists or ID3 tags; you manage everything with files and directories. "Recursively play everything in this directory in a random order" instead of "Shuffle all music by ____." It's a lot easier on a small device to sort through well-organized directories (not to mention faster and less memory-intensive) than it is to walk through a database of ID3 tags. Especially if you're wanting to play a compilation album, or you have inconsistent tags.

Rockbox does have some slick features though. Rockbox basically makes the device into a small, slightly awkward-to-use PDA, as opposed to *just* an mp3 player, which is pretty cool. If the X5 didn't support OGG and FLAC (and DIVX) out-of-the-box I'd probably have been a lot more tempted to stick with it, instead of reverting to the stock firmware.

whitespiral
June 20th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I use it on my Sansa e250, and love it!

fluteflute
June 20th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I used it in the old days (a year or two ago, until someone on a train spilt coffee on it!!) on an Iriver H120. I then got an iPod Video from eBay and have used Rockbox on it since. Love RockBox.

ronnielsen1
June 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM
1st thing my son installed on a new ipod