PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 9.10 display problem

rovinsan
June 18th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Hi

i just installed ubuntu 9.10 on my pc which originally had XP Pro

i have a asus a7n266-vm motherboard with nvidia nforce chipset.

my resolution is set to 800X600(max) and i am not able to see any thing higher in the drop down.

The XP install had a higher resolution ( 1024X768 ) and it used to detect the monitors automatically

Is there anything i have to do extra after installing ubuntu to get higher resolution in my configuration?

Thanks.

byStanderone
June 18th, 2010, 03:00 PM
...yes, you will have to install the driver for your nvidia...system>administration>hardware drivers

once the nvidia driver is installed...you will have to do some reconfiguration:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

sudo nvidia-xconfig

then reboot

...after reboot, findout from the dropdown menus system>administration if the nvidia x server setting menu exist. if it does exist click on it so as to enter into the nvidia control gui....go to xserver display configuration and adjust your display resolution using it.

if the nvidia x server setting is not present in the dropdown menu...do a sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings

byStanderone
July 27th, 2010, 10:05 AM
...should you still not find the resolution you wanted on the nvidia xserver setting, review the xorg.conf file, add the desired resolution as sampled here:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection

Note: the desired resolution will not be attained and a resolution error will also occur if the horizontal and vertical range under the monitor section of xorg.conf is incorrect. this ranges is monitor dependent, newer monitor would automatically report their horizontal and vertical ranges, but for older ones, a manual edit of the xorg.conf file is necessary.

example:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 30.0 - 85.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 60.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection