PDA

View Full Version : When pigs^h^h^h^hdogs fly...

t0p
June 18th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Anyone seen this before?

http:///www.thedogfiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/parachuting-dog.jpg

Thing is, I first saw this image on the cover of the Daily Mail (UK newspaper)'s "Weekend" supplement, where the subtitle reads "How our four-legged friends have been the British Army's secret weapon for 500 years". But the caption at The Dog Files (http://www.thedogfiles.com/2010/03/19/combat-dogs-take-to-the-skies-for-secret-missions-in-afghanistan/) says it's an Austrian para. And The Dog Files says it's a pic of a training mission over Norway, whereas its sub-headline says "Combat Dogs Take To The Skies For Secret Missions In Afghanistan".

None of this is actually lying... but it's misleading for sure. When did the media start thinking it's okay to mislead the public?!!

t0p
June 18th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Also the article says dogs "don't perceive height difference". But I've owned 2 dogs, and they certainly could/can perceive differences in heights. For instance: when I was younger I had a lurcher which I taught to climb trees. Fred would get pretty high up in the branches. But when I called him down, he didn't just jump down to his death, he'd climb down to a lower branch before jumping.

Tristam Green
June 18th, 2010, 12:54 PM
OH NO. THE HORROR. A newspaper made a mistake.

Notify them and they'll probably print a retraction.

t0p
June 18th, 2010, 12:58 PM
OH NO. THE HORROR. A newspaper made a mistake.

Notify them and they'll probably print a retraction.

Gosh, yes, I'll do that immediately. Everything will then be perfect and I'll be able to rest in peace in my coffin/urn/shallow grave in the woods...

Tristam Green
June 18th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Gosh, yes, I'll do that immediately. Everything will then be perfect and I'll be able to rest in peace in my coffin/urn/shallow grave in the woods...

Well, taking the simplest explanation....

sydbat
June 18th, 2010, 04:01 PM
None of this is actually lying... but it's misleading for sure. When did the media start thinking it's okay to mislead the public?!!Um...forever ago. Really.

This kind of thing has been going on for decades/last couple of centuries at least. Twisting the "news" to fit an agenda was most famously done by Hurst, but has always been part of "journalism".

Also, most media have never checked sources for facts. It is fashionable today to believe that, at some golden point in the past, the media actually reported factual things, when in reality factual non-biased and fully investigated stories have always been in the minority.