PDA

View Full Version : Teaching average users Ubuntu

lestat6205
June 18th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I want to start teaching people how to use Ubuntu and I want to create a checklist so that I can go through it with the person and teach them how to operate the system.

Like:

Connect to a wireless network

open firefox
install flash

find and Install programs

Add users and delete users

Teach the desktop top and bottom bar like in the Application, Place, System, Shutdown and all the other buttons.

Anyone else have any ideas to add. This should be a community effort to create something like this so that people can print off a sheet and teach people all the basics. Please everyones input is important to this project. If I create a good Document I will share it if people would want.

wilee-nilee
June 18th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Why?

lestat6205
June 18th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Why?

Because I think that Ubuntu is a very well built operating system and something like this might help someone teach someone else the basics so they can use Ubuntu. People are affraid of linux becuase they think its for geeks and ubuntu is not for geeks its for the average user. And with a little teaching people who would of never thought of trying Ubuntu might even get involved and have an idea that pushes linux out front for the average user.

If you want the average user to use Ubuntu then you need to get feedback from the average user.

wilee-nilee
June 18th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Because I think that Ubuntu is a very well built operating system and something like this might help someone teach someone else the basics so they can use Ubuntu. People are affraid of linux becuase they think its for geeks and ubuntu is not for geeks its for the average user. And with a little teaching people who would of never thought of trying Ubuntu might even get involved and have an idea that pushes linux out front for the average user.

If you want the average user to use Ubuntu then you need to get feedback from the average user.

Well....good luck.;)

OtakuWrath
June 18th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Changing the look. showing people how to customize their OS for individual taste.

lestat6205
June 18th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Changing the look. showing people how to customize their OS for individual taste.

Thank you for the addition I wouldn't of ever thought of that.

royevans
June 18th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Why?

You say it as if you think this would be a bad thing.

wojox
June 18th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Have you seen Ubuntu Manual Project (http://ubuntu-manual.org/)

wilee-nilee
June 18th, 2010, 12:11 PM
You say it as if you think this would be a bad thing.

It is not a bad thing but from my experience with people, trying to convince them of a alternative of anything that is outside of their usual MO is a pointless task. I wait for somebody to ask me to show them this seems for me to work better. A large part of computer users want a magic box hit start and go. They don't even know about a limited account in MS, or how to protect themselves by using some common sense.

In the end any OS can be made safe and run efficiently, Linux or open source really has some advantages yes, but not everybody wants to do the work to understand some basic stuff. I started out using open source and for a while I was a Linux herd follower, ie it was the best thing since sliced bread, but it was a unsubstantiated opinion.

ArcaVex
June 18th, 2010, 12:19 PM
The best way to learn (imo) is hands on approach. The internet is such a vast source of knowledge now that most things sought after can be aquired.

Plus latest releases (generally) handle most hardware, including wireless, out of the box.
And with either a package manager or Ubuntu's new software application its quite easy to install basic flash, thunderbird, vlc, gstreamer, etc.

I'm sure there are lots of guides readily available for installation of software, compiz configuration, etc. And if you are using Ubuntu just download ubuntu-tweak for simple modifications (like moving min,max, close buttons to the other side, etc.)

cchhrriiss121212
June 18th, 2010, 12:43 PM
It is not a bad thing but from my experience with people, trying to convince them of a alternative of anything that is outside of their usual MO is a pointless task. I wait for somebody to ask me to show them this seems for me to work better. A large part of computer users want a magic box hit start and go. They don't even know about a limited account in MS, or how to protect themselves by using some common sense.
I think this is fairly accurate, but the OP's idea would be helpful for those people who are willing to try Ubuntu and need a few quick pointers to start off with. Hopefully the OP is not intending to start "selling" Ubuntu to windows users.

My suggestions for the checklist would be:
Not all hardware is supported, try to cover the bad as well as the good
Windows programs will not run natively, so look for alternatives before using WINE
Adding a PPA
Explaining the security, ie you don't need to buy anti-virus software
Showing them the community docs and more importantly the forums, which are some of Ubuntu's strengths

wilee-nilee
June 18th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I think this is fairly accurate, but the OP's idea would be helpful for those people who are willing to try Ubuntu and need a few quick pointers to start off with. Hopefully the OP is not intending to start "selling" Ubuntu to windows users.

My suggestions for the checklist would be:
Not all hardware is supported, try to cover the bad as well as the good
Windows programs will not run natively, so look for alternatives before using WINE
Adding a PPA
Explaining the security, ie you don't need to buy anti-virus software
Showing them the community docs and more importantly the forums, which are some of Ubuntu's strengths

+1 on the Bootzilla avatar. ;)

howefield
June 18th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Anyone else have any ideas to add.

Ignore the critics, there is always at least one.

Installing and setup.
Supported hardware.
/home Partitioning.
Multimedia enabling.
Backup Strategy.
Trusted Repositories versus other methods of getting software.
Linux substitutes for Windows software.
How to obtain help and how to search for info.
Terminal basics - how to move around / copy / rename, etc.
Wine. (Why & Supported applications)
Virtualbox. (OSE vs PUEL)
Desktop environments.

t.rei
June 18th, 2010, 01:32 PM
1. Show them how to get their 'regular tasks' done:
* Internet -> google -> show them how to get here and into 'absolute beginners' ;)
* Mail -> account settings
* Office -> Writing and Printing Documents
* PDF -> Viewing and Printing
* Movies -> install ubuntu-restricted-extras and do the libdvdcss thing (don't even try to explain that not-shipping this makes sense!)
* Music -> Organizing, Listening, Writing to CD, Ripping from CD, exporting to ipod
* Images -> Organizing, viewing
* Backups -> Show them how to easily do one, and do one.

2. Let them enjoy freedom!
After those things are covered, the 'I get sick if I see purple and pink' part should be shown, I'd probably give them a day or two to play with the settings after showing them gnome-look.org and how to get the stuff. Good chance to promote some of the themes you like, maybe elementary (thats a huge success with my mom and grandma!).

3. Show them the power of easy installation
Next time show them - well if they screwed things up while exploring the endless possibilities of freedom, do the backup thing first - how to use the ubuntu-software-center. ;)

ArcaVex
June 18th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Most of the proprietary software available from Windows/Mac isn't too dissimilar from open source. This is because its the best/most efficient way of doing it.

Firefox generally comes with most distros, escept perhaps debian which used to come with ice weasel (haha)

email clients don't differ much and they all require the same information regardless of what OS you use.

Flash/PDF are a case of a few clicks on package managers

Open Office comes with most distros, which is compatible with MS Office and isn't much different except the price,

For a tutorial i'd go with things like:

Backup (personal data only, no ISO's of an operating system - you'll never learn if you mess things up and just clone a hard drive)
CLI (Terminal)
Basic troubleshooting /var/log
Different methods of getting software / compiling source
Basic security and firewall, iptables
Antivirus (if you are using removable drives cross platform, not so much for linux safety, but for other OS)
WINE/Cedega

But the ultimate question is: "When you first got into computing 99.9% says you had access to a version of Windows, How did you learn to use that? Read large tutorials? Hmmm."

howefield
June 18th, 2010, 02:37 PM
How did you learn to use that? Read large tutorials? Hmmm."

Do you think the OP is trying to come up with a written tutorial ?

I read it more as a checklist for his/her use to ensure the topics were covered.

lestat6205
June 18th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Thank you for all the input. And yes I am going to try and teach people who are using their windows computers for internet and thats it to try and see if I can teach her the basics that she would use ubuntu for her basic needs because I am her free support and I think that if I can just give her more time in the beginning then I wont have to help her virus and other problems windows has.

lestat6205
June 18th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Do you think the OP is trying to come up with a written tutorial ?

I read it more as a checklist for his/her use to ensure the topics were covered.

Yes you are right I would like to have a personal checklist for when people ask me to teach them linux so that I wont forget something that is basic.

lestat6205
June 18th, 2010, 08:49 PM

I am not going to sell Ubuntu but I do own a computer repair company and I did have a thought about if I can turn basic users into linux users than I might offer a service that teaches them basic linux on there computer because I have a lot of clients that are feed up with windows and the virus and loads of other problems windows has. But only if I can convert a couple of people successfully. This is down the road if it goes as well as I hope it will.

I think that ubuntu is good for people that do basic computer needs like Internet and basic photo editing software like F-spot.

And again this is down the road I had this idea. Don't think I am going to force it down anyones throat I will just offer them as an alternative to the windows problems. Down the road

lestat6205
June 18th, 2010, 08:50 PM

No I have not seen that but I will look into it and see if I can get some ideas.

ugm6hr
June 18th, 2010, 08:50 PM

Also: http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html

I would suggest just using one of these, and working through each chapter.

That way, you can leave the book with the "student" so they can try stuff out for themselves.

cchhrriiss121212
June 18th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I am not going to sell Ubuntu but I do own a computer repair company and I did have a thought about if I can turn basic users into linux users than I might offer a service that teaches them basic linux on there computer because I have a lot of clients that are feed up with windows and the virus and loads of other problems windows has. But only if I can convert a couple of people successfully. This is down the road if it goes as well as I hope it will.

I think that ubuntu is good for people that do basic computer needs like Internet and basic photo editing software like F-spot.

And again this is down the road I had this idea. Don't think I am going to force it down anyones throat I will just offer them as an alternative to the windows problems. Down the road
Sounds like a good plan, I have been selling a few PCs loaded with Ubuntu and have had a small amount of satisfied customers. There is definitely a market out there for people willing to try Ubuntu/Linux systems. Good luck with it.

lestat6205
June 18th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Also: http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html

I would suggest just using one of these, and working through each chapter.

That way, you can leave the book with the "student" so they can try stuff out for themselves.

I was actually thinking about putting a couple of resources like that on a cd so that people will have some resources if they loose Internet connection.

lestat6205
June 18th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Sounds like a good plan, I have been selling a few PCs loaded with Ubuntu and have had a small amount of satisfied customers. There is definitely a market out there for people willing to try Ubuntu/Linux systems. Good luck with it.

I know some companies will donate a portion of the profits from there selling of Ubuntu PCs. Do you do something like that to help support Ubuntu.

Janeleaper
June 19th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Hi. Average user here.

When I switched to Ubuntu a couple of years ago I bought Ubuntu for Non-Geeks by Rickford Grant and worked my way through it. The version I was using was for 8.04. It was pretty good, and told me more or less everything I needed to know. It is still available, but doesn't seem to have been updated.

cchhrriiss121212
June 19th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I know some companies will donate a portion of the profits from there selling of Ubuntu PCs. Do you do something like that to help support Ubuntu.
If I sell any more I would consider it, but as I said I've only sold a handful, so a 5% percentage donation of profit would only be about £5.

lestat6205
June 19th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Hi. Average user here.

When I switched to Ubuntu a couple of years ago I bought Ubuntu for Non-Geeks by Rickford Grant and worked my way through it. The version I was using was for 8.04. It was pretty good, and told me more or less everything I needed to know. It is still available, but doesn't seem to have been updated.

Thank you for the tip I will look into that.

lestat6205
June 19th, 2010, 06:33 PM
If I sell any more I would consider it, but as I said I've only sold a handful, so a 5% percentage donation of profit would only be about £5.

Okay I thought about that if I can do something like that.

MasterNetra
June 19th, 2010, 08:31 PM
How about a pre-OS overview on the computer and some of the basic concepts and such. Like what a OS is and what a browser is. I've come across people (plenty within my own family) who don't know the difference between a browser and the actual OS. Some cases they even think the Internet and their OS is the same thing. This type of thing is a big issue and is wide spread.

lestat6205
June 19th, 2010, 09:33 PM
How about a pre-OS overview on the computer and some of the basic concepts and such. Like what a OS is and what a browser is. I've come across people (plenty within my own family) who don't know the difference between a browser and the actual OS. Some cases they even think the Internet and their OS is the same thing. This type of thing is a big issue and is wide spread.

Yes I agree that this is a big issue and always needs to be addressed. People just know how to click on icons and they have no idea how the computer actually works.

Random_Dude
June 19th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Anyone else have any ideas to add. This should be a community effort to create something like this so that people can print off a sheet and teach people all the basics. Please everyones input is important to this project. If I create a good Document I will share it if people would want.

Tell them to install GUFW so that they can enable their firewall easily (I suppose that they might find the CLI to be unpleasant to use) .
Virus shouldn't be a big concern, but I think that when anyone makes a topic about "how to introduce newcomers to linux" nobody remembers to tell them to enable the firewall.

Why isn't UFW enabled by default?

lestat6205
June 19th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Tell them to install GUFW so that they can enable their firewall easily (I suppose that they might find the CLI to be unpleasant to use) .
Virus shouldn't be a big concern, but I think that when anyone makes a topic about "how to introduce newcomers to linux" nobody remembers to tell them to enable the firewall.

Why isn't UFW enabled by default?

That is very true about the firewall and the GUFW is alot easier to use than the command line to.

MasterNetra
June 19th, 2010, 11:24 PM
That is very true about the firewall and the GUFW is alot easier to use than the command line to.

lol which reminds me to do something I forgot to do.

Legendary_Bibo
June 19th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Explain certain concepts, and terminology just in case they see it again and know what the hell everyone is talking about.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xVIWRPqXmzA/TBMdkJcePaI/AAAAAAAAACU/9qz5-ptU6Wo/s1600/terminology.png

That was the problem I had...

lestat6205
June 20th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Explain certain concepts, and terminology just in case they see it again and know what the hell everyone is talking about.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xVIWRPqXmzA/TBMdkJcePaI/AAAAAAAAACU/9qz5-ptU6Wo/s1600/terminology.png

That was the problem I had...

I never thought of that I will always go over stuff like that first

MooPi
June 20th, 2010, 06:01 PM
The learning experience has been the fun for me. Sure help the noobs past step one and two but cut them loose and you'll see sparks from their trail. So it's off to the races you noobies.

discostoo
June 22nd, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hi. Average user here.

The fourth edition was just released, and it's totally revamped for 10.04:

http://nostarch.com/ubuntu4.htm

The PDF is on sale now, the print book is shipping soon.