PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live CD wont install from the desktop.

Jonny87
June 18th, 2010, 04:28 AM
I have just been trying to fix a friends comp, they had Windows crash, and it wouldn't reinstall properly. So I thought I'd put Ubuntu 10:04 on it instead. I burnt the CD today from an ISO that I've used perfectly fine in the past. When I finally got it to boot into the trial desktop. The install button on the desktop wouldn't work. Everything else that I tried to run would run fine. is there some way that I can run it from the terminal or could this indicate a fault in the Live CD? If needed I'll redo the CD or run another CD copy I have at home.

pastalavista
June 18th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I believe there is an install entry in the desktop menus and also in the CD boot menu. The icon on the desktop needs a double-click to run. Have you installed this iso-burn on any other boxes? If so, a reburn shouldn't be necessary... unless the other install didn't go well.

Jonny87
June 18th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Yea the ones in the menus didn't work either. I double clicked it, selected it and hit Enter/Return, I even tried running it as root from a "sudo nautilus" window. nothing I tried would start the install process.

As I said I have used the ISO before on a different CD and installed it onto my Laptop perfectly fine, but this particular CD I burnt today on the job as I had the ISO on my usb stick but didn't have the other CD on me.