PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Turning on Wireless freezes computer

Cthulhu_Dreams
June 18th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Hi, I'm using a BCM4312 Broadcom chip and like many on here I've had problems getting my wireless to work. In the process of trying several different avenues I, some how, managed to get it working for a time. I now have a new problem. First off, wireless networks no long appear although the option to connect to wireless is now present. Second, the button I use to activate wireless on my laptop is flashing on and off. When I actually flip it on or off, my computer freezes. Additionally I've noticed that my computer suffers from regular pauses now. In the process of writing this post my computer has stopped for about two seconds, then written out the words I've been typing.

I'd really appreciate some help with this, thanks.

Cthulhu_Dreams
June 18th, 2010, 02:07 AM
In an attempt to retrace my steps, I uninstalled everything related to the BCM4312 driver. In the process of reinstalling fwcutter I was able to gain back my ability to connect to wireless networks, although the skipping and the freezing remains. Additionally, it isn't manual button that causes the freezing but also going to "Enable Wireless" in the Networking Applet.

EDIT: It appears access to wireless is only temporary and after a while the networks just vanish from the applet.

Cthulhu_Dreams
June 19th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Bump