PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] battery died in the middle of installation

aeads02
June 18th, 2010, 01:24 AM
I need help. We were updating ubuntu and the battery died in the middle of installation. Now we are at a back end fdr kind screen almost like a dos I guess. Not sure what to call it. But now we cant access the computer at all.

Says owner@di1150pcrb:~$ 00_

WTF does that mean and now what do I do?

Kami

libssd
June 18th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Can you power it down, and (while plugged in) boot from a LiveCD? If so, just re-install.

darkod
June 18th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Install again?

aeads02
June 18th, 2010, 02:09 AM
It turns on but it won't reinstall. When it powers up it automaticly goes to the grub screen. Does anyone do live chat?

lavinog
June 18th, 2010, 02:32 AM
I need help. We were updating ubuntu and the battery died in the middle of installation. Now we are at a back end fdr kind screen almost like a dos I guess. Not sure what to call it. But now we cant access the computer at all.

Says owner@di1150pcrb:~$ 00_

WTF does that mean and now what do I do?

Kami

That "dos" screen is the console. Many times people will offer help using terminal commands because it is easier to give help this way.

EDIT: I misread and thought it died during an update of an already installed system.

You will most likely need to reinstall. You might need to use some button combination during boot, but each manufacturer uses a different key. Can you tell us what brand and model laptop you are using?

Also you should never do installations or upgrades on the battery for this reason.

aeads02
June 18th, 2010, 04:31 AM
It was during an update. We had 2.6 and was upgrading to 10 but in the middle of the update it turned off. I have a dell. Not sure the model num. Does pp08L mean anything?

arashiko28
June 18th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Most likely it was during the installation of root files, advice, run live CD, save what you can and reinstall without formatting, this will allow you to keep your files (BUT MAKE THE BACKUP ANY WAY!!!) while fixing the mess of the software. FWI, all current installed software will be gone.

And didn't your mama told you to plug your computer before doing installations and updates or upgrades?

Sorry, bad joke. Any way, good luck!

aeads02
June 18th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Ok so its like half loaded now. It loads up to dell screen, ubuntu 10,4 then says a few things then, it turns off.

aeads02
June 18th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Lol I know huh. Well anyway does it matter that the cd is burned? I'm not familur with Linux and ubuntu