PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Try Office 2010 Yet?

mamamia88
June 18th, 2010, 01:21 AM
think it's worth it? i can probably get it for like $50 from college bookstore. just curious if it runs as well as 07 in wine

wilee-nilee
June 18th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Never tried it I have a license for 3 versions of 2007 and don't use it. There are just a few things though that MS office does do that Open Office and other freeware can't do but most people are not going to even need those functions.

j7%<RmUg
June 18th, 2010, 02:15 AM
My friend who is a windows 7 freak got hold of it back when it was in beta, i had a quick go with it and found that its a little more stable, a little bit less crashy and a fair bit quicker.

But i still HATE it anyway :)

EDIT: no i havent tried it in wine.

murderslastcrow
June 18th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Apparently the installer's rating is Garbage, so we'll have to see in the coming months what happens- Crossover prioritizes Office support, so I'm sure it'll work soon enough. Also, less than a decade Wine will probably be completed so far as compatibility goes.

Many of my friends still used MS Office 2001 up until swapping it out for OpenOffice recently. Look at it this way- most MS Office users use 2001 or XP. If they need to upgrade, would they rather get a Suite that does more for free, or one that does the same amount of more (in most cases) for a lot? Office 2007 works perfectly in Wine, and people would be more likely to buy the older software than upgrade straight to the newest one. Companies and students are the only people who would logically be doing this Office 2010 thing.

Unlike Windows 7's speed improvements and outrageously over-exaggerated 'improvements' over Vista, Office 2010 doesn't seem to have any features people would like to upgrade over.

In fact, the new free Office apps online will probably be a direct competitor the standalone version of the same product!

So, by the time Wine is finished, Office 2010 will probably be a few bucks.

It'll be interesting to see what happens here, since Microsoft's trying to make Windows 7 into the next Windows XP, and in many ways they are succeeding in mind share and manufacturer discounts. They really don't want to lose in this market, which has ironically become secondary to their gaming market throughout the Vista age.

However, unlike Windows 98, Windows XP is good enough for most people, and probably will be for a few more years. In five years, I see about 10 percent Mac users, 10 percent Linux users, 35 percent Windows XP, 35 percent Windows 7, and 10 percent everything else (which will obviously grow as alternative OSes are getting more exposure/use in the form of tablets, for example).

With the market diversifying as it has, having a Microsoft product on the desktop is becoming less viable and needful- the most successfully businesses will be those with the most portable applications. Migrating Office to the web is the most logical step to secure themselves in the new market, so I would suggest leaving Office 2010 alone if you can, save some money, and watch as things become more cross-platform and web based for the sake of open use.

Until we got smart phones and a new wave of tablets, this stuff was basically moot, but for the consumer there's a real need for portability beyond the desktop OS. :3 If you think about it, a lot has changed just since Android phones have come out.

If Microsoft releases a new product with not many features every 3 years, which is WAY SLOW at this market's current average pace, how long do you think their Office business will last? Wait until it's free and they get desperate, unless you're desperate to have it.

Of course, if your computer has enough RAM, and you don't mind virtualizing Windows XP, you can run it in VirtualBox instead of dual-booting.

Brent0
June 18th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I bought it along with my new computer build yesterday. I think it's a great piece of software. It's faster, more stable, sleeker, and easier to use. Word and Powerpoint start in less than 2 seconds. :o

It's not worth the upgrade if you have 2007 though.

Edit: Thought I should mention I'm using office on Windows 7, not Wine.

cetacean
June 18th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I have been enormously happy with XP and Office 2003 for quite a while. No reason to switch on my main beast desktop tower at home.

Having said that, I am on a long-term out-of-town business assignment and bought a laptop with Win 7 pre-installed 2 months ago. I immediately loaded Lucid as a dual-boot and Open Office and have been learning that as my hobby in the evenings.

Got a great deal on Office 2010 and loaded that. All my "work" work is in Micro$oft and although the 7/2010 has caused some frustrations (where the hell is Windows Explorer? in Windows and where the hell is Tools in Office? - they stripped away and emasculated the 2 most useful and handy and important tools that existed!) overall I think I will now finally be able to move on and get past XP/2003. But no great rush.

In the parallel universe I have done all my personal computing in Ubuntu and am getting a good feel for it. I feel fairly confident that I could migrate away from Windows, if work did not compel me to stay with Windows. That may take some time. The Ubuntu philosophy greatly appeals to me and I am deeply drawn to the open source concept.

So, what did you want to know? I think Windows 7 and Office 2010 are both excellent programs and I am happy to work in them since they fell into my lap, but they are not profoundly compelling. Upgrade when it is cheap and convenient, but not before.

Just my opinion, of course.

Spr0k3t
June 18th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Still waiting for the option to remove the ribbonface. Other than that, all of the features I need in an office suite can be found in OO.o so far.

Xianath
June 18th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Outlook 2010 offers some significant improvements over 2007 especially when used with Exchange 2010. Word has some minor ones, and I can't tell one Excel from the other. I am yet to try the new OneNote which has got to be my favorite MS Office app. All in all, if I could pick just Outlook and OneNote, at a reasonable upgrade price (how much should one pay for one or two features?), I'd consider it.

Haven't tried it in wine, I run a virtualbox for Outlook and IE. Speed is amazing, though. On the Windows 7 guest, Word starts faster than Dolphin on the Kubuntu Lucid host! Ain't that a !@#$%

Johnsie
June 18th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I have a technet subscription so I guess I have 10 licenses for it. I might check it out.

IMO Outlook/Exchange sync makes Microsoft Office far superior to OO. Even if you add Evolution to the mix, the GUI in Evolution is terribly ugly and not professional looking.

I do like OO's functions for saving/opening weirdly delimited files in Calc though

HappinessNow
June 18th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I tried the online version for free, but prefer Google Docs for such things.

squilookle
June 18th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I'm curious and waiting for it to become available at work.

At home, I use Office 2007 mostly, but also Google Docs (only if its going to be helpful to share the document with someone) and Latex. I've no intention of upgrading to 2010 at home. I paid for 2007 and it still does everything i want it to.

vaustvest
June 18th, 2010, 03:05 PM
used it sometime when its free during beta.
it has better graphics, yeah.

sydbat
June 18th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Not sure if it worth the $700 price tag (for "Pro") they have been advertising here. Also not sure the "download card" for $100 less is worth it either.

Also, how badly does it break is backwards compatibility?

kamaboko
June 18th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Maybe this info will be useful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfCRR0kJ5-s

forrestcupp
June 18th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Also, less than a decade Wine will probably be completed so far as compatibility goes.

So, by the time Wine is finished, Office 2010 will probably be a few bucks.

Wine will never be finished or completed. Every time a new version of Windows comes out, it puts them 10 years behind again.

aladinonl
June 18th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Office 2010, and later version, supports open document format. So that is a good point.

OOo sucks.

I prefer Zoho for my office work.

McRat
June 18th, 2010, 08:09 PM
We are still using Office 2000. Everytime they release a new version, we play with it, and see if it will get more work done per hour. I suppose I should buy a seat of 2010.

pabloda
August 10th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Anyone tried installing 2007 (which works on Wine) and then upgrading to 2010?
Maybe it can work.

Dustin2128
August 10th, 2010, 10:16 PM
intentionally broken wine compatibility perhaps?
Anyway, I wouldn't use it as I barley ever have to do offline word processing anymore, and when I do, OO is good enough to suit my needs.

Sub101
August 10th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I get it through my Uni. It does load quicker but the general functionality is the same in general.

Id say its a more polished version of 2007.

andymorton
August 10th, 2010, 10:35 PM
think it's worth it? i can probably get it for like $50 from college bookstore. just curious if it runs as well as 07 in wine

I used the beta for a while on my netbook when I still had Windows 7 on it. It was very stable and didn't crash once. I was actually pretty impressed with it. Although I don't see the point of paying a lot of money for it when Open Office is completely free and, in my opinon, just as good.
andy

mamamia88
August 11th, 2010, 12:24 AM
i think i will end up getting it. once i graduate though think i will switch entirely to OO.org because i don't see myself needing a $200 suite