PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Linux OS: If Adobe made a custom Ubuntu (Linux) based OS would you use it?

HappinessNow
June 17th, 2010, 11:29 PM
If Adobe made a custom Ubuntu (Linux) based OS would you use it?

of course this would have fully functioning Adobe products.

A second question is: if Adobe designed and manufactured and sold computers, tablets, and other devices that rival anything Apple has yet to come up with would you buy Adobe Computers?

chris200x9
June 17th, 2010, 11:32 PM
aw hell naw

pmla
June 17th, 2010, 11:48 PM
What about google linux OS :)

wojox
June 17th, 2010, 11:52 PM
No, Adobe is way to bloated and heavy. I can't stand Flash.

reinel2008
June 18th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Appears that silly questions of far fetched or useless ideas still permeate throughout this forum.

themarker0
June 18th, 2010, 12:07 AM
If it had working photoshop CS5, i might.

FuturePilot
June 18th, 2010, 12:13 AM
The desktop would probably be made out of Flash. No.

K.Mandla
June 18th, 2010, 02:07 AM
No. Or maybe yes, but tear out anything they put in it, strip it down to the command line, inject a half-dozen custom-built packages, run it against the framebuffer and then complain because it was slower than some other distro. :roll:

SunnyRabbiera
June 18th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Maybe, if they priced it fairly.

j7%<RmUg
June 18th, 2010, 02:19 AM
I would never use it, no way!

They would probably do a microsoft and integrate flash into the kernel so that you could not remove it, just like microsoft did with IE.

OtakuWrath
June 18th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Adobe tends to overprice everything... it would be like Windows only bloated with useless programs that won't do what you want them to do without first buying the extra features for the programs.. :neutral:

McRat
June 18th, 2010, 02:38 AM
For a company that is the #1 target of malware, mostly due to their mistakes, I'd get really edgy about getting an OS from them.

McRat
June 18th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Adobe tends to overprice everything... it would be like Windows only bloated with useless programs that won't do what you want them to do without first buying the extra features for the programs.. :neutral:

Yeah, they don't seem to in line with market prices. I asked for a copy of Adobe Acrobat, and I got a bill for like $600? For one seat of a PDF editor? I was expecting 100-200.

betrunkenaffe
June 18th, 2010, 04:51 AM

A second question is: if Adobe designed and manufactured and sold computers, tablets, and other devices that rival anything Apple has yet to come up with would you buy Adobe Computers?

Thanks for the maybe option. Since you didn't give one, no it is.

madjr
June 18th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the maybe option. Since you didn't give one, no it is.

same here lol, is a more nope than a yes

open source is eating up on adobe am not sure we'll need them for that long

and if html5 gets to deaththrone flash in a few years, they might actually try and open source it to avoid losing more share (which might be of benefit..).

tgalati4
June 18th, 2010, 06:15 AM
The OS would be called KOOLAID.

Breambutt
June 18th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Gotta try everything once. Even Corel Linux.

How else could you say how much it sucks donkey nads and sleep the sleep of the righteous?

earthpigg
June 18th, 2010, 08:44 AM
no, but i would publicly support it.

i wouldn't recommend it to anyone, nor would i use it, nor would i donate to it.

but i would say things like "good job adobe!".

i would see zero value in the distro, but plenty of value in encouraging them to work on better linux support in general.

julio_cortez
June 18th, 2010, 08:50 AM
If it's based on Debian, why not?

Of course, the main hope is that if Adobe developed a Linux distro, they also would care about porting their software (mainly Premiere, Photoshop and Illustrator) also to that system.
I wouldn't mind paying for a "Creative Suite for Linux" really, if it provided 100% the feeling it provides in Windows.

Warpnow
June 18th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I'd have it installed for sure. Adobe's suite of programs fulfills almost every complaint about linux lack of programs. They have a solution for almost every facet of media, graphics, audio, ect, ect, and all of their programs are of professional quality.

HappinessNow
June 18th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I'd have it installed for sure. Adobe's suite of programs fulfills almost every complaint about linux lack of programs. They have a solution for almost every facet of media, graphics, audio, ect, ect, and all of their programs are of professional quality.
Exactly. ;-)

madnessjack
June 18th, 2010, 09:57 AM
For sure.

Adobe make awesome software, but I do feel they go the wrong way about implementing it on Win/Linux/Mac

julio_cortez
June 18th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Exactly. ;-)
Wow, so it's not only me that got duplicate posts in the last minutes :)

HappinessNow
June 18th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Wow, so it's not only me that got duplicate posts in the last minutes :)yeah I reported it to the mods, it seems when ever I make an edit it creates a new post either the forum software or my browser is acting weird.

My apologies.

mickie.kext
June 18th, 2010, 10:41 AM
No.

Ps: Interestingly, Corel already tried (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corel_Linux) that. They got taken over by Microsoft before they could port Corel DRAW to Linux. Microsoft made them spin-off their Linux business and scrap all porting plans. Later, Microsoft sold Corel stock like nothing happened. That distro is now known as Xandros.

KiwiNZ
June 18th, 2010, 10:54 AM
No.

Ps: Interestingly, Corel already tried (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corel_Linux) that. They got taken over by Microsoft before they could port Corel DRAW to Linux. Microsoft made them spin-off their Linux business and scrap all porting plans. Later, Microsoft sold Corel stock like nothing happened. That distro is now known as Xandros.

Microsoft did not take over Corel, they had a minority stock holding of around 24mil non voting shares. They divested when Corel was purchased by Vector.

mickie.kext
June 18th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Microsoft did not take over Corel, they had a minority stock holding of around 24mil non voting shares. They divested when Corel was purchased by Vector.

That is takeover. They made them stop porting and do what suits Microsoft goals. They don't need to buy whole company for that, just to threaten with proxy fight. Only thing they did with that deal was thwarting Corel Linux effort.

KiwiNZ
June 18th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Corel dumped its Linux Distro as it was too soon and was an abject failure. MS did not care about it.

The MS / Corel alliance was for interoperability around such things as dot net and not some evil imaginary conspiracy.

A take over is when 100% 0f the listed stock is purchased and the Board is replaced.

mickie.kext
June 18th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Corel dumped its Linux Distro as it was too soon and was an abject failure. MS did not care about it.

The MS / Corel alliance was for interoperability around such things as dot net and not some evil imaginary conspiracy.

And MS investment was just by chance preceded Xandros divestment? Microsoft never cared about Linux? They must be very stupid then.

Believe what you want, but do some research before attacking me.

A take over is when 100% 0f the listed stock is purchased and the Board is replaced.

That is definition, I give you that. Wrong choice of terminology by me.

KiwiNZ
June 18th, 2010, 11:30 AM
And MS investment was just by chance preceded Xandros divestment? Microsoft never cared about Linux? They must be very stupid then.

Believe what you want, but do some research before attacking me.

That is definition, I give you that. Wrong choice of terminology by me.

I have been around this Industry a little time so I know just a few things.

And I have not attacked you.

Now back on topic

KiwiNZ
June 18th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Adobe products are generally very good especially Photoshop family. But Flash is horrible.

I do not think Adobe needs to or should develop a Linux Distro. The market has enough already.

amitabhishek
June 18th, 2010, 11:41 AM

This!!!

t0p
June 18th, 2010, 01:23 PM
The market has enough [Linux distros] already.

I know that's one point of view: that the multiplicity of distros confuses would-be users and has a negative effect on take-up.

But that pov is misguided. The choice of distros is one of Linux's major strengths. It really doesn't matter if there are 186,282 distros out there - newbies tend to know about just a few (eg Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE) and make a choice accordingly. And the existence of an Adobe distro might encourage users to come over who would otherwise never have migrated to Linux because of their need of PhotoShop or whatever.

If it wasn't for multiplicity I might be a Windows user now. I really didn't like Mandriva or SUSE, and if Shuttleworth hadn't created yet another distro (Ubuntu) I probably would have stuck with XP.

Having said all that: I probably wouldn't use an Adobe Linux distro. I might try it, just to see what they'd inflicted on the world, but then it'd be back to Ubuntu.

RiceMonster
June 18th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I don't like these "if company x made product y, would you use it?" threads. I mean really, how can you really say without seeing any results? Perhaps you can speculate on what it would be like, but you can't really know if it will be good.

ronnielsen1
June 18th, 2010, 01:28 PM
This is the same company we've been asking for shockwave forever, right?

Lucradia
June 18th, 2010, 01:38 PM
No, because it would literally cost you an arm and a leg.

Frogs Hair
June 18th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I don't know without seeing an example . If it was bloated mess like the reader , no way !

emarkay
June 18th, 2010, 04:08 PM
From the folks who brought you the insecure and kludgey "Flash" and "PDF", the faddish and complex-by-design" Photoshop, and their near inscestual relationship with Microsoft?

You have got to be kidding; come on, is this some kind of a Joke?

squilookle
June 18th, 2010, 04:16 PM

No. I'm not an Adobe hater, I have CS4 on my work computer and use parts of it regularly, and all of it is somewhat buggy, and hogs resources more than anything else I use.

Also, I don't have the software for personal use because the costs are prohibitive.

Even if an OS produced by Adobe did not suffer any of these problems, I'm still not sure where it would fit in the market place, to be honest.

sydbat
June 18th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I don't like these "if company x made product y, would you use it?" threads. I mean really, how can you really say without seeing any results? Perhaps you can speculate on what it would be like, but you can't really know if it will be good.This.

If it wasn't for multiplicity I might be a Windows user now. I really didn't like Mandriva or SUSE, and if Shuttleworth hadn't created yet another distro (Ubuntu) I probably would have stuck with XP.And this too.