PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Truecrypt and cryptainer

Zireth ZH
June 17th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Hey guys .. i remember i installed one time cryptainer under wine.. it worked but i couldnt get my way to load a volume i already created... my question is ... can truecrypt read crypatainer volumes?

oracle2b
June 18th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I don't think so, I suggest decrypting the volume on windows or in a virtual machine and copying the contents to a Truecrypt volume. This way you'll have access to your files on either platform.

86themachine
August 2nd, 2011, 08:19 AM
The answer is NO!

Cryptainer and Truecrypt are to completely different programs.
Both programs will run under Ubuntu
There is a Truecrypt program for Linux go to there site and down load it.
(If you meant to say will Cryptainer load a volume created by Cryptainer the answer is yes)

Truecrypt does not care if the encrypted volume you created was made under Linux or Windows either OS will open the others volume. This comes in handy if your data volume is shared by the two operating systems.

Cryptainer should be installed under wine. Cryptainer has a free light version on their website comes in handy if your encrypting email attachments. The receiving party does not need the program as long as you make the attachment executable and provide them with a password. Sending executable programs can be problematic for firewalls and email security so make sure the receiving party can get a file sent in this way.

I would choose Truecrypt for large volume security and Cryptainer for email and small volume transmission(aka attachments) via the web.