PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Changing the screen resolution messes up panel items

Mayuresh Kasture
June 17th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have a lot of items in the panel. The problem occurs when I switch to a lower resolution (for games/projector etc.) When I restore to the original resolution, I find all the panel items messed up. They are not at their positions and not even in the original order. I tried locking them to the panel. But, that did not work. Does anyone know how this problem can be solved or any other workaround?

gadolinio
June 17th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Oh, I hate when that happens!
·How about creating another user specially for those applications? That user could have its launchers messed up, but those wouldn't be your normal user's.
·If the application runs under Wine, you can set wine to emulate a virtual desktop (go to "configure wine", in the corresponding menu). This way, applications don't go full-screen. This is the solution I've found useful for now.
·Another thing you could try, but which I've never done, is hiding your panels. Go to the panel's properties, and activate the hiding buttons. Then hide them before changing the screen resolution, and after you change it back to normal, make your panels appear again.
Hope this helps...

Mayuresh Kasture
June 18th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Hey.. Thanks, buddy... :)

Hiding the panel did not work. But, having a different user for all these applications might be a plausible workaround... :D

gadolinio
June 19th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I'm glad you find it suitable. It's not the most comfortable thing to do, but at least you won't have to rearrange all your launchers again every time you use the app...

lymanjayan
June 19th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Firstly i asked you one question that you have graphics card in your system ? Graphics card is must. You also check that your motherboard drivers should be installed properly. And also check resonance setting.

Mayuresh Kasture
June 19th, 2010, 12:47 PM
@ gadolinio: I totally agree. Even though it is slightly inconvenient, it is definitely lot better than arranging all the launchers one by one; especially, if you use a lot of them...

@ lymanjayan: I am sorry, but I did not get what you were saying. Are you saying that if my machine has a graphics card and if motherboard drivers are properly installed, then panel icons will not change their positions even after a round trip to low resolution zone?

tranduyhung
July 19th, 2010, 04:40 AM
I don't understand about your solution by adding new user, how could you do that? Would you like to explain more for me? Thank you very much!
(Sorry for my English :D)

Mayuresh Kasture
July 19th, 2010, 12:42 PM
You can have a user created specifically for these low resolution applications. Whenever you are planning to use a low resolution app, switch to this user and then, launch the app. This will keep the panel in your main login organized. Hope this explains.