PDA

View Full Version : Are your computer files are big mess?

Kdar
June 17th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I am trying to keep up my pile of files. Removing all those backups when I was using Windows. Kind of want to do fresh install too, and start fresh.

How would you consider your state of files on your system?

conundrumx
June 17th, 2010, 08:25 PM
A place for everything, and everything in its place.

My Desktop and Downloads folders are typical catch alls. The downloads folder keeps stuff for short to medium periods of time, and the desktop is short term only. My ~ has more folders than files in it.

nrs
June 17th, 2010, 08:28 PM
An unavoidable mess. One thing I've never really liked about *nix is the tendency to just plop .programconfig in ~ . ~/.config would be so much nicer. :P

alphaniner
June 17th, 2010, 08:29 PM
As with all other things in my life, my files tend towards entropy until I can't take it any more and have a blow-out organization session.

samalex
June 17th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I am trying to keep up my pile of files. Removing all those backups when I was using Windows. Kind of want to do fresh install too, and start fresh.

How would you consider your state of files on your system?

My system has always been ciaos as far as organization goes. Normally I try to keep things organized along these lines within my home directory:

- Personal
- Media
--- Video
--- Audio
--- Photos
- Email
- Work
- Games
- Downloads
- Applications
--- Linux
--- Windows
--- MacOSX
- Projects
--- Application
--- Web

Granted each folder as more organization within, but this is basically the layout I try to stick to.

Sam

julio_cortez
June 17th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Quite tidy to be honest: my "media" drive has several GBs of songs and every of them is stored in an Artist/Album/track-Title structure.
Every song has its own and correct ID3 tags too.

Also my Windows partition is quite tidy..
There are only 2 folders which have an undescrible mess in them.. The "Downloads" folder (where everything I get off the net is temporarily stored) and the "PES files" folder, in which are stored data files/updates/patches for PES 6 which is more or less the only game I'm still playing.

leef
June 18th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Well a bit of a mess really, I used to end up having lots of files in my home directory but I've been trying to avoid that by creating directories for these files and now I have lots of directories in my home folder :lolflag:.

I guess I'm a bit lazy with the house keeping here because I end up with files and directories from months ago that I should have deleted.

FuturePilot
June 18th, 2010, 12:23 AM
An unavoidable mess. One thing I've never really liked about *nix is the tendency to just plop .programconfig in ~ . ~/.config would be so much nicer. :P

We are slowly moving in that direction. Though there are still a lot of applications that don't follow the XDG spec.

eriktheblu
June 18th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Absolute chaos.

My directory structure makes sense only to me. My music is organized by mood. I have an entire partition set aside for World of Warcraft; it is mounted at ~/games/wowlite.

Kdar
June 18th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Quite tidy to be honest: my "media" drive has several GBs of songs and every of them is stored in an Artist/Album/track-Title structure.
Every song has its own and correct ID3 tags too.

I am trying to create a media-only drive as well. Got all my movies moved out there. Will move music.

undecim
June 18th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I organize files as part of my Sunday cleaning/organization rituals.

Simian Man
June 18th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Mine are immaculately clean. I've actually deleted things because I couldn't think how to organize them in a way that was consistent and logical enough.

steveneddy
June 18th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Everything has a home and everything in it's home.

I have back ups on an external HD and back up to a home server since I travel extensively.

My home and my computers are neat and tidy.

lisati
June 18th, 2010, 01:38 AM
It must be time for me to do a bit of spring cleaning on my external HDDs..... a couple of backups that are probably no longer needed are cluttering things up a bit and could probably be safely deleted, and there are a number of other groups of files that can probably go too.

For the wish list: a new, larger capacity HDD.

ubunterooster
June 18th, 2010, 02:25 AM
I have mine kept immaculate (though the sections dedicated to my fathers data are so bad the name of a file is many times completely unrelated to what it is) And currently have Quad backups so I can go back to an earlier point.

Kdar
June 18th, 2010, 06:55 AM
What I found recently, that I kept multiple copies of same things on different drives.. since I have like 3 external drives..

Was a pain to figure our if I need those files or not.. or if I already have them somewhere or not!

Breambutt
June 18th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I still have IRC logs from the 90's on my main hard drive.

In fact, the vast majority of data on my main HDD is in a folder something like /sortitout/temp/ses/temp/somethingrather/gjkdfg/cleanup/tmp/ ... It's just neverending. Like I could ever be arsed to clean that up and it's only getting worse every day.

Much like my apartment. Well, it's not one of those hideous waste dumps with mold growing on the walls, but order-wise.

It's quite dynamic actually; often used files (music, samples) are rather tidy, easily accessible and everything else is a slobbering mess. I've tried arranging them every now and then but this seemingly random order under mounds of sub-directories is where I find everything instantly. It's like a chronological yet chaotic order.

gnomeuser
June 18th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Yes and No, I keep my media files very organized, my documents sorta organized (especially the RPG books and notes). The rest is kinda hard to correctly catalog.

I also have Tracker to help me, it allows some nice in depth operations and analysis.

marshmallow1304
June 18th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Most of my files are pretty well organized, but I overuse the Desktop. It's a jumble of source archives, scripts, iso images, backed-up conf files, plain-text reminders, and a bunch of folders with even more stuff.

standingwave
June 18th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Hyper-organized. A couple of years ago I got fed up with having to use search to find anything so I went through every directory file by file. Used FsLint (http://packages.debian.org/sid/fslint) to find duplicates and I was surprised at how many there were.

It took a couple of weeks but now I have about 100K files neatly organized into a nested hierarchy. Nothing on the Desktop. New files go into a downloads directory which gets cleaned out regularly. Current files live in a working directory until I'm done with them at which point they are either deleted or filed. It was a pain to get initially organized but it's easy once you do if you stay on top of it.

t0p
June 18th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I have 2 computers plus one external USB HDD, and I have some files that appear on all three devices! I try to regard it as a back-up system... I try to keep directory structure orderly, eg Documents, Music, Video, Insecurity, Podcasts, Hacking... but also the ~/Desktop directories on both my computers are absolutely full of stuff I've downloaded and not gotten round to putting away yet. Some of those files have been in ~?Desktop for over a year!

One day I'll get round to clearing up. Though I dread the thought of a day when I'm that bored!

98cwitr
June 18th, 2010, 01:01 PM
/home is relatively clean actually :)

RiceMonster
June 18th, 2010, 01:13 PM
There's some organization, but it could be cleaner. My Music, Code and Video directories are very clean, but Pictures and Documents could use some cleaning up.

mystmaiden
June 18th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Yep, always. I know where everything is, and there is some method in my madness but if someone else looked into my files they'd probably freak. Now my external drive is another story - its just plain crazy.

The Real Dave
June 18th, 2010, 01:24 PM
There's some folders on my Desktop I need to clean up, backups of flash drives. Other than that and my Documents folder, everything is perfectly organsied. Having stuff everywhere seriously irritates me >.<

gemmakaru
June 18th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Should "Music Videos" go under Music or Videos? /brain explosion

RiceMonster
June 18th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Should "Music Videos" go under Music or Videos? /brain explosion

My opinion: Make a directory under Videos called "Music Videos" :)

Or, you could always make an entirely independant directory called "Music Videos". Up to you, really.

Chame_Wizard
June 18th, 2010, 05:14 PM
With Dolphin as file managers,I don't have problems at all.:lolflag:

ubunterooster
June 18th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Put it in the Videos folder and make a link to it from music so you can get there from either place ;)

Kdar
June 18th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I also have Tracker to help me, it allows some nice in depth operations and analysis.

What kind of tracker?

Hyper-organized. A couple of years ago I got fed up with having to use search to find anything so I went through every directory file by file. Used FsLint (http://packages.debian.org/sid/fslint) to find duplicates and I was surprised at how many there were.

Will try this.

mrgs
June 18th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I have one primary drive which is neat and tidy, but most of the other drives are a mess.

Some hoarding tendencies? Guilty as charged :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_hoarding#Digital_hoarding

AlphaLexman
June 18th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I have always wanted to make a bunch of links from crazy places so I could find those lost files. If I had a music video in ~/Videos/MusicVideos/ I could have a link in ~/Music/Artist/ or ~/Music/VariousArtists/Some_Movie_Soudtrack/03-Red_Hot_Chili_Peppers-Under_The Bridge.mp3 linked to ~/Music/Red_Hot_Chili_Peppers/VariousAlbums/Under_The_Bridge.mp3

But I have NEVER gotten around to it yet!