PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing over a previous distribution

Quidam29
June 17th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I just received a CD to install Ubuntu. I already have a Linux distribution installed (Mandrake 10).
Is it possible to replace Mandrake with Ubuntu and keep all my files or do I have to save them and import them after installing Ubuntu?

irv
June 17th, 2010, 08:23 PM
A couple of question. Do you have your /home/"username" on it own partition? If not then you need to backup your files and then bring them back after a fresh install of Ubuntu. Or are you planning to do a dual boot with the other OS? If so you will be able to get at the files after installing Ubuntu. And the last question; is your hard drive big enough to install both OS's?

Edit: what ever you do backup your file first.

Quidam29
June 17th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I do have home on its own partition but is it the same as /home/"username. I do not want dual boot with mandrake but with Windows yes which I already have. If I have to back up, where do I back up since the disk will be erased? I have a flash disk but it doesn't take linux files as far as I know.

irv
June 17th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I do have home on its own partition but is it the same as /home/"username. I do not want dual boot with mandrake but with Windows yes which I already have. If I have to back up, where do I back up since the disk will be erased? I have a flash disk but it doesn't take linux files as far as I know.

I would think the flash drive is readable in Linux. Are your files in Windows and Linux? If so just backup from both OS's on the flash drive. Remove the flash drive before installing so you do not accidentally destroy your backups.
When you go to install Ubuntu, it will ask if you want to install alongside the other OS's, if you say yes you will keep what you have and install Ubuntu. You will end up with three OS's. If this is not what you want (only Windows and Ubuntu) you will need to manually partition you Hard drive and if this is the first time you are doing this you may need help with this.
You may want to do a little reading: Start here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition

garvinrick4
June 17th, 2010, 08:49 PM
It will take Linux files. If you want to format as Fat32 which it most likely is anyway.
As long as the /home is on a seperate partition and you do not reformat it, it will retain
your files. Just put Ubuntu in the same sdaX that you are using now for / install.

Quidam29
June 17th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Thank you to RV and Garvinrick4 for the quick reply. This should give me enough to get it done I think

wojox
June 17th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Even with /home on a separate partition I would still back it up.

gadolinio
June 17th, 2010, 10:58 PM
It will take Linux files. If you want to format as Fat32 which it most likely is anyway.
As long as the /home is on a seperate partition and you do not reformat it, it will retain
your files. Just put Ubuntu in the same sdaX that you are using now for / install.

Even with /home on a separate partition I would still back it up.

I agree with both.
Backup your files, just in case. It's a good practice before this kind of task.
And just install ubuntu in mandriva's partition.