PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Best Wireless N USB Adapter

SilverDragon
June 17th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I tried searching for recommendations on a Linux compatible wireless N USB adapter but most of the results are people having issues with them.

I also found this site:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported
which does look useful but I thought I would ask for personal experiences/opinions.

Usually I wouldn't mind playing around with the command line and other things to get a wireless adapter to work but at college they are removing the wired connections and only letting us connect to the internet through wireless. For that reason if I had to or wanted to reinstall I would like to be able to get back online with a wireless usb adapter that works out of the box.

My current wireless USB adapter is from Dynex which does not work but it is not listed on the site I linked earlier so that is understandable.

I would prefer Linksys but anything that works would be great :)

Rey117
June 17th, 2010, 04:33 PM
after some help from people here at the forums the Linksys AE1000 has been really good.

SilverDragon
June 17th, 2010, 06:21 PM
The Linksys AE1000 looks pretty good and even looks like a new model. I was considering the Linksys USB600N because I had heard of it but the tutorial you followed did not seem that complicated. Is there a big difference between the two?

Yes I do. but i got it working now. i had to sudo ifconfig ra0 up and bring down my wlan0 and reboot...I really really appreciate your help thank you.

If I read through your thread correctly you ended up doing what I quoted after following the initial tutorial and it worked?