PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP - Did software update and now Blinking cursor Curse

ceaser_one
June 17th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Help please.

I am a newbie to Ubuntu. I installed 9.04 version few months ago and I am running my VM sessions on it. No problems until today.

I go into software manager, and do the normal updates that were available. Updates were installed successfully.

For a sanity check, I do a restart of the PC using the restart command.

Now -- It is toast.

It boots into a blinking curser (Black Screen of Death). I can't do anything.....I can type stuff that shows up in the screen. It takes no commands.

I have rebooted couple of times. Hit CTRL+ALT+F2 -- does not do anything.

Any ideas on what is going on? I mean, it was just a simple, stupid updates from update manager on Ubuntu.

This is worse than windows because I don't have any error message so I can't even troubleshoot.

If anyone has ideas, I would appreciate it. I don't want to revert this machine to Windows, but that might be my only choice to recover my VM sessions and get them up and running.

Thank You.

Amit

darkod
June 17th, 2010, 01:32 PM
The 9.04 version was already rather old few months ago. Any particular reason you decided to install it and not 9.10 or 10.04?

Did you only do UPDATES, like security updates, software updates, etc, or UPGRADE to 9.10? There is difference.

If you have your 9.04 cd at hand boot with it into live mode, download the boot info script in my signature, run it and post the content of the results file as explained here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8844901&postcount=4

ceaser_one
June 17th, 2010, 03:30 PM
It seems that I had to wait for an hour or 2 for it to finish whatever it needed to do.
Now it has booted into the desktop and everything seems to be working.

Thank You for your help.

Amit

Cornbreadly
June 18th, 2010, 03:16 AM
I am having the same issue. Blinking cursor instead of a ubuntu 10.04. I update regularly. It may have been recent. i am typing this from my netbook as the blinking has been going on for about 45 minutes.

I tried a live cd to get it up but that didn't boot. It got to a purple b/g with white text showing that 10.04 was loading... it never did and i gave it 20 minutes.

Nicer pc. dual core 3 ghz amd with 8 gb ram. working fine before I turned it off. Should I just give it time?