PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer One: the first free and legal BitTorrent "TV" series

lovinglinux
June 17th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Very nice sci-fi series, distributed through VODO.

http://tinyurl.com/24mhngz

Watch the trailer (http://vimeo.com/12068097)

Download (http://vodo.net/pioneerone)

You can help support the production of the next episodes, by making a small donation and helping to spread the series to friends, family, co-workers and blog readers.

Also don't forget to seed it as long as you can.

alphaniner
June 17th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Thanks from a fellow starved Sci-Fi fan. I'm downloading now.

lovinglinux
June 17th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Thanks from a fellow starved Sci-Fi fan. I'm downloading now.

You are welcome. Please help to spread it. The continuation of this series depend on us.

cj.surrusco
June 17th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Will they really be making enough profit to keep this show running that long?

I would imagine that the costs to produce a TV show far outweigh the donations that they will receive.

chris200x9
June 17th, 2010, 04:48 AM
that one dude looks freaky...

lovinglinux
June 17th, 2010, 05:08 AM

I guess a lot of people asked the same question when the first version of Linux was released :)

I would imagine that the costs to produce a TV show far outweigh the donations that they will receive.

The first episode was shot with $6000. Nevertheless, the quality is really good. Of course is not fancy like mainstream productions, but I have watched 20 minutes so far and I'm really excited. The story is a lot more interesting than many mainstream series. Some shots are made in "documentary" style, switching from one actor to another without cuts, but they also use multiple-angle shots, which looks like a multiple-camera setup. A couple of actors could have better performances, but this doesn't make it a bad show.

I'm really looking forward to see the next episode and I hope they succeed making this series viable.

buddyd16
June 17th, 2010, 05:28 AM
This should be another avenue for studios. I figure if sites like Hulu can exist on advertisement within shows why not cut out the middle man and provide a torrent with a few ads throughout the show. The ad space on a torrent would most likely be much more desirable than the ad space on a site like hulu or even tv as the # of eyes on product would be massive with a torrent.

Personally I could careless if there are advertisements as long as I can watch my shows as conveniently as possible.

lovinglinux
June 17th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Get news and behind the scenes from the series web site (http://www.pioneerone.tv).

cj.surrusco
June 17th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I'm very impressed by the first 25 min considering that it was made with only 6 grand.

lovinglinux
June 17th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I'm very impressed by the first 25 min considering that it was made with only 6 grand.

I just finished it. I can't wait for the next episode.

cj.surrusco
June 17th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I just finished it. I can't wait for the next episode.

So did I, they really got me excited for the next episode.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 17th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Yeah, I was pretty impressed, too! (Although I swear they're trying to do a Mulder and Skully (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_X-Files) thing with the two leads :P)

There are quite a few projects like this one happening lately. The Cosmonaut (http://thecosmonaut.org/) is another very powerful effort, in its case a feature film.

I totally agree with you, buddyd16. We're finally realizing that amazing democratizing strength of the Internet as a distribution method. Anybody can distribute content now! The complex supply chains and funding buckets are way less important thanks to automation and the portability of digital content. They are being reduced to very simple dumb pipes that aren't required to get a job done. (Not that they're useless, of course).

Naturally, the people who run those corporations will be terrified, but it has the potential to create a very interesting media ecosystem. Fewer enormously rich people, with that wealth fairly distributed between all the people who actually do stuff.

It's been possible for a long time, but the idea is really building momentum. The next few years are going to be amazing. (If we don't drown ourselves in oil).

poisonkiller
June 17th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Seems a pretty good show. :)
A bit less special effects than usual, but the storyline makes up for it. But that makes me think - why did they choose a sci-fi type, not a "normal" type (like Psych, Mentalist, Breaking Bad, Greys Anatomy etc). Then special effects wouldn't be needed and it could look more "professional".

lovinglinux
June 17th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Yeah, I was pretty impressed, too! (Although I swear they're trying to do a Mulder and Skully (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_X-Files) thing with the two leads :P)

There are quite a few projects like this one happening lately. The Cosmonaut (http://thecosmonaut.org/) is another very powerful effort, in its case a feature film.

I totally agree with you, buddyd16. We're finally realizing that amazing democratizing strength of the Internet as a distribution method. Anybody can distribute content now! The complex supply chains and funding buckets are way less important thanks to automation and the portability of digital content. They are being reduced to very simple dumb pipes that aren't required to get a job done. (Not that they're useless, of course).

Naturally, the people who run those corporations will be terrified, but it has the potential to create a very interesting media ecosystem. Fewer enormously rich people, with that wealth fairly distributed between all the people who actually do stuff.

It's been possible for a long time, but the idea is really building momentum. The next few years are going to be amazing. (If we don't drown ourselves in oil).

Well said. Thanks for the Cosmonaut link. It sounds really cool too.

Seems a pretty good show. :)
A bit less special effects than usual, but the storyline makes up for it. But that makes me think - why did they choose a sci-fi type, not a "normal" type (like Psych, Mentalist, Breaking Bad, Greys Anatomy etc). Then special effects wouldn't be needed and it could look more "professional".

I'm happy they choose sci-fi, since is my favorite genre, but I agree would be easier to choose a normal drama. Nevertheless, it makes me remember the movie Moon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/), which didn't have many effects and was shot on a very small set. Very nice movie btw.

cj.surrusco
June 17th, 2010, 08:12 PM
It seems to be getting a decent amount of publicity, too. They have an ad on the homepage of thepiratebay.org.

Also, I read that it is automatically added to the torrent list when you install utorrent (don't know if that is true).

Glad to see something like this getting exposed to the non-Linux community.

lovinglinux
June 17th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Also, I read that it is automatically added to the torrent list when you install utorrent (don't know if that is true).

Probably, since BitTorrent is supporting VODO, along with Pirate Bay and a bunch other big players.

donkyhotay
June 17th, 2010, 08:47 PM
The concept interests me, I'll have to download it and check it out.

wojox
June 17th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I'm happy they choose sci-fi, since is my favorite genre, but I agree would be easier to choose a normal drama. Nevertheless, it makes me remember the movie Moon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/), which didn't have many effects and was shot on a very small set. Very nice movie btw.

+1 Moon was a great movie. A little weird but great.

madjr
June 17th, 2010, 08:51 PM
webby awards is cool formal awards for online series and internet stuff:

http://www.webbyawards.com/

alphaniner
June 18th, 2010, 01:08 AM
The story is compelling, but I was quite underwhelmed by the acting, the lead character in particular. The only line that I felt was really sold was the Mars scientist bad-mouthing the TSA, but just about anyone who has flown in America in the last decade could have pulled that off. Otherwise, only Agent Larson (the linguist) seemed to have a halfway decent presence, but then certain, erm, predispositions may be biasing me in her favour.

magmon
June 18th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Some unnecessary camera zoom at times, some rather corny acting, but not bad for such a low budget. I'll keep seeding through tomorrow =P.

chris200x9
June 18th, 2010, 03:56 AM
I just downloaded it to seed, y'know "fight the power" not thinking I would be interested. I just watched it, this series is really good! Watch it now!

Странник
June 18th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Just watched it. Not bad, but they need to do a rerelease and fix the factological errors.
For one Baikonur is not in Russia

Warpnow
June 18th, 2010, 09:36 AM
The show seems good. The plot is decent enough. The actual screenplay is too slow moving I think, but still perfectly good.

However, there's something off about the shots. The inconsistency of the lighting and shots is a put off. The show lacks a "feel" when it comes to film work. They change up the shots too much. From light backgrounds immediately to dark backgrounds. Indoor to outdoor cuts, such as the phone conversation halfway through. Plus the difference of placing from one shot to the other makes me think they didn't adequately storyboard before shooting. People move too much from one shot to the next, left side of the screen, right, ect, ect. The quickness of this makes watching the show just seem like something is off. In addition, they're obviously a digital camera, which is to be expected on their budget, but from what I've seen, you have to make up for that with perfect lighting. Meh, I'm not a professional by any means, just a hobbyist who used to enter festivals, and that's my take.

The best part is easily the acting. I don't know where they got such talented actors on a low budget. I've been through that before, trying to get actors when you have no money. You get alot of offers, but not alot of good offers. I was very impressed by the acting.

ukripper
June 18th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Great Effort, I'll watch it after England's WIN tonight :guitar:

Random_Dude
June 18th, 2010, 10:50 AM

Well, they can always get some sponsors.
Not really my type of TV Show, but maybe I'll take a look when I have the time.

Thanks for sharing. :cool:

Warpnow
June 19th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I'd also like to note that I found the PSA at the beginning to be annoying, idiotic, and useless. It biased me negatively towards the whole show...

Plus, I don't want them to try and force me to watch their little crappy PSA. I mean, seriously...I want to watch the show, not some guy talk about some unimportant aspect of existance for 5 mintues.

</rant>

undecim
June 19th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Only thing I don't like about it is the cinemetography. The camera behaves like the POV of a person there, which seems kind of awkward. Then again, maybe I'm just used to fancy multi-million dollar movies. But I suppose it was a lot easier to make it this way (less editting, less camera setup, etc)

Other than that though, I love it. I hope that they get the money to produce the rest of the series. The pilot has me hooked.

kamaboko
June 19th, 2010, 02:31 PM
If you want to see more of this series don't forget to contribute $$. Lowest amount is $5. I'm sure anyone here can afford that.

DeadSuperHero
June 19th, 2010, 03:31 PM
It would be even better if this ended up becoming a Creative Commons-licensed series. I could see it taking off as an "open franchise" so to speak.

lovinglinux
June 19th, 2010, 05:19 PM
It would be even better if this ended up becoming a Creative Commons-licensed series. I could see it taking off as an "open franchise" so to speak.

It is already CC. Watch it and you will see.

Kdar
June 19th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I saw abut this few days on thepiratebay

Going to download it soon!

cj.surrusco
June 19th, 2010, 05:56 PM
How often to they plan on releasing new episodes?

kamaboko
June 19th, 2010, 06:25 PM
How often to they plan on releasing new episodes?

They're relying on viewer contributions. If you like it, drop them $5. They need $20K to produce the next three episodes....so around $6600 and some change per episode.

lovinglinux
June 19th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Another BitTorrent movie:

http://www.thetunnelmovie.net

lovinglinux
June 19th, 2010, 06:27 PM
They're relying on viewer contributions. If you like it, drop them $5. They need $20K to produce the next three episodes....so around $6600 and some change per episode.

Make your donation as soon as you can, so they can produce it sooner. Already made a donation.

cj.surrusco
June 19th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Another BitTorrent movie:

http://www.thetunnelmovie.net

Awesome! Thanks for the link!

doomdragon
June 20th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Not bad quite enjoyable. It's good to see good independent film. I'm not knocking things like star wreck but for a change it's good to see something a little bit more intelligible and sci-fi to boot. anybody know websites where there is more good indie films/programmes?

Kdar
June 22nd, 2010, 11:06 PM
$13000 are already donated. man, thats fast.

I can't wait to know what they will come up for 2nd video.

lovinglinux
June 22nd, 2010, 11:51 PM

That's awesome.

spoons
June 23rd, 2010, 12:32 AM

That means about $3000 in a day then, because I checked earlier today and it was at $10,000.

I must say, it's not that bad. Though once the cast gain experience I think they should re-shoot and re-edit the pilot at the end of the season. The pilot is often the showcase for the whole series and it's important that it's the best one.

lovinglinux
June 23rd, 2010, 12:41 AM
That means about $3000 in a day then, because I checked earlier today and it was at $10,000.

$13,000 in six days I guess, because the pilot was released on June 16th.

Stancel
June 23rd, 2010, 02:47 AM
I'm watching it on YouTube. for some reason it doesn't run smoothly on any of my media players. even though they all support MKV files. no matter which one I use, it gets to the part where the two people are talking about writing a resume, the audio continues...but the video freezes and skips. but that might be just me.

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UCBk6LTmNY)'s the whole episode on YouTube.

lovinglinux
June 23rd, 2010, 02:50 AM
I'm watching it on YouTube. for some reason it doesn't run smoothly on any of my media players. even though they all support MKV files. no matter which one I use, it gets to the part where the two people are talking about writing a resume, the audio continues...but the video freezes and skips. but that might be just me.

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UCBk6LTmNY)'s the whole episode on YouTube.

See Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683) and Flash Optimization (http://firefox-tutorials.blogspot.com/2010/05/flash-optimization.html).

lovinglinux
June 23rd, 2010, 06:04 PM
$13,000 in six days I guess, because the pilot was released on June 16th.

Last update: $14,380 =D>

lovinglinux
June 24th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Last update: $15,047

I just saw on their twitter that they are about to announce when the next episodes will be available.

lovinglinux
June 25th, 2010, 09:44 PM
$17,186 donated so far. (Last update June 25 10:12 PM GMT)
Donation target $20,000 (to fund the next three episodes)

JoelKrause
June 26th, 2010, 02:50 AM
This looks really cool! I'll look into it, and possibly download it!

Dustin2128
June 26th, 2010, 04:26 AM
the show was amazing if a bit poorly produced even with a budget of 6000$. The only thing that really killed me though was the camera shake. That said I cannot wait for the second episode and hope they do well in the years to come. This could prove to be a model for future TV shows, movies and other media that work with computers instead of against them. (DRM anyone?)

MechaMechanism
June 26th, 2010, 06:21 AM
I saw 30 seconds of this and went gahh :-({|=. If this is the future of TV, then kill me now. With very few exceptions, most Internet TV shows royally suck when I try them out. So far I have been talking about fictions shows. Non fiction shows are really great. Pioneer One only reinforces my belief that generally good TV shows need a lot of money, like in the range of several hundred thousands to millions. Everyone, please continue to pay your cable bills and watch the commercials so I can continue to download excellent TV via bittorrent, thank you.

donkyhotay
June 26th, 2010, 02:32 PM
The camera shake was annoying but not a major issue for me. The story just didn't interest me as much as I thought it would. I'm hopeful it'll be successfull (I like their business plan) and that the story will pick up (the concept has potential) but I'm not interested in it enough to actually donate.

lovinglinux
June 26th, 2010, 05:19 PM
$18,101 donated so far. (Last update June 26 2:03 PM GMT)

cascade9
June 26th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Not bad, I kind of enjoyed the 1st episode, and since there is $18K in the kittie now (after only 1 week!) I'm sure that they will finish the series, and hopefully go on to other things.

Good luck to all involved in the project ;)

If you want to see more of this series don't forget to contribute $$. Lowest amount is $5. I'm sure anyone here can afford that.

Actually, there is a 'donate any amount' button you've missed.

You dont have to donate the 5/10/25/100 amounts ;)

lovinglinux
June 28th, 2010, 01:01 AM
$19,511 donated so far. (Last update June 27 10:44 PM GMT)

Almost there.

Dustin2128
June 28th, 2010, 02:40 AM
I saw 30 seconds of this and went gahh :-({|=. If this is the future of TV, then kill me now. With very few exceptions, most Internet TV shows royally suck when I try them out. So far I have been talking about fictions shows. Non fiction shows are really great. Pioneer One only reinforces my belief that generally good TV shows need a lot of money, like in the range of several hundred thousands to millions. Everyone, please continue to pay your cable bills and watch the commercials so I can continue to download excellent TV via bittorrent, thank you.
Watch more than the first 30 seconds; the beginning was a bit... slow? corny? Afterwards it gets quite interesting and it even feels a little Hollywood.

lovinglinux
June 29th, 2010, 06:33 PM
$20,224 donated so far. (Last update June 28 9:13 PM GMT)

We've reached the donation target of $20,000 in one and a half weeks. Thanks to everyone who's supported the future of this show. If you haven't donated yet, please do! Every cent goes to the development and success of Pioneer One.

Cool. I can't wait for the next 3 episodes.

cj.surrusco
June 30th, 2010, 02:55 AM
$20,224 donated so far. (Last update June 28 9:13 PM GMT)

We've reached the donation target of $20,000 in one and a half weeks. Thanks to everyone who's supported the future of this show. If you haven't donated yet, please do! Every cent goes to the development and success of Pioneer One.

So when do they start filming the next three episodes? Or have they already?

lovinglinux
June 30th, 2010, 03:07 AM
So when do they start filming the next three episodes? Or have they already?

I have no idea. They haven't announced yet.

bigsmitty64
June 30th, 2010, 07:58 AM
From the Pioneer One Facebook: LINK
(http://www.facebook.com/pioneerone/posts/131759913513638)
Production will resume on the next batch of episodes in early September, debuting on a regular schedule by the end of the year. Thanks for making this possible with your donations! We'll be continuing our video blogs, so stay tuned (can we still say that on the internet?)

Great stuff, loved the first one!

lovinglinux
June 30th, 2010, 10:22 AM
From the Pioneer One Facebook: LINK
(http://www.facebook.com/pioneerone/posts/131759913513638)
Production will resume on the next batch of episodes in early September, debuting on a regular schedule by the end of the year. Thanks for making this possible with your donations! We'll be continuing our video blogs, so stay tuned (can we still say that on the internet?)

Great stuff, loved the first one!

End of the year? OMG...just like BSG season gaps :)

Here is the explanation:

Thanks guys. We realized that we can't build an audience if we keep people waiting an indeterminate amount of time between episodes, so doing them in a block seemed the best way to go. Hopefully it will be worth the wait ;)

gnomeuser
June 30th, 2010, 10:28 AM
The acting wasn't that impressive but I like the general idea, some what understated in it's execution. I would like to see more so I donated a bit to make the next 4 episodes happen.

I am hoping with a bit more episodes out there and some more expositor they will be able to build a business model around this form of distribution. Still the 20k they collected this time still only covers a bit of their expenses, they still rely on volunteers so to be more realistic we'd probably look at 50-100k an episode. I still think that is entirely possible to do on a donation basis.

lovinglinux
December 15th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Episode 2 is out! Woohoo!

http://vodo.net/pioneerone

Episode 3's release is slated for some time in January, with episode 4 to follow the following month. These next three episodes were made possible by you guys. We can't thank you enough for making this show possible.

They are now collecting donations to finish the final two episodes of the first season.

Kdar
December 15th, 2010, 08:41 PM
wow nice!!!

I was waiting and waiting for it

Have you watched it yet?

gnomeuser
December 15th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Like the first episode the budget is reflected in the acting, but the idea is good and the story is compelling. The first episode did have a better cliffhanger ending though.

I have high hopes for Pioneer One and I will continue donating to have it produced. I know I am not getting a million bucks an episode production budget but they do amazing things with very few resources making it look quite professional.

The ad break for the t-shirt in the middle though annoyed me, one of the things we want to get rid of from the traditional TV world is ad breaks.

lovinglinux
December 15th, 2010, 10:20 PM
wow nice!!!

I was waiting and waiting for it

Have you watched it yet?

Nope. Still downloading. 33 minutes to go :)

The ad break for the t-shirt in the middle though annoyed me, one of the things we want to get rid of from the traditional TV world is ad breaks.

I wouldn't mind about a short ad at the beginning of the video, but in the middle is a bummer.

Dustin2128
December 16th, 2010, 12:39 AM
gaaah! why must they torture us with the long episode release schedule?

godhika
December 16th, 2010, 01:01 AM
when is the third scheduled? Really like the series so far, can't hardly wait.

lovinglinux
December 16th, 2010, 01:03 AM
gaaah! why must they torture us with the long episode release schedule?

Because they had to raise the money to produce new episodes.

when is the third scheduled? Really like the series so far, can't hardly wait.

The 3rd episode in January, The 4th in February. They are both produced already. They still need money to produce the remaining two episodes of this season.

Dustin2128
December 16th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Because they had to raise the money to produce new episodes.

I know, I know, but they've already got them produced...

lovinglinux
December 16th, 2010, 03:17 AM
I know, I know, but they've already got them produced...

I guess they are doing this way to reduce the gap between the last produced episode and the first to be produced.

cj.surrusco
December 16th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Well, I forgot most of the first episode, so I'll probably have to watch it again before watching the second episode, but I'm excited to see what comes next.

handy
December 16th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Well, I forgot most of the first episode, so I'll probably have to watch it again before watching the second episode, but I'm excited to see what comes next.

That is a bit of a problem with the series. I have a deteriorating memory, so I'd forget what I watched a month ago or so.

What I may do is save up a seasons worth of episodes & watch them all in one or two sessions.

I'd probably get more out of it that way.

lovinglinux
March 16th, 2011, 08:21 PM
New episode!

We are pleased to announce the official release date for episode 3 of Pioneer One: Monday, March 28th. An official release date for episode 4 will be announced soon, but we plan to release it within weeks of 3.

We also have a start date for production on episodes 5 and 6: May 5. Whatever money we raise between now and then is what we'll have to make those episodes, so we're hoping 3 and 4 will get us some new fans who want to see more!

Thank you again for your support and your patience!

-The 'Pioneer One' Team

cj.surrusco
March 16th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Nice! Looking forward to seeing it.

Quadunit404
March 16th, 2011, 10:41 PM
So I finally decided to watch the pilot episode to see what all the hype's about.

I'm over three minutes in and already this is better than practically all the shows displayed on TV nowadays. The characters sound like humans rather than actors just reading lines off a script, the costumes are great, the plot is well-written and the sets are amazing. And to think the pilot episode was done on a budget of $6000... simply incredible. I'll be sure to seed the next episode as soon as it hits the 'net.

Quadunit404
March 28th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Pioneer One episode 3 is out! Just finished downloading and seeding right now.

spoons
March 28th, 2011, 11:59 PM
"I'm a doctor, not a cartographer!"

Haha. Think I know where they got that line. Bald McCoy!

kostageas
March 29th, 2011, 03:23 AM
I agree with the idea of putting a few ads during the show. Like commercials but skippable (obviously) so that they could generate revenue to keep it going.

ve4cib
March 29th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I watched the pilot back when it was first released and just finished watching episodes 2 and 3 a few minutes ago. Definitely enjoyable, and far better than most of the "reality" shows that seem to permeate the airwaves.

My only complaints are that the sets look... well, like sets and some of the costumes (esp military ones) are a bit sketchy. "CFB Calgary" looks nothing like a military base, and the soldiers weren't even wearing proper Canadian uniforms. And the isolation room they have Yuri in doesn't look right to me at all. And the way they have all these really dark rooms -- presumably to hide the background so we don't see whatever the set really is -- doesn't strike me as realistic. It's stylish, but not realistic.

And why did they bother giving the nurse in episode 3 a mask when she doesn't even wear it? I mean, we've established that this patient has no immune system, so let's just send stranger after stranger into the room to breathe on him. I'm sure that will help him stay alive longer.

I understand they're working on a tiny budget, and that naturally some corners need to be cut, but it's these kinds of details that just irk me.

All that having been said, the story and the writing are good, and the acting is acceptable. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how the season wraps up.

lovinglinux
December 16th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Final episode and the other five are available for download:

Linuxratty
December 17th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I'm watching it on YouTube.

Thank you!:popcorn:

Quadunit404
December 17th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Final season 1 episode and the other five are available for download:

Fixed, as this is the Season 1 finale, not the series finale.

Docaltmed
December 17th, 2011, 04:30 AM
I saw 30 seconds of this and went gahh :-({|=. If this is the future of TV, then kill me now. With very few exceptions, most Internet TV shows royally suck when I try them out.

Felicia Day.

Check and mate.