PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help installing Wine

Admiral1234
June 17th, 2010, 03:30 AM
I am running Ubuntu Desktop 10.04 booting from a usb driver. I don't know if that is the problem, but i want to be sure everything works before i permenantly switch to ubuntu. When I try to install Wine, it gives me this error message 'Can not install 'wine' (E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.)'. And when I try to get it on software center, it tells me wine isn't available for my computer.

leorolla
June 17th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Can you open a terminal and run

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
and copy-paste here the outputs?

Chame_Wizard
June 17th, 2010, 08:17 PM
You're running Lucid Lynx from a USB driver,it can give problems.

Admiral1234
June 17th, 2010, 08:36 PM
You're running Lucid Lynx from a USB driver,it can give problems.

If I install Ubuntu from a CD, will I be able to install wine?

Chame_Wizard
June 17th, 2010, 09:27 PM
If I install Ubuntu from a CD, will I be able to install wine?

You wan to try something?

gadolinio
June 17th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I am running Ubuntu Desktop 10.04 booting from a usb driver. I don't know if that is the problem, but i want to be sure everything works before i permenantly switch to ubuntu. When I try to install Wine, it gives me this error message 'Can not install 'wine' (E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.)'. And when I try to get it on software center, it tells me wine isn't available for my computer.

That "broken packages" thing sounds to me like a specific problem that took place in your current system/session. Have you tried shuting down the computer and then booting again with the usb in?
I've never had a problem with wine, although I don't remember ever trying to instal it from a liveCD or liveUSB. Don't know whether a full install can be necessary.