PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] External USB Hard drive/CD Drive not detected

Carthorse
June 16th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I have an external usb hdd and CD-drive. Both work fine on both of my netbooks, Acer Aspire One's, a 110 and a D150. One is running 9.10, the other Win XP. However, neither drives even show up on my desktop, running 10.04 (64bit). I'm not sure if it's an Ubuntu problem tbh: A live cd of 9.10 (32bit) doesn't detect them, either. What I find strange is that other devices work fine in my usb ports, such as flash drives, ZTE modem, card-readers, HP printer.... lsusb doesn't show anything when the CD/HDD are plugged in. My first thoughts are BIOS-related but I'm not sure what I would need to check. I've turned on (and off) Legacy support, which I needed for my wireless keyboard and mouse, at first. My desktop mobo is fairly new AsRock, a year or so old. Bit of a pain, I intended to transfer music/vids etc to the external drive so I could use it on my netbook at work. Any suggestions?

Carthorse
June 22nd, 2010, 08:47 PM
The answer, as I have found out, was simple. However, it raises questions about this motherboard.
Simply a matter of not enough power to the USB ports. I could understand this on a laptop but not on a desktop with a 550w PSU and modern board.
I had to plug in the double-ended cable to the ports on the rear of my case. In addition, I could not use the ports on the front while the external HDD is in use.