PDA

View Full Version : yahoo messenger on linux

zithedragon
June 16th, 2010, 09:51 PM
just to say i am not sure where else to post this or if anyone did something like this before but i'm wanting yahoo to have a native install onto Linux and so far it seems that they are will to do that if people actually tell them and such so i'm wanting to put this up for people to say they want a yahoo messenger port so that there is full support of the messenger

and yes i know there are 3rd party ports but they mess up a lot for me when sending small files, voice chat and such...and wine doesn't always work for it and i don't want to have windows on this computer

also im sending a link of this to yahoo so yea thats the point for the poll

you can also tell yahoo directly by there contact page (http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/homepage/homepage/general-99.html;_ylt=AiyJQ7VsC227BVvFIFERPzHQXyl4?from_url =http%3A%2F%2Fhelp.yahoo.com%2Fl%2Fus%2Fyahoo%2Fho mepage%2Fhomepage%2F&last_url=http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/homepage/homepage/index.html)

zithedragon
June 21st, 2010, 04:41 AM
well i was told by yahoo that it might happen but it have to fit in with there fixed development costs so theres no telling when they might set up a linux one

Hman242
June 21st, 2010, 04:44 AM
If it included video chat I would probably use it. Pidgin works fine now though, it's not a big deal.

pwnst*r
June 21st, 2010, 04:49 AM
Do you have proof that they said this?

Primefalcon
June 21st, 2010, 04:51 AM
no point the built-in messenger in Ubuntu is a lot better

pwnst*r
June 21st, 2010, 04:56 AM

I would have to agree with this. And before someone screams "omg yahoo video chat", it sucks, plain and simple.

kamaboko
June 21st, 2010, 05:05 AM
i just use skype.

proggy
June 21st, 2010, 05:20 AM
I use Gyachi and like it so much i wish it was ported to windows,\\:D/

zithedragon
July 28th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Do you have proof that they said this?

i did but i had to re-install ubuntu and forgot to backup my saved emails because i use att yahoo were i use pop to get all my emails on the computer.....i do know they used to be working on a unix port but it stopped because not many people were trying it and ether way it depends on them actually fitting it into there cost

thats what a lot of people say but theres been a lot of times when i try to send a small file to someone it doesn't send at all which is a bit of a inconvenience

Simian Man
July 28th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Why would you use yahoo messenger on any OS?

earthpigg
July 28th, 2010, 10:19 PM
If yahoo doesn't want my business, I am ok with that.

They do not have a monopoly on video chat.

TheNessus
July 28th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Yahoo is one of the companies that I wonder why they still exist. Their search engine is obsolete, their messenger technology is marginal, their website-portal is a relic of the past... What do they have to offer at all?

CoffeeCoder
July 28th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Yahoo is pretty cruddy.

I haven't been able to get my yahoo email account to work in AGES; it annoyed me. I do use the IM service, but with Pidgin/Empathy. I never liked the actual Messenger application. :P

Pidgin and Empathy for the win!

jrusso2
July 28th, 2010, 11:57 PM
None of you seems to realize there is a yahoo chat that needs a client and only pidgin and gyachi partially work with no video or audio or in the case of gyachi instability.

kakakhushi
August 6th, 2010, 02:50 PM
despite what every one says, there are people in the world who use Yahoo messenger and we (I) need to video chat with one and Linux has no solution for it, despite all the fuss the Linux ppl make that you can do every thing in Linux it lacks these small features that make it hard for us to switch to it.

Spice Weasel
August 6th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Why don't you use Skype? It's seriously much better, especially now (anyone remember when it first came out? ARRRRRRRGHHHHH!)

why would you use yahoo messenger on any os?

qft

stalkingwolf
August 10th, 2010, 07:24 PM
as soon as i can get my web cam to work in gyachi

zithedragon
August 17th, 2010, 08:03 AM
as what most have already said its that we can use other programs to use yahoo IM but there are things missing and i really don't think that every one can get all of there contacts to switch to some other messenger just so they can use those few things....like for me i mostly want to use the file transfer because i dont want to use up a lot of time and such just to get one file to someone

like in yahoo i have about 80 contacts most of which don't want to change what messenger they use for what ever reason i can get like 20 to go to skype but thats not all of them so yea

czig49
August 17th, 2010, 08:44 AM
i loaded Gyachi a cpl months ago and have had great sucess with with file transfers as well as video chat. i feel it works great so far. good luck in your adventure. personally i really like yahoo messenger 20 times better then what pidgon was allowing me to send never could do a file transfer on that.:popcorn:

Johnsie
August 17th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I voted yes because I feel for the people who want to use yahoo. The one single reason I spend more time in Windows than I do in Ubuntu is that I want to use msn messenger with full multimedia capabilities. Emesene, pidgin/empathy, and amsn look tacky and do not support the multimedia features well. Text based chat like irc was good back in the mid-90's, but in this day and age it is outdated and boring. Skype seem to have the only decent multimedia chat features... There's not alot of choice out there. The bottom line is that multimedia instant messaging sucks on Linux and there is no sign of it improving any time soon. 5 years using Ubuntu and still we are in the same place.

Gorilllanobaka
August 17th, 2010, 10:05 AM
i loaded Gyachi a cpl months ago and have had great sucess with with file transfers as well as video chat. i feel it works great so far. good luck in your adventure. personally i really like yahoo messenger 20 times better then what pidgon was allowing me to send never could do a file transfer on that.:popcorn:

Hang on a little...

Lemme see if i understood that correctly...You had great succes with what?? with Gyachi??

NO way mate...Gyachi it is not working with yahoo...no on the part that most of the people are interested in namely the video chat..I also have lots and lots of contacts in yahoo messenger ...
Me and yahoo messenger we go way back straight from the beginnings about 10 years ago when yahoo was nothing more than an empty square box..with only 2 smileys..we do use skype as well,which rocks by the way... (the share screen function is one of the best features ...It enables me to work with clients that feel a bit paranoid about giving someone access into their computers and all that..I tell them what to do and they are doing it..:D)

The problem is.. most of the people out there ... and we are talking 90% are using windows and yahoo/msn/windows live/skype messengers whether we like it or not....

So in order to communicate with them effectively we either need to use the same tools as them or to use something THAT WORKS ...Gyachi it is not working with yahoo.not the video chat part anyway... I need to send my camera to the other side so i can be seen and heard by a someone using yahoo messenger ...Gyachi can not do it..
Is that simple..

czig49
August 17th, 2010, 02:07 PM
i am using gyachE improved and webcam and chat are working fine for me mate. ya might wanna try the updated version. have a great day:popcorn:

Johnsie
August 17th, 2010, 02:14 PM
how buggy is it though? It makes more sense to use the real thing rather than a cheap knockoff.

DougieFresh4U
August 17th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Hang on a little...

Lemme see if i understood that correctly...You had great succes with what?? with Gyachi??

NO way mate...Gyachi it is not working with yahoo...no on the part that most of the people are interested in namely the video chat..I also have lots and lots of contacts in yahoo messenger ...

Maybe you need to check your Gyachi settings as I have been using it for over a year and video works without any problems. All my yahoo contacts are there as well

Gorilllanobaka
August 17th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Maybe you need to check your Gyachi settings as I have been using it for over a year and video works without any problems. All my yahoo contacts are there as well

OK...Sorry for being thick make me uderstand this a little ...
Using gyachi you can open up an audio-video conference with one of your contacts.. exactly the same way you would do in a normal yahoo messenger sesion?? so he can hear you see you and you can hear and see him as well ..Right??

Can we get some screen shots??

Gorilllanobaka
August 17th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Err.. guys... anyone know where you can get the latest version of Gyachi the one that allegedly is working with yahoo messenger webcam and videoconference and all that??

I went to the site but there`s only old stuff there .I added http://ppa.launchpad.net/loell/ppa/ubuntu but i still can not apt-get install it
I

Cheers

Austin25
August 17th, 2010, 06:43 PM
No:
Pidgin supports Yahoo, and I use irc instead anyway.

Nick_Jinn
August 19th, 2010, 08:13 PM
If it included video chat I would probably use it. Pidgin works fine now though, it's not a big deal.

Pidgin does NOT work fine for Yahoo. It lacks important features like Webcam and voice chat. It now has it for other messengers but not for Yahoo yet.

Gyachi is what you want. You only get voice and webcam in 32 bit, I think unless they fixed it, but you could always run it in virtual machine if you use 64bit.

Calash
August 19th, 2010, 08:17 PM
More options are better than less so I vote yes.

stalkingwolf
September 8th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I am using Super os based on 9.10. these commands worked for me and i have had no problems.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:loell/ppa
Sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gyachi

dinamic1
September 8th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Yahoo is one of the companies that I wonder why they still exist. Their search engine is obsolete, their messenger technology is marginal, their website-portal is a relic of the past... What do they have to offer at all?
email

Ric_NYC
September 8th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Yahoo is a leech:

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/6295/screenshot1ui.png

pwnst*r
September 8th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Now that gmail video chat works in Linux, who cares?

0N3
September 8th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Emesene & amsn i find to be very good both with cam support

Dragynn
September 8th, 2010, 11:13 PM

Seconded.

It got waaaaay worse after they railroaded Jerry Yang outta the CEO position too, and for standing up to Darth Gates no less....oh well, that's karma for yahoo, Icahn, and the new CEO, yahoo is now second-tier in most people's eyes IMO. Very sad, Yahoo was one of my first internet loves....R.I.P.