PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade 7.04 to 10.04

nevscott
June 16th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Installed 7.04 on a toshiba satellite M115 Laptop. I want to upgrade to 10.04. Made a boot disk and tried to launch but 7.04 always opens. How can i get this upgrade done?

nevscott
June 16th, 2010, 05:26 PM
help with ubunto upgrade from 7.04 to 10.04.

oldos2er
June 16th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I think it would be best to do a fresh install of 10.04. To upgrade from 7.04 to 10.04, you'd need to step through each version of Ubuntu from 7.10 on, which isn't possible because 7.10 (and 8.10) has reached its end-of-life. Not to mention that'd be an awful lot of downloading.

nevscott
June 16th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I made a live cd of 10.04 and changed the bios to boot from cd but version 7.04 keeps opening.

oldos2er
June 16th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Did you burn the ISO file as an image?

nevscott
June 16th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I'm not sure what that means. I just had the files written to the cd. What does it meas burn as an image?

mi_di
June 16th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I'm not sure what that means. I just had the files written to the cd. What does it meas burn as an image?

No, you have to specify you are burning an image. Brasero gives this specific option for you.

irv
June 16th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I use a program call K3B.
Just follow my screen shots.

jkid
June 16th, 2010, 06:46 PM
check if u save changes after you put the cd rom to boot firts

zellbz
June 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I have a similar problem but im already on 10.04 but i am trying to reinstall. i using a usb and burned the iso using start up disk creator but when i restart my netbook to boot from usb it just start up my original 10.04 again. What's the problem? I keep asking this question with no response from the community!

irv
June 16th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I have a similar problem but im already on 10.04 but i am trying to reinstall. i using a usb and burned the iso using start up disk creator but when i restart my netbook to boot from usb it just start up my original 10.04 again. What's the problem? I keep asking this question with no response from the community!

Does your BIOS have a setting to boot from a USB and is it set to boot first? Also if it is set you can just hit the F8 or F12 key to get a boot menu on some PC's.

zellbz
June 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Does your BIOS have a setting to boot from a USB and is it set to boot first? Also if it is set you can just hit the F8 or F12 key to get a boot menu on some PC's.

Yes, it says [Removable Dev.] and i dont think i said my usb was called that before i install linux

irv
June 16th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Yes, it says [Removable Dev.] and i dont think i said my usb was called that before i install linux
Linux does not change anything in the BIOS, that is a EPROM chip on your motherboard. It stands for Erasable/programmable read only memory and is written to when you change setting in the BIOS itself. Your computer read this chip at boot time. The other memory is RAM, random Access Memory.
Removable Dev is your USB or any other thing you can remove like a memory card if you have one in your computer.

oldos2er
June 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM

Here's a howto: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

zellbz
June 16th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Linux does not change anything in the BIOS, that is a EPROM chip on your motherboard. It stands for Erasable/programmable read only memory and is written to when you change setting in the BIOS itself. Your computer read this chip at boot time. The other memory is RAM, random Access Memory.
Removable Dev is your USB or any other thing you can remove like a memory card if you have one in your computer.

So any idea how i can go about reinstalling 10.04?

snowpine
June 16th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Have you tested your bootable USB device on another computer to see if it works?

zellbz
June 16th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Have you tested your bootable USB device on another computer to see if it works?

it works on other computers and on my Xbox.

irv
June 16th, 2010, 10:35 PM
you can do a google search and find things like:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

The point being you have to make sure you USB stick is boot-able before you can boot from it. Many of the question you are asking are on the Internet or on this board, you need to make a little effort to find them. The Link I gave you above was very easy to find.

If you can't get your PC to boot from a USB or CD you might have to see if you can find someone local who know about PC's to help you.

afrazin
November 23rd, 2010, 09:24 AM
I think it would be best to do a fresh install of 10.04. To upgrade from 7.04 to 10.04, you'd need to step through each version of Ubuntu from 7.10 on, which isn't possible because 7.10 (and 8.10) has reached its end-of-life. Not to mention that'd be an awful lot of downloading.

I found a site that has all the versions of Ubuntu (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntu). I want to upgrade from 7.04 to 10.04-LTS. It's on our server and i really don't want to go through the hassle, time and money of starting off clean on a new server that we don't need. Do you think if i go through the various versions that it might be able to upgrade without complications? What order should I go in? 7.10 first or 8.04-LTS or what?

Thanks!

oldos2er
November 23rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
Do you think if i go through the various versions that it might be able to upgrade without complications?

In my opinion, no. that's an awful lot of system changes, consequently a bigger chance of a screw-up somewhere along the process. Besides, every Ubuntu version from 9.04 below has reached its end-of-life.

If I were you I'd look into installing 10.04 server (if your business allows); it's an LTS release supported until April 2015.

afrazin
November 23rd, 2010, 09:34 PM
just an update for reference. i found the page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades which describes how you can go from 4.10 all the way through to 10.04. as i was going from 7.04 i missed probably some of the harriest parts of it, but the 7.04 to 7.10 was fun. in any event, it successfully brought me up to speed all the way to 10.04-LTS, just to let you all know.

irv
November 24th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Before you do anything, read this thread.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9933073&postcount=11
I tried this and it worked great. But before you start, make sure you make a list of installed apps. You will want to do this so you can reinstall them. Believe me it is much faster and less headaches then going through all the upgrades. The key is using the same user name and password and do not format the drive. You will see this in the post I link too.

oldos2er
November 24th, 2010, 10:31 PM
just an update for reference. i found the page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades which describes how you can go from 4.10 all the way through to 10.04. as i was going from 7.04 i missed probably some of the harriest parts of it, but the 7.04 to 7.10 was fun. in any event, it successfully brought me up to speed all the way to 10.04-LTS, just to let you all know.

You are brave! Good luck to you.

anechoic
November 25th, 2010, 05:11 PM
the link in Irv's post stated:
'5. Pick old / partition, set it to be this install's /, and UNCHECK THE "FORMAT" CHECKBOX. This is key.'
I had reformatted the '/' partition and was wondering why 'UNCHECKING' the format checkbox was key? anyone know?

gregb49
November 26th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Before you do anything, read this thread.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9933073&postcount=11...The key is using the same user name and password and do not format the drive. You will see this in the post I link too.Thanks. I'm now using 10.4. My gOS 8.04 was beginning to be problematic. This suggestion worked fine and very quickly, with only minor niggles that I'm just sorting out now.

irv
November 28th, 2010, 03:41 AM
I also plan on using this the next release. I saved the link so I don't forget how to do it. When you hit 72 like me, you have a problem forgetting thinks. Sometimes I wished the computer in my head worked a little better.