PDA

View Full Version : Copy entire folders from a Linux box to a Windows box

Yes
June 16th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I'd like to copy my entire Music folder on my Linux computer over to my new Windows laptop... does anyone know of a simple way to do this, besides a flash drive?

Thank you :)

sydbat
June 16th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Network? Portable HDD?

alphaniner
June 16th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Mount or smbclient into a windows share from the Linux machine, and copy. You may need to make a registry edit*, I had to do so on my W7 box. But you would be better served posting in another forum...

*Windows kept dropping the connection. The registry setting was something to do with having Windows act as a file server, but I don't remember exactly what it was.

squilookle
June 16th, 2010, 05:29 PM
How big is the Music folder in question?

Generally, if it were me moving the file, I would use Drop Box if it were under 2gb, a DVD if it were under 4gb, my 8gb usb stick, it if were under 8gb.

If it were bigger, I'd be looking at network, or portable hard drive, but others have beat me to suggesting those.

alphaniner
June 16th, 2010, 05:31 PM
How big is the Music folder in question?

Generally, if it were me moving the file, I would use Drop Box if it were under 2gb, a DVD if it were under 4gb, my 8gb usb stick, it if were under 8gb...

Why not just use the usb stick in all of those cases?

whiskeylover
June 16th, 2010, 05:31 PM
sftp

sydbat
June 16th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Why not just use the usb stick in all of those cases?Oh you...always pointing out the obvious...:p

squilookle
June 16th, 2010, 05:33 PM

Good question.

And it's because I don't know where I put it and can't be bothered to look for it.

RiceMonster
June 16th, 2010, 05:35 PM

If your music collection is more than 2 times the size of your flash drive, that would get pretty tedious, don't you think?

alphaniner
June 16th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Good question.

And it's because I don't know where I put it and can't be bothered to look for it.

I approve of (and relate to) this response.

cariboo
June 16th, 2010, 05:38 PM
You shouldn't have to do anything to your Linux system, just make sure you have file sharing setup on the laptop and transfer the files via your network assuming you have a wireless router.

alphaniner
June 16th, 2010, 05:38 PM
If your music collection is more than 2 times the size of your flash drive, that would get pretty tedious, don't you think?

Apparently you didn't read the bit I was responding to. Do you need some golden rice to improve your eyesight? :P

RiceMonster
June 16th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Apparently you didn't read the bit I was responding to. Do you need some golden rice to improve your eyesight? :P

Didn't notice you snipped it, no.

Yes
June 16th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Actually, I think I got it with Filezilla. I started the SSH server on my Linux computer and connected with Filezilla on the laptop, and then just dragged the Music folder from one computer to the other and it seems to be working nicely.

Thanks everyone!

CharlesA
June 16th, 2010, 06:49 PM
sftp rocks. :D

Tristam Green
June 16th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Good question.

Buy a new one.