PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo 3DS

forrestcupp
June 16th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Well, we were speculating that the 3DS might use cameras and head tracking to have the appearance of real 3D. But it looks like they are actually using a parallax barrier LCD screen instead. I guess that will be closer to true 3D.

Interesting. I wonder how much it will cost.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hOgruq-9nbyzLje-SdR7w1KKI2hQD9GCELNG1

sydbat
June 16th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Well, we were speculating that the 3DS might use cameras and head tracking to have the appearance of real 3D. But it looks like they are actually using a parallax barrier LCD screen instead. I guess that will be closer to true 3D.

Interesting. I wonder how much it will cost.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hOgruq-9nbyzLje-SdR7w1KKI2hQD9GCELNG1No, no. "True 3D" will be when there is a little box sitting on your living room floor (or whatever room you have the device in) and it projects an image you can walk around. At least for the first generation. You'd have to wait for the next generation for a more interactive, perhaps holographic, 3D experience.

alphaniner
June 16th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I think he was just saying that it's closer than the head-tracking method. At least in this case, each eye gets a different image, and that's the basis of 3D as far as the brain is concerned.

forrestcupp
June 16th, 2010, 05:29 PM
No, no. "True 3D" will be when there is a little box sitting on your living room floor (or whatever room you have the device in) and it projects an image you can walk around. At least for the first generation. You'd have to wait for the next generation for a more interactive, perhaps holographic, 3D experience.

Well, you're right. But it is "closer" to true 3D. ;)

Edit: alphaniner ninja'd me. :)

JDShu
June 16th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Very interesting, thanks for the link!

LeifAndersen
June 16th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Poo...I guess I'm out of luck. (I can only see out of one eye).

BrokenKingpin
June 16th, 2010, 07:30 PM
All this 3D stuff is just a gimmick, which I hope dies off soon so the gaming and movie industry can focus back on things that are more than just "flashy".

Dustin2128
June 16th, 2010, 08:35 PM
all the current 3D stuff is a bunch of crap; it might look slightly better but it takes up 4 times as much space, being at 120 frames per second- 60 per eye. I actually am working on a primitive system that makes a 3 dimensional object out of solid pixels but its no more than a backyard project at the moment; using magnets to levitate solid pixels into real objects. Downside is of course interference with the magnets of pixel a to pixel b and complex electronic devices, but I suppose there could be a workaround.

NightwishFan
June 16th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I like 2d better. Much more simple.

PuddingKnife
June 16th, 2010, 09:28 PM
All this 3D stuff is just a gimmick, which I hope dies off soon so the gaming and movie industry can focus back on things that are more than just "flashy".

Im not sure I remember a time when Hollywood wasnt focused on just flashy. But Im sure someone could argue the point quite well.

del_diablo
June 16th, 2010, 09:42 PM
They get a Metal Gear Solid game for it, **** it, I am going to get it regardless of how it actually turns out.

Stancel
June 16th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Is it just a lame 3D "effect" or is it real 3D graphics? Could an N64 game be ported to this kind of hardware? I hope so.

alphaniner
June 16th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Is it just a lame 3D "effect" or is it real 3D graphics?

The screen projects a different image to each eye... take that for what you will.

sydbat
June 16th, 2010, 10:19 PM
The screen projects a different image to each eye... take that for what you will.That doesn't help my friend Leela (http://images1.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Leela-futurama-967778_1024_768.jpg)...

Stancel
June 16th, 2010, 10:25 PM
damn it. I hope that doesn't mean what I think it means. that would be another massive fail by Nintendo. It should have real 3D graphics like the PSP does. I don't care about it "looking like" 3D.

alphaniner
June 16th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Aside from the fact that you have to hold the device a certain distance from your eyes, I think it's quite impressive. I mean, the fact that we see a slightly different image in each eye is the basis of depth preception.

I don't know anything about the PSP's 3D capability though.

Muffinabus
June 17th, 2010, 12:14 AM
damn it. I hope that doesn't mean what I think it means. that would be another massive fail by Nintendo. It should have real 3D graphics like the PSP does. I don't care about it "looking like" 3D.

The DS is capable of displaying 3D graphics... and now it'll be capable of displaying in 3D, which the PSP can't do. So... what?

murderslastcrow
June 17th, 2010, 12:15 AM
PSP and Nintendo DS 3d processing capabilities are very similar. Although the PSP technically has beefier hardware for it, the games made for both consoles tend to have around the same amount of smoothness/clarity/polygons.

Of course, I'm sure the 3DS will be moving this up another level with a bit more powerful hardware... most likely. Don't quote me on that, but it seems necessary given the doubled amount of frames to display.

Iehova
June 17th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Well this is what its graphics look like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7detDcmMKY

Stancel
June 17th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I watched that video. I am impressed by the graphics. I shouldn't have assumed so much. after all it has an thumb stick (which is for 3D games), like the PSP so the graphics will be just as good.

RichardLinx
June 17th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I watched that video. I am impressed by the graphics. I shouldn't have assumed so much. after all it has an thumb stick (which is for 3D games), like the PSP so the graphics will be just as good.
The graphics are miles ahead of the PSP, don't forget that the game in the trailer (Kid Icarus) is actually going to be running in 3D in the same sense as Avatar.

The 3DS is probably more powerful then the Wii. Developers have said that it has similar processing capabilities to the XBOX 360. They also have really impressive third party support.

http://e3src.nintendo.com/3ds/
List of known games for 3DS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games

Notable titles on the list include:
- Kingdom Hearts
- Resident Evil (http://kotaku.com/5565558/resident-evil-also-shambling-onto-the-nintendo-3ds/gallery/)
- Dead or Alive
- Street Fighter IV (http://kotaku.com/5564648/street-fighter-iv-punching-above-its-weight-on-the-3ds/gallery/)
- Ninja Gaiden
- Ridge Racer
- Metal Gear Solid (http://kotaku.com/5564405/metal-gear-3ds-screenshots/gallery/)

Plus the obvious support from Nintendo so there will be great franchises like Zelda, Mario and Metroid to look forward to in the future. :)

Also, for people who are wondering, the 3D effects can be turned of completely or "toned down" with a slider on the side that lets you adjust the 3D.

Stancel
June 17th, 2010, 11:54 AM
holy crap, they are going to remake Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the 3DS!:p

RichardLinx
June 17th, 2010, 11:57 AM
holy crap, they are going to remake Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the 3DS!:p

Holy crap it's true!:p

Though Shigeru Miyamoto originally maintained that it was merely a tech demo with the possibility of being developed into a full game,[59] a Nintendo 3DS remake has been confirmed by Nintendo via their Twitter page.

joshmuffin
June 17th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I'm completely geed (excited)!!

Someone asked before how much it will cost and in Aus the RRP atm is $350 that is what they are planning on charging in australia.

RichardLinx
June 17th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I'm completely geed (excited)!!

Someone asked before how much it will cost and in Aus the RRP atm is $350 that is what they are planning on charging in australia.

Damn, that's pretty expensive for a portable device. Hopefully it doesn't cost that much. I'll still probably get one around launch if it's at $350... But still, that's nearly as much as a home console.

Source. (http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=127141)

3rdalbum
June 17th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Fake 3D like this is not really ready. It gives some people motion sickness, other people headaches, and it probably triggers epileptic fits in vulnerable people. It's alright as a gimmick, but I don't think you could watch TV in fake 3D or play video games in fake 3D all day without detriment to your health.

Calmor
June 17th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Aside from the fact that you have to hold the device a certain distance from your eyes, I think it's quite impressive. I mean, the fact that we see a slightly different image in each eye is the basis of depth preception.

For me, it's a neat toy, but it's a novelty. I don't see the sense in needing to wear glasses all the time (I already wear glasses so that would be a double-irritant), hold my head in a certain position, etc. It's not true 3D and even though it does seem to project from the screen, it's still obvious that it's a trick. I'm in the "waiting until there's a hologram or similar" camp, to be honest.

There's also a whole group of people who, for some reason or another, can't see in 3D. Some have sight problems in one eye which would keep them from doing so. Some have a neurological issue in which they can't see in 3D in real life either - the signals from the two eyes do not "mesh" well into one 3D image. If you've ever known someone with depth perception problems, electronic 3D probably just looks like a mess, and as another poster commented, causes headaches, seizures, etc. I'm not in this group, but my girlfriend is.

I don't think we should hold this type of thing back for an admittedly small group of people, nor does she, but I'd hate to imagine that everything in the future ends up 3D...

renkinjutsu
June 17th, 2010, 01:22 PM
with current LCD screens, you still have to look from a certain angle to be able to see anything, so you're constantly adjusting yourself to get a better view even with the regular DS/PSP/Flatscreen-TV

RichardLinx
June 17th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I think the 3D is going to be an awesome bonus. Remember people, you can actually turn it off if you hate it.

The third party support alone for this handheld makes it awesome.:)

alphaniner
June 17th, 2010, 02:20 PM
For me, it's a neat toy, but it's a novelty. I don't see the sense in needing to wear glasses all the time (I already wear glasses so that would be a double-irritant), hold my head in a certain position, etc. It's not true 3D and even though it does seem to project from the screen, it's still obvious that it's a trick. I'm in the "waiting until there's a hologram or similar" camp, to be honest.

Heck, I'm in the "waiting until there's a holodeck or Saemus Harper headjack camp" but nevermind that. I still think the technology is more than a gimmick. But then, I haven't experienced any of the current generation of 3D (TVs or movies like Avatar); the last virtual-3D experience I had was the VirtualBoy (which I thought was pretty impressive).

forrestcupp
June 17th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Well this is what its graphics look like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7detDcmMKYDang! Even without seeing the 3D, it looks better than the Wii.

the last virtual-3D experience I had was the VirtualBoy (which I thought was pretty impressive).
Lol. VirtualBoy. That was an utter failure.

Now that would be awesome. I'm glad they're having an analogue stick this time around.

alphaniner
June 17th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Lol. VirtualBoy. That was an utter failure.

Clearly. But that doesn't change the fact that it was awesome. It was just ahead of its time.

RichardLinx
June 17th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Clearly. But that doesn't change the fact that it was awesome. It was just ahead of its time.

I've never used one, but everyone I know that has said they were awesome.

forrestcupp
June 17th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I've never used one, but everyone I know that has said they were awesome.

Well, now you can't say that anymore. I've used one, and it wasn't awesome. ;)

I didn't even like it back in the day. The graphics were all butt-ugly red on black. It was a cool concept, though.

aaaantoine
June 17th, 2010, 05:16 PM

I hope it never dies. In fact, I hope it becomes the standard for games everywhere.

People who say this don't realize how useful DEPTH PERCEPTION is, in twitch gaming or in life. Close one eye and go for a drive, play catch, or whatever.

Calmor
June 23rd, 2010, 12:28 PM
I hope it never dies. In fact, I hope it becomes the standard for games everywhere.

People who say this don't realize how useful DEPTH PERCEPTION is, in twitch gaming or in life. Close one eye and go for a drive, play catch, or whatever.

I think real 3D would be great. Holograms or multiple-depth displays would be awesome. I'd just hate to see the current generation become any kind of standard. The 3D movies they're pushing now have been known to give many people headaches. Having to wear glasses to watch TV is annoying regardless of if you wear them in real life (like me) or not. The 3DS might be better, hard to say until I see one, but I still feel like the whole mind-trick method is gimmicky.

Chronon
June 23rd, 2010, 08:11 PM
I think real 3D would be great. Holograms or multiple-depth displays would be awesome. I'd just hate to see the current generation become any kind of standard. The 3D movies they're pushing now have been known to give many people headaches. Having to wear glasses to watch TV is annoying regardless of if you wear them in real life (like me) or not. The 3DS might be better, hard to say until I see one, but I still feel like the whole mind-trick method is gimmicky.

All of perception is a mind-trick.

zekopeko
June 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM

There's also a whole group of people who, for some reason or another, can't see in 3D. Some have sight problems in one eye which would keep them from doing so. Some have a neurological issue in which they can't see in 3D in real life either - the signals from the two eyes do not "mesh" well into one 3D image. If you've ever known someone with depth perception problems, electronic 3D probably just looks like a mess, and as another poster commented, causes headaches, seizures, etc. I'm not in this group, but my girlfriend is.

I don't think we should hold this type of thing back for an admittedly small group of people, nor does she, but I'd hate to imagine that everything in the future ends up 3D...

How does this relate to 3DS? You don't need glasses to see the 3D effect. You just have to look at it at a straight angle. And you can disable the effect with a switch.

JDShu
June 24th, 2010, 12:56 AM

That is a hilariously bad suggestion :P