PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Does anyone know where to buy a Windows-less laptop in the UK?

Dr.Suave
June 16th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I can't seem to find a website that will actually sell a laptop without Windows pre-installed - preferably I'd like Ubuntu to come pre-loaded. Any ideas?

kleskjr
June 16th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I have the same problem in Germany.
Recently I read about a guy who bought a windows laptop and after a few months of arguing he got some money back from the vendor as he did not use the software (and he donated it to Linux Mint I think).
But probably to do so costs a lot of efforts and nerves.
good luck with finding something good!

frncz
June 16th, 2010, 02:59 PM
You can buy the components of your choice from Maplin or Dabs and put it all together. More fun that way...
Not more expensive if you already have an old case/keyboard/monitor etc you can re-use

colintivy
June 16th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I can't seem to find a website that will actually sell a laptop without Windows pre-installed - preferably I'd like Ubuntu to come pre-loaded. Any ideas?

Hi!

Try:- thelinuxemporium on www.linuxemporium.co.uk.

also www.EmperorLinux.com/

Dell offer a (limited) range of machines if you ask.

A local outfit who build to order may offer to clean install a Linux OS of your choice (like Ubuntu????)

If you are more adventurous even ebay might have something, you could find a cheap WIN machine with adequate hardware which you could clear out and start again.

colintivy :D :D