PDA

View Full Version : Best Linux Distro

Reggaeton King
March 27th, 2006, 04:14 PM
I have tried SuSe, Fedora 4 & 5, Ubuntu, Knoppix, Slackware, Slax, Damn Small Linux, and Red Hat 9.1. I have to say Ubuntu is my favorite distro next to Fedora Core 5. What is your favorite distro besides Ubuntu?

taurus
March 27th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I think his post should be in Ubuntu Cafe...

LanceM
March 27th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I switched from Fedora Core 4 to Ubuntu 5.10. I have looked at Puppy, DSL, Xandros, and Vector. Fedora would definately be my number 2 favorite distro.

echo $USER
March 27th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Damn small linux. I can take it anywhere and it will load on anything. I love it.

KingBahamut
March 27th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Favorite Desktop Distro - Ubuntu
Favorite Server Distro - Ubuntu
Favorite LiveCD - DSL or LAS

christhemonkey
March 27th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I also think this is more of an ubuntu cafe thread.
I have only ever used ubuntu (though thats because nothing else worked out of the box)

mlomker
March 27th, 2006, 05:12 PM
One of the distinguishing features of a distro is the package manager. I spent a few years playing with Fedora but never liked it enough to actually run it. Once I found Debian I ran Linspire for a while before switching to Kubuntu. The only other distro that catches my eye is Mepis.

midwinter
March 27th, 2006, 05:14 PM
My favourite is Arch Linux, it's the greatest. Fast, very up to date, simple philosophy.. etc etc... I love it.

Sirin
March 27th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Suse. Just can't beat the simplicity and the Xgl looks... :)

izmaelis
March 27th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I think that Ubuntu is the best distro for me. Why? Cause I use it longer then any other popular distro (Gentoo, Archlinux...).

obnibolongo
March 27th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Well Ubuntu is the best for a home user.
But had I the time and I'd use Gentoo. I used it before switched to Ubuntu and it's the best distribution to learn stuff about Linux (of course a typical home user has no need - or should not neet - to know such things).

Sirin
March 27th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Well Ubuntu is the best for a home user.

Not for some people.

(Click on Image to make it larger)
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/3445/ubuntuisnot4newbs3lf.jpg

taurus
March 27th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Not for some people.

(Click on Image to make it larger)
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/3445/ubuntuisnot4newbs3lf.jpg
Looks like somebody needs a little time out!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

briancurtin
March 27th, 2006, 09:26 PM
sweet. another one of these threads.

cant moderators or admins ever delete threads(or possibly merge if you think deleting is too "mean")?

Thirion
March 27th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Ubuntu is the best Distro i ever used and because of Ubuntu i deleted XP. (And i'll never use Microsoft again)

Another good Distro is Mepis, because its Debian based, small and stable. I don't like KDE and there are too many programs in a default installation so i'll stay with Ubuntu. Btw, the Extensions of Ubuntu are great (like the support of FTP as a Folder in the File System, the Update Manager, XGL, ...)

I used SUSE, Mandriva and Fedora Core but they are too big don't use the .deb Packet-System which i like very much :)

Michael

LinuxKid
March 28th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I've been looking into suse, mandriva, and fedora

however I run via live cd (too many reasons to explain) and fedora doesn't have one, suse only has a live dvd, and mandriva I Haven't tried out yet

I'm still using ubuntu aren't I, it's the only distro (except maybe mepis) that I would actually consider commiting my main OS to be, all others are just not ready for what I do with my Operating System (I even crashed the linux kernal in DSL, by mistake of course)

ubuntu is the only one that I can use the whole time without having to switch back to XP

in short, there is (almost) no other like it!