PDA

View Full Version : Kanotix hosed my Ubuntu!

Lucho
March 27th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I don`t know in which forum to post, so I'll put it here. Sorry if I
picked the wrong forum.
Like the title says, I haven`t had a good weekend. I had decided to try
Kanotix 64, since I had a windows partition I wasn`t using (three months
without Windows and I and my comp have never been so productive!
WOO-HOO! :D ). I loaded kanotix 64 in live cd mode, selected the "install
to HD" option, verified that everything was in order, and began.
Well, The results surprised me, to say the least. The installer listed very
clearly my choice of partition- hda3- but it installed it in a different one. Yes,
instead of hda3 it went to hdb3, which is (um, WAS) my Ubuntu 64. After all
the work fine-tuning my breezy 64, kanotix wiped it off the hd :shock: .
**Begin Rant***
People, I tried to get information on another forum, and only got a bunch of
"it's a problem between the chair and the screen, were you drinking, was it late
at night, etc." I saw very clearly what the installer reported. It said one thing on
the screen and did something different. I wasn't blind, drunk, or sleepy; kanotix 64
showed an installation to hda3, and installed to hdb3.
**End Rant**
I spent yesterday going over my hardware, but not being a technician I can't
rule out a hardware problem. I tried the kanotix home site and forum, but so far
no replies. Any idea what could have happened? I miss my breezy 64; it was
working like a thoroughbred :cry:

taurus
March 27th, 2006, 04:22 PM
If kanotix installed itself on /dev/hdb3, then there is nothing you can do to recover your Ubuntu since it already formatted the partition before it installed on it!!! I am not sure whether that's a bug in the installer of Kanotix but I doubt it... That's why peole keep saying to back up your stuff before you install anything on your machine even though you intend to install it somewhere else!

Lucho
March 27th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I know that the installer reformats the partition first; that's why I was so ticked
off at Kanotix 64. Fortunately, all my data is on a different partition. The only
data I lost was some gnome and kde themes- no big deal.
I can't rule out a bug in the installer. I'm looking into whether my cd is a
release candidate or the final version ( stupid me, I forgot to write it on the cd).
Right now I'm still considering a hardware issue, even though everything SEEMS
to be running 100%.

TrailerTrash
March 27th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Ive had Kanotix hose my Windows partition. Ive had Vector hose my Windows partition. Ive had Slackware to hose my Windows Partition. Ive had ARK to hose ALL partitions. And last, ive had Yoper to hose my Windows partition. Yes i do know what im doing (most of the time).](*,)

Lucho
March 27th, 2006, 09:11 PM
So you`ve had various linux distros hose your Windows partition. And you consider this
a bad thing? :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

taurus
March 27th, 2006, 09:15 PM
So you`ve had various linux distros hose your Windows partition. And you consider this
a bad thing? :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
I couldn't even get Linux to hose my Windows partition because I DON'T have Windows partition on my machines... ;)

mstlyevil
March 27th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I couldn't even get Linux to hose my Windows partition because I DON'T have Windows partition on my machines... ;)

What the heck is Windows? :rolleyes: