PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] No Sound in firefox 3.6.3 after upgrading to 10.04

jimmysheldon
June 16th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Hi

Upgraded my system to ubuntu 10.04 and its looking good. Problem is, i have no sound on firefox. I'm not really too sure where to start looking to fix this, can anyone offer me any direction?

Also, sound is fine for all music player programs etc

Cheers

jimmysheldon
June 16th, 2010, 12:18 PM
No one else out there? I'm sure its an easy fix, just not sure im looking for.

jimmysheldon
June 16th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I still can't "hear" you. lol.

(BOOST)

perspectivist
June 21st, 2010, 01:36 AM
Im having the exact same problem
all other sound apps work, just no sound when watching video in firefox

.... anyone?

:-) thx

PSyMastR
June 21st, 2010, 04:53 AM
By sound you mean in flash videos, or HTML5 videos? If flash videos (youtube/games/etc...) try reinstalling flash from Ubuntu Software Center.

perspectivist
June 21st, 2010, 11:40 PM
Worked!
Thanks.... so simple, feeling like a tool now
;-)

perspectivist
June 22nd, 2010, 02:06 AM
wait... nope.... it was temporary

so I've tried reinstalling flash and firefox, tried chromium as well
and removing all other flash programs except adobe flash 10 player
with no luck
?????

pbhill
June 26th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Same thing... it worked for a while then stopped. No sound again. What gives?

pbhill
June 30th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Anyone out there?
Just got Firefox 3.6.6 and it didn't help.
Thought it was a Flash problem (I had messages on certain websites saying I needed to upgrade to Flash 10) Upgraded, didn't help.
It seems to be only Youtube and other web videos that are affected. Once in a while the sound returns, but not for long.

llangwm
July 7th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Same here ... WMVs are fine and files stored by downloadhelper play their sound (even if it didn't inside firefox)

pbhill
July 8th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I'm pretty discouraged with this sound issue... I've installed and uninstalled 10.04 three times over the last few months trying to figure this out. 9.10 doesn't have this problem. I'm trying to avoid a fourth time!
If nobody out there has any ideas, how about a suggestion of where else to look for help? There is some mention of it on the Mozilla forums, but no solution as far as I can tell.

jimmysheldon
September 3rd, 2010, 11:59 AM
I'm still struggling with this problem. Such a pain too. I think I may just go back to 9.10, like you said.

thisdishtowel
September 29th, 2010, 06:51 AM
I have a similar problem. Videos, music, etc. doesn't play in chrome/chromium or firefox.

I found a 'fix' which involved uninstalling pulseAudio and relying on esound. While this allowed me to hear sound played in my internet browsers, I lost control over the volume through my hardware buttons - and there's no big accessible volume button on screen.

There is a help page about configuring pulseAudio but it involves editing files, folders and menu items that I don't have in 10.04.

Help?

Thanks.

thisdishtowel
October 4th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I have sound in Chromium now. It involved finding the adobe flash player plugin and moving it into the chromium plugin folder:

sudo cp /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins

Then I started Chromium like so:

chromium-browser --enable-plugins

It didn't work right away. I had to restart my computer.

Firefox is still silent. The same procedure could work for it, maybe.

Paulgirardin
October 8th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I have exactly the same problem.
No sound in Firefox and Opera,reinstalling Flash temporarily fixes it but it is only for a short time.

efflandt
October 9th, 2010, 06:06 PM
When I recently upgraded a 32-bit system (using Update Manger) from 9.10 to 10.04 flashplugin-installer appeared to be installed in Synaptic, but did not show up in Firefox Add-ons Plugins.

For some reason ubuntu-restricted-extras became uninstalled during the upgrade, so I installed that. Flash is included in that. but that did not fix flash that the system thought was already installed.

So I had to mark flashplugin-installer for Reinstallation, then it showed up in Firefox and worked.

Someone mentioned Firefox 3.6.3, but current version after upgrade to Lucid should end up 3.6.10.