PDA

View Full Version : When did we get so impatient? (iPhone 4 launch)

Calmor
June 16th, 2010, 05:44 AM
From the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/16/technology/16apple.html?src=busln

Tom Lustig, 41, a data analyst in New York, said he tried to gain access to the Apple and AT&T sites starting at 4 a.m. and had no success. He ran into similar snags when he called Apple’s customer service hotline, where a sales representative redirected him to AT&T.

“The preorder is a complete disaster,” Mr. Lustig said.

Many, including Mr. Lustig, resorted to venturing out to an AT&T store to place an order in person. He spent half an hour in line at a store in Midtown Manhattan.

Mr. Lustig said that because an AT&T computer system was not working, salespeople resorted to writing down his credit card number and photocopying his driver’s license. They told him his order would be processed at some point later on.

“It’s inexcusable,” Mr. Lustig said. “I might get it on the 24th, 25th or even the next week. Who knows?”

Mr. Lustig has a half hour to spend in line at a store in Midtown Manhattan in the middle of the day (iPhone > lunch?), yet might not be able to wait until the 25th or all the way to next week?

If I'm him, I'd be more concerned about having a written copy of my credit card number and copy of his license floating around a surely hectic store.

I'm not saying AT&T is in the clear on this... they knew the storm was coming and they left the windows open anyway. But when did we as a culture get so impatient? I consider myself a techie and follow this stuff, know several people who pre-ordered online successfully in the NY area as well. If it wouldn't have worked? They'd have waited until tomorrow. What is it exactly that we're in a rush to get? The first few lemons out there? Bragging rights? Is it like Christmas as a kid all over again?

Please help me understand!

CharlesA
June 16th, 2010, 05:47 AM
New play thing.

Calmor
June 16th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I guess. But now after the hysteria and server crashes are over, I can go to AT&T's site, order one, and it'll get here July 2 (instead of June 24). No worry, and I wouldn't even see half of my friends in that 8 day period of time.

Calmor
June 16th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Perhaps I was just never an "early adopter", which is why I'm trying to understand...

mikewhatever
June 16th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Why are you surprised? The USA public image has had shopping as main national sport for decades.

Calmor
June 16th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Why are you surprised? The USA public image has had shopping as main sport for decades.

We eat well too! I go to malls often, but I rarely buy anything. I window-shop, and eat - usually too much.

I guess for me I always get caught in the "what else could that $xxx do for me?" I need a car, should pay down some house repair loans... do I really need a new phone, or will my ancient 8525 make due for a while longer?

On another tangent, the economy can't be that bad. Can you imagine droves of people right after the Great Depression thinking - wow, this toaster is nearly a year old! I MUST replace it with a shiny new one that is prettier and holds four pieces of toast at a time instead of two!

McRat
June 16th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Well, with the Playstation 3, there were people killing each other in line, so it's apparently a big improvement.

squilookle
June 16th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I don't understand it either. I've been known to get excited about new things, but I don't think I've ever pre ordered anything. And I would never write my credit card details down to be processed later... that is absolutely crazy.

Having said that, with the recent exposures of Apple/AT&T Customer data, I don't think I'd be handing any details over in normal circumstances either...

lz1dsb
June 16th, 2010, 02:49 PM
That's really amazing. I can't really understand those people. Getting up at 4:00 AM to pre-order?!!! Than waiting in a line!! I guess I've also never been an early adopter, but even if wan't to buy something and I have to wait in a line I'll just postpone the purchase.
And do all those people really need smart phones anyway? I remember one interesting line from Jorge Bucay's short interview when he was here in Sofia couple of weeks ago. Which not literally is like this:
"People are buying so many things these days, they don't need. That's one of the reasons why they're feeling unhappy..."

Tristam Green
June 16th, 2010, 02:51 PM
@OP: People are stupid.

JDShu
June 16th, 2010, 03:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumerism

As always, wiki is an interesting read.

CharlesA
June 16th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Isn't that similar to people who get up and go to stores at 3am on Black Friday to get "uber deals" ?

Tristam Green
June 16th, 2010, 03:21 PM
People are stupid

Words from a wise man.

Frogs Hair
June 16th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Crazy! this phone is something people want not something they need. I have never looked over someones shoulder and said to myself "OMG what kind of phone is that"?

rg4w
June 16th, 2010, 03:28 PM
The server overload may not have been entirely from overuse:

iPhone 4 preorders rumored to involve another AT&T security breach
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/06/15/iphone_4_preorders_rumored_to_involve_another_att_ security_breach.html

sydbat
June 16th, 2010, 03:52 PM
@OP: People are stupid.This. And to add, they are sheeple too. "hang on, I want what everyone else wants/has". Economies are based on this principle.

About impatience - A couple of years ago I was at Home Depot (aka Gnome Despot) and was buying some paint. The girl working there was busy with another customer, so I was patiently waiting. This guy comes up to the counter and starts getting upset because there is no one there to wait on him IMMEDIATELY and on HIS schedule. He starts making rude comments about how service in stores is getting worse.

We both see the girl, still helping the other customer, and this guy starts yelling at her to come and serve him. She does the 'one minute' hand signal and the guy nearly lost it.

When she finished with the other customer, she came over and, knowing I had been there longer, was going to help me first. I told her "no, you help this gentleman first. Apparently his time is more important than anyone else's. I can wait". When we both looked at this idiot, he was turning a bright shade of "shamed red". Of course, because he was a 'richard', he never apologized.

WinterRain
June 16th, 2010, 04:09 PM
@OP: People are stupid.

This.

It is also a sign of the times that some people demand instant gratification, and will stop at nothing to get it. But as we all know, he who gets his iphone first, wins. :rolleyes:

alphaniner
June 16th, 2010, 04:10 PM
When she finished with the other customer, she came over and, knowing I had been there longer, was going to help me first. I told her "no, you help this gentleman first. Apparently his time is more important than anyone else's. I can wait". When we both looked at this idiot, he was turning a bright shade of "shamed red". Of course, because he was a 'richard', he never apologized.

I salute you!

kabloink
June 16th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Isn't that similar to people who get up and go to stores at 3am on Black Friday to get "uber deals" ?

No, it's more like people standing out in front of a store for two weeks before Black Friday.