PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Adding desktop icons in Lubuntu

geovino
June 16th, 2010, 01:31 AM
How do you add icons on the desktop in Lubuntu?

XubuRoxMySox
June 16th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Open PCManFM and navigate to usr/share/applications. Find the application you want an icon on the desktop for, and simply drag it to the desktop. Done!

geovino
June 16th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Open PCManFM and navigate to usr/share/applications. Find the application you want an icon on the desktop for, and simply drag it to the desktop. Done!

Thanks. I also discovered that right-clicking on the menu entry gives you the option to add to desktop.

Oolongtea
June 30th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Hi I cannot seem to find PCManFM on lubuntu. I have another file manager but it doesn't work the way PCManFM is supposed to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

geovino
June 30th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Hi I cannot seem to find PCManFM on lubuntu. I have another file manager but it doesn't work the way PCManFM is supposed to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the regular file manager is PCManFM.

Oolongtea
June 30th, 2010, 11:31 PM
How do you access the file system on lubuntu? I can't find it!

geovino
June 30th, 2010, 11:33 PM
How do you access the file system on lubuntu? I can't find it!

it's the directory on the desktop that is your username. double-click and it will open.

Oolongtea
June 30th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Is my entire desktop supposed to be blank?

yossell
June 30th, 2010, 11:59 PM
oolongtea

sounds like you're running a pure openbox session rather than a lubuntu session. At least, my default Lubuntu session has wallpaper, desktop icons, a bottom panel bar; My default openbox session is just a pure blank screen, leftclicking on which gives me a menu. Could this be happening with you?

geovino
July 1st, 2010, 12:00 AM
Is my entire desktop supposed to be blank?

the desktop is blank... in lower left-hand corner and to the right of the menu button is a folder with a cursor on it. that's the file manager (PCManFM).

Oolongtea
July 1st, 2010, 12:02 AM
I have a menu and such but my file system is not showing up. I don't know how to access it. My desktop has no launchers on it. Is lubuntu supposed to be like that?

geovino
July 1st, 2010, 12:06 AM
I have a menu and such but my file system is not showing up. I don't know how to access it.

it's also listed on the menu under Accessories > File Manager.

if you don't see these then maybe you have a bad install. If this is a new install, I would just reinstall Lubuntu from a newly burned CD. You have nothing to loose.

Oolongtea
July 1st, 2010, 12:11 AM
Alright...I'll have to reinstall lubuntu. Thanks for your guys help .

yossell
July 1st, 2010, 12:18 AM
Have you tried typing
pcmanfm

into a terminal to try and get the file manager going?

cavalier911
July 1st, 2010, 03:46 AM
Try this before a reinstall.
Logout,on the login page lower left corner it say's Desktop.
Choose Lubuntu from the dropdown menu.
Enter your username and password
You should be back in Lubuntu desktop.

stelamethew
July 1st, 2010, 04:43 AM
It means you did 't install this application properly. Try to reinstall, logout from login page, choose Lubuntu and enter your username and password. This way you get back Lubuntu desktop.

Oolongtea
July 1st, 2010, 06:15 AM
I tried that and nothing has changed. I'm going to try and reinstall it now.

luxor99
November 15th, 2010, 01:43 AM
I'm having the same issue.

I installed lubuntu on both Virtualbox in Windows and in Parallels on Mac. I downloaded latest version 10.10 each time fresh from the site.

My desktop is blank. I can't create any icons or copy icons to the desktop.
I AM in the lubuntu desktop. I even log out and relogin to "Lubuntu" desktop.

If I try to drag an icon from my applications folder in the file manager to the desktop, it tries to copy but there is an error like "This location is not supported"

There is no menu anywhere that says "Add to icon to desktop".

Does any one have any idea how to fix it?

Thanks!

cavalier911
November 15th, 2010, 04:30 AM
What you're trying to do is not supported by Lubuntu.You want to easily create launchers and shortcuts on the desktop with GUI's that support drag and drop install Ubuntu or Kubuntu

luxor99
November 15th, 2010, 09:15 PM
But other users, even on this thread, seem to have icons on their desktop, such as "My Documents" or "Home" For example see this image. But I can't see or place any icons on my desktop.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DujUKfqe_AI/S6yse5mX2zI/AAAAAAAAANo/fPusn0KJ-84/s1600/lubuntu-10.04.2.jpg

If I try to even copy an icon to the desktop I get: