PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with MacBook Pro 5,5

yhan2000
June 16th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Hi,

I had just installed a fresh version of Ubuntu on my 13' MacBook Pro 5,5. and after the installation, I did a full upgrade to the latest version of ubuntu 10.04.32.22.

And then I realised that the sound is not working, isight is not working, nor the wireless connection are not there either.

So I did some search through google, and followed the full instruction from: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro5-5/Lucid

After all, the wireless works now, but the sound and isight are still cannot be found. I can't even start the music player, and I believe that the drivers are missing for those.

By the way, I didn't use bootcamp for partition, could that be the problem?

Thanks for any comments.

Ravernomina
June 16th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Hi,

I had just installed a fresh version of Ubuntu on my 13' MacBook Pro 5,5. and after the installation, I did a full upgrade to the latest version of ubuntu 10.04.32.22.

And then I realised that the sound is not working, isight is not working, nor the wireless connection are not there either.

So I did some search through google, and followed the full instruction from: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro5-5/Lucid

After all, the wireless works now, but the sound and isight are still cannot be found. I can't even start the music player, and I believe that the drivers are missing for those.

By the way, I didn't use bootcamp for partition, could that be the problem?

Thanks for any comments.

Do this

1. Open terminal then type
gnome-alsamixer
2. Once it if open Make sure you unmute Front Speaker and turn it all the way up
3. Close ALSA mixer
4.Test Sound Post results

yhan2000
June 16th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Hi,

I tried that, either type through the terminal "gnome-alsamixer", or open through the UI (applications -> sound and video -> Gonme Alsa mixer), they both went to a new window, but blank inside.

This is really strange?

Plus, I just realized that the wifi is working, but the icon on the notification are (top right) was never correct, either a block of white, or some other icons.

Thanks.

Ravernomina
June 16th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Hi,

I tried that, either type through the terminal "gnome-alsamixer", or open through the UI (applications -> sound and video -> Gonme Alsa mixer), they both went to a new window, but blank inside.

This is really strange?

Plus, I just realized that the wifi is working, but the icon on the notification are (top right) was never correct, either a block of white, or some other icons.

Thanks.

What Version of Ubuntu are you Using my Friend?

yhan2000
June 16th, 2010, 07:38 AM

I believe the latest one.

Ravernomina
June 16th, 2010, 07:58 AM

I believe the latest one.

hmm you might have a glitch.... try a reinstall??

yhan2000
June 16th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Obviously, that would be my last option, but want to give a try for few more solutions.

linuxopjemac
June 16th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Sound:
Did you try altering /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf ?

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

and add

options snd-hda-intel model=mbp55

at the end

yhan2000
June 16th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Yes, that's there already.

yhan2000
June 17th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Ok, I had just tried to re-insatll ubuntu.

and everything works well, until it complete installation and restart the computer.

after the CD was automatically ejected, heaps of error showing up

[ 1590.978332] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 507136

and there are about 100 error lines like this, and they the computer just stay there forever, I had to press the power button to restart the computer.

would that be the reason of my problem?

Thanks

yhan2000
June 17th, 2010, 03:17 AM
By the way, after reboot and back into ubuntu first time, still no sound, no isight working

alexmurray
June 17th, 2010, 03:23 AM
You'll need to re-add the model=mbp55 line to your alsa-base.conf for sound to work. Also the errors you got after finishing the install are normal - see the release notes for more info https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes#I/O error after CD is ejected at end of install

yhan2000
June 17th, 2010, 03:40 AM
So what i suppose to do now after the refresh installation? update ubuntu?

yhan2000
June 18th, 2010, 10:05 AM
All working now after re-installation :)

alexmurray
June 18th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Great to hear, well done for persevering.

DCGStudios
June 18th, 2010, 05:59 PM
All working now after re-installation :)

Iv been running different linux distro's on my macbook for a long time now, and honestly ALL upgrades cause nothing but hours of debugging and headaches. For anyone else reading this I STRONGLY recommend creating a seperate /home partition and doing a fresh install of the OS rather then system upgrades.

This is a very comprehensive tutorial on how to set it up..

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome