PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 Server Build

BenChemist
June 15th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Hello,

I am looking for a little guidance on hardware for a server running ubuntu 10.04. The server will be used for storage of NMR results and other lab data so I want large redundant drives. I am planning on RAID1 with a 3ware 9650SE-4LPML controller and 4 1TB Samsung Spinpoint hard drives. You can link to their newegg specs here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116042
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

My dilemma now is I have no guidance for what would be an appropriate motherboard and CPU. Ideally I would like the server to be snappy, reliable and long lived (I dont want to think about it after it is setup). I am considering the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 but I am concerned that in a couple of years the server will be slower than I would like. I should mention that I am planning on hosting a MoniMoni wiki from this server. I do not know how demanding hosting a wiki and data server is and would greatly appreciate any advice on what hardware would be stable and sufficiently quick.

Thanks,
Ben

Bachstelze
June 15th, 2010, 11:57 PM
A Core 2 should be much more than enough for data storage and a wiki. Data storage consumes virtually no CPU, since you will saturate the disk I/O capacity much sooner. Likewise, a web server it generally limited by the network I/O (if you ever manage to actually saturate it) rather than the CPU. If you don't plan to run anything else on the machine, a Core 2 will give you plenty of room, maybe a Conroe-based Celeron would be sufficient.

The Real Dave
June 16th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Let's put it this way. My 1.7Ghz Pentium IV can handle NFS, Samba, two types of proxy servers, rTorrent and more, all on 384MB of RAM, and idle CPU usage.

Grab a nice Core2Duo, look for something you can under-clock, for when you'd rather save power than chew it. 2GB of RAM should be more than enough, and give you plenty of scope for expansion and some virtualisation.

I havn't had a whole load of experience, but I've heard that software RAIDs are much less picky than hardware RAIDs. I've played around a lot with software RAIDs through mdadm, and have never had a problem. But someone with more experience on hardware RAID cards would be able to give a better opinion.

kumar981
July 29th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Hi BenChemist,

Have you been able to get the 3ware 9650SE-4LPML PCI Express raid controller working with Ubuntu 10.04?

Thanks

Bachstelze
July 29th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Hi BenChemist,

Have you been able to get the 3ware 9650SE-4LPML PCI Express raid controller working with Ubuntu 10.04?

Thanks

Not sure he'll see your message, you'd be better off sending him an email with the link in his profile.