PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "grub rescue>" booting Problem after upgrading from 9.10 to 10.4

keamkaze
June 15th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Hi,

I had windows 7 and I just wanted to try ubuntu and I am totally new to linux, however, I installed ubuntu 9.10 using wubi and it was fine when I boot it asks me for windows or ubuntu no problems. Then it asked me to upgrade to 10.04 I agreed and installed it. After installition restrting it gave me this grub thing I don't know what to do I googled it but I couldn't fix the problem please help I need my computer soon.

Also I tried but I couldn't boot from windows or ubuntu cd.

this may help: if I printed "ls" it gives me "(hd0)"

I attached a screenshot check attachment...

bcbc
June 16th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Do you have an ubuntu CD you can boot in live CD mode (try without any changes)?

If so download and run the bootinfoscript (http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/) and post the results back here.

bumanie
June 16th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Important Note to Wubi (Windows Ubuntu) Users:
Grub2 updates in the spring of 2010 triggered a bug in the ntfs module causing Wubi boot failures. The solution to this boot problem was posted by Agostino Russo and is found in this Lucid Lynx LaunchPad Bug Report #477169, Post 210. The module causing the errors has been fixed and replacing the "wubildr" file in Windows permanently solves this problem. meierfra has kindly provided clear instructions on how to fix this problem at http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...lems:Wubi_9.10

Taken from here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275).

darkod
June 16th, 2010, 01:15 PM
First you need to boot into live mode with the ubuntu cd. You must be able to boot from the cd if cd-rom is before hdd in boot devices.

Then download the boot info script from my signature, run it and post the content of the results file as explained here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8844901&postcount=4

keamkaze
June 16th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I couldn't boot from cd I tried ubuntu 9.10 cd, windows 7, and even I made a bootable usb flash with ubuntu 9.10 but nothing
and any thing I could get is that I hear the cd moves but it doesn't boot I don't know how to boot it...

also, I couldn't log to my bios screen, there is no option there
nothing to get out of this screen and any thing I type it gives me "unknown command"

I tried to hold "shift" but no command list appears also "Esc" and nothing happens.

darkod
June 16th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I couldn't boot from cd I tried ubuntu 9.10 cd, windows 7, and even I made a bootable usb flash with ubuntu 9.10 but nothing
and any thing I could get is that I here the cd move but it doesn't boot I don't know how to boot...

also, I couldn't log to my bios screen, there is no option there
nothing to get out of this screen and any thing I type it gives me "unknown command"

It sounds like it still trying to boot only from hdd.

You should be able to enter in BIOS with some key, depending on the computer. It could be Delete, F2, F10, or something like that. Usually it says when the computer starts, but you have to be fast and read it. If you don't manage to press it, never mind. Just restart again and then press the button because you will know which one once you read the message.

Or look in your computer manual if there is one.

bcbc
June 16th, 2010, 05:16 PM
or search on google for your brand of computer and model e.g. bios boot options toshiba model#

keamkaze
June 16th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I tried every button they don't work...

del, f1,f2,f3.....,f12

and nothing, I know before there is a screen shows and in the bottom there is a list of command list of how to go to bios or setup and I was using them before. But now it disappeared there is nothing.

darkod
June 16th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I tried every button they don't work...

del, f1,f2,f3.....,f12

and nothing, I know before there is a screen shows and in the bottom there is a list of command list of how to go to bios or setup and I was using them before. But now it disappeared there is nothing.

I have no idea what happened, but BIOS is independent of any OS. Ubuntu or windows can't make the option to enter BIOS go away.

Without being able to boot from a cd and use ubuntu in live mode, there is not much you can do to fix this.

Even if you decide to reinstall windows or ubuntu you still need to boot from a cd to do that.

PS. If everything else fails, one option could be to unplug the hdd and connect it to another computer and try to fix it there. Even if that computer doesn't have ubuntu, as long as you can boot the ubuntu cd there you can load the live mode.

keamkaze
June 16th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I checked the user manual it says press f8, I tried it but nothing
also it says press 0 to log to system recovery but nothing happened I keep getting this stupid grub screen I don't know how to deal with it.......

by the way this is my computer model:

Toshiba satellite L500-21T

Processor Intel CoreTMi3 330M Processor
(2.13GHz GHz , FSB:1066 MHz ,3MB 2nd level cache)
Wireless Intel Wireless Network Connection
Memory 2.048 MB DDr3 RAM (1066 MHz) system memory
Storage Controller 320 GB Hard Disk sata
Graphics ATI mobility Radeon HD 5145 Up To 2810MB Total Graphics Memory
Wireless technologies 802.11 a/B/G/N integrated Wi-Fi TM ;bluetooth
Optical DVD Super Multi Drive (double layer)
Monitor 15.6 Toshiba TruBriteŽ HD TFT High Brightness display ATI mobility Radeon HD 5145 Up To 2810MB Total

keamkaze
June 16th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Thanx Darko for your help I think I will do that now and I will be back in about two hours...

oldefoxx
June 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
You have just a very bief span of time when first powering up in which to press the bottons that take you to Setup or Boot options. For some BIOSes these choices are clumped together, so it is just a single button involved. Others make it two separate choices, so there are two buttons, one for each,

How do you know exactly when to press the button? By experimenting. Some screens tell you when to press, but this message is sometimes turned off in Setup to leave you with a clean screen while booting up. Once you get in there, you can turn it back on if you want. But getting in the first time is the tick.

Even with a dark screen, you may be able to perceive faint light changes. 'When you see such a change, that would be a good moment to press the key in queston. When the OS screen comes up, that is too late.
And it will not be exactly when you turn power on either. This is actually a final function of BIOS on its own before it passes control to the boot loader, and the timing therefore is very critical. Remember, all the keys on the keyboard have other fuctions during normal use, and this is just where the BIOS checks to see if some specific code is passed to it via the keyboard before it lets go and hands matters over to the boot process.

You cannot sit and hold the button down either, because that sends acontinuous signal from the keyboard, and an earlier process in BIOS would see that as an indication that the keyboard is bad.

What sometimes works is to sit there as power comes up and just jab at the key and see it you can hit the moment right. Do this several times, and you likely will eventually hit it at the right moment. Watch the screen at thes ame time, and you may spot a visible clue of when the best time might be in the future.

All you really need to do once there is to ensure that the use of a CD ROM or better drive is included in the boot order, and comes before the first hard drive. There may be other choices to consider as well, such as a floppy,

These methods do work, but not fpor every PC. With newere PCs, the Setup key is likely to be F2, and the boot choice options, if separate, may be F10.

keamkaze
June 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I took my laptop hardisk and plugged it into other laptop then I boot to ubuntu 9.10 using a flash usb

then I did as you said and this is the result.txt content:

Boot Info Script 0.55 dated February 15th, 2010

============================= Boot Info Summary: ==============================

=> Grub 2 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks on the same drive in
partition #256 for /boot/grub.
=> Syslinux is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb

sda1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files/dirs: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD

sda2: __________________________________________________ _______________________

Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Operating System: Windows 7
Boot files/dirs: /Windows/System32/winload.exe /wubildr.mbr /wubildr

sda3: __________________________________________________ _______________________

Boot sector type: Grub 2
Boot sector info: Grub 2 is installed in the boot sector of sda3 and
looks at sector 1932584 of the same hard drive for
core.img, but core.img can not be found at this
location. No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files/dirs: /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr.mbr /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr
/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /ubuntu/disks/swap.disk

sda3/Wubi: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: ext4
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:
Mounting failed:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop1,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

sdb1: __________________________________________________ _______________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector type: Fat32
Operating System:
Boot files/dirs:

=========================== Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x9d493175

Partition Boot Start End Size Id System

/dev/sda1 * 2,048 206,847 204,800 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 206,848 327,679,999 327,473,152 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 327,680,000 625,139,711 297,459,712 7 HPFS/NTFS

Drive: sdb ___________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Disk /dev/sdb: 2062 MB, 2062548992 bytes
16 heads, 32 sectors/track, 7868 cylinders, total 4028416 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0c2d62e7

Partition Boot Start End Size Id System

/dev/sdb1 * 32 4,028,415 4,028,384 6 FAT16

blkid -c /dev/null: __________________________________________________ __________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 squashfs
/dev/loop1 8276bdc7-e9f8-462e-904b-5495b725291a ext4
/dev/sda1 E25E6FE55E6FB0C9 ntfs ?????? BLKID Trash
/dev/sda2 C23679E23679D83D ntfs
/dev/sda3 925674FB5674E201 ntfs
/dev/sdb1 38B0-26FE vfat

============================ "mount | grep ^/dev output: ===========================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

aufs / aufs (rw)
/dev/sdb1 /cdrom vfat (rw)
/dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs (rw)

darkod
June 16th, 2010, 07:22 PM
OK, from live mode do:

sudo apt-get install lilo
sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr

After the first command there will be warnings that will sound bad. Just ignore them, don't do anything they say. Just run the second command after.

You should be able to boot your windows after that.

keamkaze
June 16th, 2010, 07:35 PM
it gives me this line and nothing happen after

0% [Connecting to archive.ubuntu.com (91.189.88.30)]

I am behind a university proxy, do you think that it is because of it!!!...
???

darkod
June 16th, 2010, 07:43 PM
it gives me this line and nothing happen after

0% [Connecting to archive.ubuntu.com (91.189.88.30)]

I am behind a university proxy, do you think that it is because of it!!!...
???

Probably. You need internet access for that, forgot to mention that.

Alternatively boot with the win7 dvd and select the Repair This Computer option after the language selection screen. You might need to run it 3 times.

keamkaze
June 16th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I boot from windows 7 cd, and choose repair start up status

and it finished and said every thing is ok, but when I restart I get the same problem: "grub rescue>"

about the internet access is it necessary to do that operation you told me to do, I mean I use it now but I think the terminal doesn't connect through the proxy...

Is there any way to do it without the internet access???

darkod
June 16th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I boot from windows 7 cd, and choose repair start up status

and it finished and said every thing is ok, but when I restart I get the same problem: "grub rescue>"

about the internet access is it necessary to do that operation you told me to do, I mean I use it now but I think the terminal doesn't connect through the proxy...

Is there any way to do it without the internet access???

Yes, the internet is necessary because it needs to download the package and install it. But if you can connect online I think it should work from terminal too. Strange.

Did you run the win7 repair three times? It needs to be run few times to repair.

keamkaze
June 16th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I did it 6 times...

I really don't know what to do...

someone said do this I will try it now:

""1-log to windows repair
2-choose log in to DOS
3-write:
bootrec.exe/flxboot

bootrec.exe/flxmbr

then restart and every thing should be ok.""

however, I will try it and tell you the result.

keamkaze
June 16th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Finally the problem SOLVED

actually the last step I mentioned worked perfectly!!!

and here is the way to fix it:

1-Boot from windows 7 CD.

2-Pick the language, then choose repair windows.

3-click on DOS system button(the last choice I think).

4-print these commands:

bootrec.exe/flxboot
(when you press enter it should give you four choices, you should write the first one which is "FixMbr" and you should write it like this " bootrec.exe/FixMbr " ) with capiral letter for F and M.

if you do that your boot screen should be fixed and it will be like before which in my case was choosing between Win7 and ubuntu)

Thanx every one who helped with this post.

Best Regards,
KEAMKAZE.