PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.4 installation on thinkpad x40 - fail

mcjibs
June 15th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I'm trying to install ubuntu 10.4 onto a previous windows based laptop (ibm thinkpad x40)

I've tried a bootable cd but that did not work. I finally tried using a ubb drive. The installation went through and it ended successfully. When I tried to reboot, an ubuntu start screen came up and then it goes completely blank. - There is no sound indicating that it's starting up and I am just not seeing it. - I tried plugging into an external monitor to see if its resolution problem - but that did not work as well.

Please help.

rob45
June 15th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Have you tried running the low graphics option thats available...i think...if you boot into safe mode...by pressing tab or escape..there should be an option for a low graphics....then once your in ubuntu...you can sort out your drivers...??

mcjibs
June 26th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Hey Rob,

I'm trying the installation from a bootable cd now on a different ibm thinkpad x40.
It currently running windows xp and graphics card is an intel chipset.

At startup, I see the Ubuntu with the standard orange dots running across and I could hear the dvd working hard a good minute. It then stops and the everything goes blank.

There is no more sound from the cd/dvd drive and no hard drive activity lights.

It just sits there forever as is.

any help would be appreciated.

mcjibs
June 26th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I just tried something else and I finally got to the installation screen. I went through the seven steps and it is installing right now. - hopefully this works!!

These are the steps i followed:

1) At the purple screen with a keyboard and stickfigure, press Enter to get to the menu.
2) Hit Enter to select your language, and then press F6 and then Esc.
3) Add "i915.modeset=1" after "quiet splash".
4) Press Enter to boot the LiveCD.

mcjibs
June 26th, 2010, 06:41 PM
So the installation went to completion and I restarted the computer. I briefly see the Unbuntu screen come up with the orange dots and then I just see a blank screen. - no sign of hard drive activity either.

mcjibs
June 28th, 2010, 05:04 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes

I tried the first workaround by adding i915.modeset=1 after quiet splash for both the installation and the login of ubuntu. It actually worked! Then the forum says that "If adding "i915.modeset=1" to your boot parameters allows you to boot successfully, you then need to enter the command above into a terminal to make the changes permanent."

I don't know how to do this - I'm hoping you can help. I don't know linux commands and I am hoping you can help. When I go to the terminal window it shows me "grub >"

If anyone knows how to make the boot parameter permanent, please let me know.

mikeh
September 30th, 2010, 08:33 AM
> If anyone knows how to make the boot parameter permanent, please let me know.

Its not very clear, but you use the commands given earlier on the same page:

echo options i915 modeset=1 | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf
sudo update-initramfs -u

I have done this, and 10.04 now runs. With compiz, suspend and hibernate, but using Xv (video accel) causes the display to lock up.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

Will try 10.10 beta.