http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/kinect

Will upgrade my aging Xbox Elite when this hits our shore next month

TheNerdAL
June 15th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Yeah, we'll see if PlayStation Move can beat it. :lolflag:

KiwiNZ
June 15th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I doubt it. I have a PS3 , I wish i didn't.

TheNerdAL
June 15th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I'm watching the live stream of Sony's E3 keynote and I'm liking what I see. It's Like Kinect but with Buttons.

KiwiNZ
June 15th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I'm watching the live stream of Sony's E3 keynote and I'm liking what I see. It's Like Kinect but with Buttons.

But it uses that abomination called a PS3 and that is where the pain begins ;-)

Forced Updates
Dopey Menus
Inept Media streaming
Mass storage woes

I still say though , it has one of the best Blu-Ray players out there.

TheNerdAL
June 15th, 2010, 08:38 PM

Forced Updates
Dopey Menus
Inept Media streaming
Mass storage woes

Good Point, PS3 sucks. :lolflag:

Penguin Guy
June 15th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I prefer using a controller. I feel stupid enough speaking to myself on a headset - I am not about to start jumping about the room like a lunatic and I, for one, won't be getting Kinect. In it's defense, I must admit it does look better than the original Xbox 360.

Perhaps in the future people will look back and laugh at how games were played using controllers with no moving about, just as we look back and laugh at how games were played using text with no graphics.

Forced Updates
Dopey Menus
Inept Media streaming
Mass storage woes
Be fair - Xbox 360 has problems of it's own.

TheNerdAL
June 15th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Be fair - Xbox 360 has problems of it's own.

We don't know if there will still be problems in the new Xbox 360. :)

cra1g321
June 15th, 2010, 08:59 PM
the features theyve added to it are features the ps3 had to begin with.
whisper fan
black gloss case
built-in wifi
touch buttons
and ps3 slim has 250gb

The kinect just looks like a advanced version of the eyetoy. I cant see alot of people using it.

i used to have a ps3 but swapped it for xbox360 . new xbox360 does look good but they should of released it ages ago

kernelhaxor
June 15th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Kinect won't be out till November 4.
I'm excited to see what kind of games and experiences will come out. To me, its really impressive how it can detect your body joints, movements, etc with absolutely no sensors mounted on yourself. There's a potential for a lot more applications of this technology beyond games.

TheNerdAL
June 15th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Kinect won't be out till November 4.
I'm excited to see what kind of games and experiences will come out. To me, its really impressive how it can detect your body joints, movements, etc with absolutely no sensors mounted on yourself. There's a potential for a lot more applications of this technology beyond games.

That's one reason why Kinect is better than PlayStation Move.

DrMelon
June 15th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Here's a problem I've found with Kinect - forward movement in a 3D game. You're pretty much limited to on-rails games now, as evidenced by that Star Wars game they showed. It's going to be really ropey for a while until they figure out something that'll work.

Also, $189.99.
Wow. Just for Kinect alone. Same old microsoft then.

SunnyRabbiera
June 15th, 2010, 09:14 PM

Forced Updates
Dopey Menus
Inept Media streaming
Mass storage woes

I still say though , it has one of the best Blu-Ray players out there.

Abomination?
Thats nice to say considering this is a microsoft product and you link to a website that wants frigging silverlight.

I can list why xbox sucks:
Nonstsandard storage media
Bulky controllers
Need to buy a add on just for internet
xbox live is needlessly expensive

kernelhaxor
June 15th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Here's a problem I've found with Kinect - forward movement in a 3D game. You're pretty much limited to on-rails games now, as evidenced by that Star Wars game they showed. It's going to be really ropey for a while until they figure out something that'll work.

Also, $189.99.

In comparison, Sony's move starter kit (camera, move controller, ..) is 100$? And that is sufficient for only one player .. additional player would have to buy move controllers at 59.99$

What can you say, they are all business corporations that want more and more money :P

KiwiNZ
June 15th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Abomination?
Thats nice to say considering this is a microsoft product and you link to a website that wants frigging silverlight.

Bulky controllers

I am 6'5" (for the Americans) 1.98 meters tall i have big hands so the tiny controllers of the PS3's are a pain.

What add on for the internet ?

I thought xbox live was quite reasonable but thats me , everyones budget is their affair.

As for Silverlight , it takes a few moments to download , affects nothing and you wont grow extra fingers or scales or anything :p

JDShu
June 15th, 2010, 10:15 PM
There are articles saying it looks awesome, and others that say that it's a huge failure. Also apparently the demo video that came out last year was acted out.

My take is that the price is probably too high to appeal to the casual gamer, which is what the Kinect is aimed at. The Kinect is basically Microsoft playing catchup to Nintendo, but besides being innovative, I think the Wii was as successful as it was due to the low price.

Of course, what it will come down to are the games. If Halo or Gears of War manage to make good use of it, then it'll be a runaway success :P

Legendary_Bibo
June 15th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I like how it took the engineers 5 years to figure out how to fix the cooling issue, which was to add more air holes :roll:

I'm excited for the playstation move actually mainly for that archery game, and LBP 2 :D

What I don't like is that they have a version that comes with a game, the PS Eye, and the Move, or a pack with the Move alone. I want a pack with the Move and the game! I already have a PS Eye.

zekopeko
June 15th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I am 6'5" (for the Americans) 1.98 meters tall i have big hands so the tiny controllers of the PS3's are a pain.

Although I don't own an Xbox360 I did play with the controller for the original Xbox (the non-bulky, second generation one). It was super nice. The only thing I didn't like were the XYBA buttons. I think Sony's have nicer feel when pressing.

Is there some fundamental difference between the original Xbox one and the one from Xbox360?

zekopeko
June 15th, 2010, 11:49 PM

Also, $189.99.

Not to mention how exhausting it is to actually have to move your entire body to play a game. Played Wii Resort and was totally exhausted after a few games.

On the price; considering what the thing actually does it isn't so bad. It will fall once they expand production.

Lightstar
June 15th, 2010, 11:52 PM
xbox sucks! mouwahahahahahah!

yester64
June 16th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I have been looking at these and they look cool

Well, that shows that the rest of the bunch don't want Nintendo to own the market of casual players.
Microsofts take is an interesting one since you don't need any device. Just your body.
Not sure if Fable 3 will still support it. I am looking forward to this.

K.Mandla
June 16th, 2010, 12:18 AM
http://www.cracked.com/article_18608_the-day-gaming-industry-died-impressions-from-e3-2010.html

I only mention that as a counterpoint, as I have no stake in any console gaming system. Unless it's Stone Soup (http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/). :D

McRat
June 16th, 2010, 12:45 AM
http://www.cracked.com/article_18608_the-day-gaming-industry-died-impressions-from-e3-2010.html

I only mention that as a counterpoint, as I have no stake in any console gaming system. Unless it's Stone Soup (http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/). :D

Good link.

An essay there from David Wong is actually kind of disturbing:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted_p1.html

cj.surrusco
June 16th, 2010, 02:01 AM

Also, $189.99.

You'd have to expect that from any manufacturer considering how new the technology is.

Groucho Marxist
June 16th, 2010, 02:23 AM
I have been looking at these and they look cool

I'm looking to purchase the new Xbox as well. Does anyone know when this will be released in the United States?

Legendary_Bibo
June 16th, 2010, 02:45 AM
I'm looking to purchase the new Xbox as well. Does anyone know when this will be released in the United States?
I'm hearing in November at around the same time as the Kinect.

KiwiNZ
June 16th, 2010, 03:09 AM
The new 360 is being released here in New Zealand first week July, the Kinect November

WinterRain
June 16th, 2010, 03:21 AM
I doubt it. I have a PS3 , I wish i didn't.

Wanna give it to me?

TheNerdAL
June 16th, 2010, 03:45 AM
I want to get the new Xbox 360 but I am trying to save money for an iMac (Don't beat me up!) and I might not be able to resist getting the new Xbox 360. ](*,)

KiwiNZ
June 16th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Wanna give it to me?

I am not that cruel :p

doorknob60
June 16th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Looks very nice :) Not sure how useful Kinect will actually be (looking at the very small amount of good Wii games...), but the new Xbox looks much better. I still love my PS3 though, and I can't see myself switching anytime soon.

EDIT: See what I'm talking about? This is Wii all over again...
http://cdn-www.cracked.com/phpimages/article/1/3/2/25132.jpg?v=1

RichardLinx
June 16th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Bulky controllers

Your first reason for thinking it sucks is verging on moronic.
Of all three systems this gen, the XBOX360 controller is the best IMO. You obviously haven't used one enough, or you have freakishly small hands.
What add on? It comes with everything you need to connect to the Internet.
XBOX Live is reasonably priced (IMO), and it offers the best online service. Sure, PS3 and Wii online are free - but they suck pretty hard. (IMO)

TheNerdAL
June 16th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Your first reason for thinking it sucks is verging on moronic.
Of all three systems this gen, the XBOX360 controller is the best IMO. You obviously haven't used one enough, or you have freakishly small hands.
What add on? It comes with everything you need to connect to the Internet.
XBOX Live is reasonably priced (IMO), and it offers the best online service. Sure, PS3 and Wii online are free - but they suck pretty hard. (IMO)

I agree, the new Xbox 360 has WiFi built in and the Xbox 360 controllers just fit your hand nicely.

Stancel
June 16th, 2010, 09:20 AM
anyone else notice the pun?

Kin (Microsoft's new phone)

so they took the word "connect" and made it Kinect.

huh.

anyway, I have an Xbox 360. I like it. And Kinect looks cool.

BrokenKingpin
June 16th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I don't see the point of upgrading your existing Xbox for the new one personally.

Also, Kinect looks horrible in my opinion. Give me a controller over anything like that any day.

betrunkenaffe
June 16th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Another gimmick..

I'm 6'4" and find the Xbox controllers to be unwieldy. I'm not sure what size of hands you must have to find it "comfortably fit".

JDShu
June 16th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Remember what I said about games?

If Ubisoft can pull this one off, then the Kinect will be a win :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10321397.stm

Stancel
June 16th, 2010, 09:40 PM
on second thought, maybe the name is a combination of "kinetic" and "connect" not "Kin" and "connect". the first one makes more sense I think.

cj.surrusco
June 16th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I agree. I can see where "kinetic" comes from, because it is based on motion.

madjr
June 16th, 2010, 11:07 PM
so kinectic is $150 webcam and ps move is much cheaper and packs more hardware + extra sensibility

hmm...

everything still blurry, i think i'll just use ma wii + pc for now

mamamia88
June 17th, 2010, 12:09 AM
i want one but i can't justify buying it since i already have old one with a do it yourself 250gb harddrive. if anything i might buy a wii so i can play donkey kong and nba jam

forrestcupp
June 17th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Playstation Move? Wow! They came out with a controller that is the same as what the Wii has had all along. How innovative!

Kinect really is innovative, but it would wear you out even more than the Wii does. I don't want to have to jump and run around the room to play a video game.

Plus, people say that Move is cheaper, but it only supports one player. Kinect can support two players with the one device.

When they get to where we can control a game with brain waves, then I'll be happy.