PDA

View Full Version : Will Ubuntu be at LinuxWorld in Boston?

nuzzy
March 27th, 2006, 01:17 PM
LinuxWorld is next Week (April 3-6) in Boston. Will there be an Ubuntu presence there?

endersshadow
March 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM
LinuxWorld is next Week (April 3-6) in Boston. Will there be an Ubuntu presence there?

Yes, Booth 318 :-D

And I will be there woooooooooo!!

nuzzy
March 27th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Excellent!! Are you working the booth?

endersshadow
March 27th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Excellent!! Are you working the booth?

Nope, I'm just a casual observer and attendee :-D

Edit: http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/events/12BOS06A/exposition/exhibitorinfo//QMONYA04QGRY

There's the booth info for Ubuntu.

endersshadow
March 30th, 2006, 06:08 PM
So is nobody else attending this awesome event?!

catlett
March 31st, 2006, 01:02 AM
Is it open to the public? The expo's site and the Linux Wold Expo site didn't seem to make it clear. I've been to the Hynes for the Homes shows and bike shows, is it the same way at the expo? Just pay at the door and browse around to the different booths? Just for the heck of it, home many Boston/New Englanders are there in Ubuntu. I've just recently found it myself. There isn't a Boston or New England team is there?

endersshadow
March 31st, 2006, 01:06 AM
I posted this in the other thread, but I'm moving it here :-D

Yes, it's open to the public...but not really. You have to register. Good news is that if you do it before Monday, it's free!

http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/register///CC60804

Those are the registrations...the Exhibits Only pass is free...that means you get to walk around the floor, play with the demonstrations, etc. It's a good time. You just can't go to any workshops or speeches.

Here's the registration form: https://register.rcsreg.com/regos-1.0/linuxbos2006/ga/index2.html

It's in the new Expo Center across the street from the World Trade Center in Southie. If you're taking the T (as I am), take the Red Line to South Station, then grab the Silver Line to the WTC stop...it's right across the street from the WTC.

Can't wait! Woooooooooooooo!!

P.S.-Ubuntu's probably got all the help they need setting it up. This forum is in no way associated with Canonical Ltd (the company behind Ubuntu), so it's the wrong place to offer services, but I'm sure they appreciate it :-D

Ubuntu will be Booth 318 at the Expo.

Seriously, I'm excited.

Edit: If you need any other info, feel free to email me at endersshadowATusersDOTsourceforgeDOTnet

catlett
March 31st, 2006, 01:34 AM
Thanks. Sorry to post in two different places, I just followed the link to your thread and saw you posted only a few hours ago. Thanks again because I would have missed the registration part. I figured they were all set but I just had to offer help. Ubuntu has added alot of enjoyment and good software to my life so I just wanted to let them know I appreciate it and would help Ubuntu if I could. Maybe I'll bump into you and we can unplug Linspire's monitors.:twisted:

drizek
March 31st, 2006, 01:43 AM
Im sure there will be an (empty) windows booth there, so you can go run dapper livecds on their 'puters.

endersshadow
March 31st, 2006, 01:49 AM
Well, here's the Exhibitor List (http://linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/events/12BOS06A/exposition/exhibitorlist), and neither Linspire nor Microsoft are there. However, the expo pass lets you into the keynotes, which includes our friend Bill Hilf. Check out that list here (http://linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/events/12BOS06A/keynotes).

drizek
March 31st, 2006, 02:02 AM
What is apple doing there?

Im surprised that MS/linspire didnt show up thoough. I thought MS attended all these things.

However, it is good to see computer manufacturers with a booth(dell, hitachi, fujitsu, etc.). AMD has two and Intel has three.

catlett
March 31st, 2006, 02:08 AM
Do you think microsoft is making a serious effort?
In this talk, Bill Hilf will walk through the research and analysis from Microsoft's Linux/Open Source labs around these issues. Ther are some heavy hitters arriving for this. Now I see why it is so much money to attend the seminars etc. If Linux is your business you have to be there. I'll just have to follow the age old addage when I go...It is better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone think your stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt.:-D

catlett
March 31st, 2006, 02:13 AM
Didn't see your post, was typing. What is Apple doing there? Shouldn't they be at a BSD conference. Or are they trying to play both sides. Hey Windows people, Gates owns a piece of us and we have Intel chips. And then. Hey Linux people. Linux is making a real grass roots movement. Did you know we're based on BSD and BSD is Unixed based and Unix is the base for LInux. Our OS's are practically the same.:mrgreen:

drizek
March 31st, 2006, 02:25 AM
But its linuxworld. Apple is very anti-linux and anti-opensource. The only reason they use so much OSS in their products is because they dont have enough developers/money to do it on their own.

endersshadow
March 31st, 2006, 02:51 AM
But its linuxworld. Apple is very anti-linux and anti-opensource. The only reason they use so much OSS in their products is because they dont have enough developers/money to do it on their own.

No clue as to why they're there...I suppose we'll find out :-D

BTW-Intel's booth was pretty corny last year, but go to Sun's...they're probably showing off Looking Glass (https://lg3d.dev.java.net/) again, and their Thin Clients, which, are freaking gold for them...but only if they can drop the initial and continuing cost way down.

catlett
March 31st, 2006, 02:57 AM
It looks like they were there last year too. I was trying to find a statement from Apple about their attending and didn't find anything. But I found this review of the Expo in Boston last year.
A strange company to see there was Apple Computers. I then thought to myself, Linux is a cousin of Apple due to Mac OS X using an open source kernel. Perhaps then Apple's attendance isnt so strange after all. We played with the new app "Pages" and the Mac Mini. The Apple displays must have had my drool on it, since the rendering of images on it was outstanding. VM Ware was a big deal to me. Seeing Windows XP run on it like it was native was just like magic. You had a chance to try a demo and even win a full version. I guess they have been attending. It's funny because when I went to Apple's main page and went to their listings of events, they didn't have the LinuxWorldExpo listed.:-k

endersshadow
March 31st, 2006, 03:03 AM
Huh...I was there last year, but didn't see them...weird...

drizek
March 31st, 2006, 03:30 AM
No clue as to why they're there...I suppose we'll find out :-D

BTW-Intel's booth was pretty corny last year, but go to Sun's...they're probably showing off Looking Glass (https://lg3d.dev.java.net/) again, and their Thin Clients, which, are freaking gold for them...but only if they can drop the initial and continuing cost way down.

Im in California ;)

benplaut
March 31st, 2006, 03:30 AM
i'm gonna be there next year... i was planning for it this year, but it conflicts with school =/