PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Updated to 10.04, windows xp won't boot

tor-arne
June 15th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I have grub dual boot.
I upgraded from ubuntu 9.04 to 10.04 today, there was some questions about grub, and I marked all of the /dev. But now I cannot boot my windows partition.
Windows XP is on the grub boot menu, but if I click on it, a black screen show up, and only a blinking cursor.
When i boot ubuntu, I can read the ntfs partition.
What do I have to do, to get windows xp to boot again?

Thanks
Tor Arne

tor-arne
June 15th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I have fix it

amirmku
June 15th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I have grub dual boot.
I upgraded from ubuntu 9.04 to 10.04 today, there was some questions about grub, and I marked all of the /dev. But now I cannot boot my windows partition.
Windows XP is on the grub boot menu, but if I click on it, a black screen show up, and only a blinking cursor.
When i boot ubuntu, I can read the ntfs partition.
What do I have to do, to get windows xp to boot again?

Thanks
Tor Arne

Hi,
Hey Can you tell me how u upgraded ubuntu 9.04 to ubuntu 10.04, is it using live cd? if yes can you please tell how to do it in detail.

As me too have windows xp as well as ubuntu 9.04 on my dual boot syytem ( 2GB RAM, 320 hardisk, lenovo laptop). I want to switch to 10.04 and I found doing a clean install is better idea rather than upgrading to karmic and then to lucid based on peoples collective view.

As being a newbie I dont know whether to uninstall the ubuntu 9.04 and then reinstall or just put live cd and install as the normal ubuntu installation i did for first time ?

There is lot i see about grub issue do I need to worry about that ?

Please help me regarding clean installation of ubuntu 10.04 in detail.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Phelps
June 15th, 2010, 06:57 PM
amirmku:

Please don't hijack this thread. It's not about upgrading to 10.04, it's about not being able to boot Windows XP.

For details about upgrading, please start your own thread.

amirmku
June 15th, 2010, 07:03 PM
amirmku:

Please don't hijack this thread. It's not about upgrading to 10.04, it's about not being able to boot Windows XP.

For details about upgrading, please start your own thread.

ya he too have upgraded to ubuntu 10.04 aftr which he faced problem, and he even solved it.
Shouldn't he be the right person to ask abou my doubts

tor-arne
June 15th, 2010, 09:41 PM
ya he too have upgraded to ubuntu 10.04 aftr which he faced problem, and he even solved it.
Shouldn't he be the right person to ask abou my doubts

Hi, ubuntu only ask me to update to 10.04 and I only confirm that.
Ubuntu 10.04 work perfectly for me. The reason that I could not boot Xp after the update, was because you are being ask for grub update, and I realy don't know what to do, so I installed Grub2 on a windows partition. And that overwrite my MBR. My fault, so now I have fixed that.