PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] First timer - Screen flicker during and after installation

WehageDK
June 15th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hello there,

I've just installed Ubuntu 10.4 alongside Windows. During the installation process, everything was black, then it flickered for a couple of seconds, then went black again. This happened many times. After the installation, I was hoping it would stop, but the same thing happens at the login screen. It flickers for a couple of seconds, then goes black. I figure it has something to do with my display drivers, but I don't know how to install them without using Ubuntu. If it makes any difference, I have an ATI Radeon 4890 video card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

proggy
June 15th, 2010, 04:57 PM
If you can see your desktop long enough to go to system>administration>hardware drivers and install the proprietary drivers for your card it should fix the problem.
As you can see in my signature i have a card pretty close to yours and had a similar problem.

WehageDK
June 15th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Yes, but the problem is that I can't.. I might've exaggerated with the "couple of seconds", it's more like a nanosecond.

EDIT:

By the way, I've also tried starting up in recovery mode, but it made no difference. Same issue.

proggy
June 15th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Well at the first i had 9.10 and did an upgrade to 10.04 as I had the proprietary drivers already installed ,i didn`t have that issue.
But then i decided to do a clean install of 10.04 when i noticed the flickering and i had to install the drivers as i mentionned before mostly from memory with my mouse hovering over the top menu till i got to the line with the drivers.
This is a suggestion only and does not guarantee success ,install 9.10 (then make sure you do all the updates)then the upgrade to 10.04.
Important point make sure you do all the updates or your your upgrade may be only partial or broken.

WehageDK
June 15th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I guess I'll try that. Thanks for your help.

proggy
June 15th, 2010, 05:57 PM
You`re welcomed I hope it works out.