PDA

View Full Version : Question about asking for better salary after job offer?

Kdar
June 15th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I am University student (in USA), studying EE major.

I received a job offer from one company to work as internship. Before, in my Employment Application which I sent to them, I wrote my desired salary to be $17.25 per hour (I was receiving this salary at my previous job, also internship).

After few month ago they gave me a offer by e-mail, with salary of $14 per hour.

How can I ask for a better salary? I think $14 is much lower than what I was getting before.

I asked her once by e-mail, but this replied something generic like :
Dear X
Thank you for your inquiry regarding the pay scale for the open position at XCompany.
As stated in the offer letter dated June 14, 2010, the pay scale for this position is $14.00 per hour. If you are still interested in this position, please let me know.
---

Also.. Should I forward my request for better pay to two people with who I had interview? (she person who gave in the offer is HR).

whiskeylover
June 15th, 2010, 04:10 PM
It depends on how much the salary matters to you. Last year, I refused a job offer 2 days before joining because it wasn't paying enough.

alphaniner
June 15th, 2010, 04:10 PM
As stated in the offer letter dated June 14, 2010, the pay scale for this position is $14.00 per hour. If you are still interested in this position, please let me know.

That sounds pretty final to me.

Tristam Green
June 15th, 2010, 04:11 PM
If you feel you're worth more, state as such, but back it up with data outlined on your résumé.

If they don't flinch, then you always have the power of "no". Don't feel you have to settle for something less than what you're worth. It opens up all kinds of ways for the employer to walk all over you much later.

buddyd16
June 15th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Is the job located in the USA?

If so the low offer may be related to the current economy and the fact that you will be an intern and not a full employee. There are also other factors that play into the payscale for interns such as company size, # employees, location, etc.

I can say as an intern keep expectations on pay low as there are a lot of companies who do not pay their interns. Internships should be looked at as a summer long interview.

howefield
June 15th, 2010, 04:18 PM
How can I ask for a better salary?

It's really easy, you write to whomever made the job offer and tell them your conditions for accepting the position. Worded in an appropriate way of course. End of.

Depends on whether they want you, or can offer to someone else similarly qualified.

Be prepared for a knock back.

On the other hand, it may be a position that will earn you money whilst you look for something that does pay what you want.

frncz
June 15th, 2010, 04:19 PM
There are several aspects to consider.
the first one is how badly do you need the job. If you really need it, and prospects for another job offer are distant, then you have little choice but to accept.

However the salary is not all the story. The new company may offer you a total package that is better than the hourly pay you were getting previously, if you consider perks such as medical insurance, pension contributions, share options, bonus, sick leave and holiday pay, access to a car, a sport centre, subsidised cafeteria, home financing...
Most importantly, the new job may offer you further training opportunities and prospects for promotion.

Can you see anything in the offer beyond the hourly pay?

do you have all the information you need?

samalex
June 15th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I asked her once by e-mail, but this replied something generic like :
Dear X
Thank you for your inquiry regarding the pay scale for the open position at XCompany.

I agree with another poster, this seems like a 'take it or leave it' statement with little wiggle room, but you could always ask for more and see what happens. Also don't internships normally pay lower anyway? Maybe you could work out a deal to come in at the amount they're offering with a raise of $X or %X in 6 months to a year granted everything's going well.

Sam

Paqman
June 15th, 2010, 04:48 PM
How can I ask for a better salary?

You can't. It's only an internship, you've got no leverage over them.

Internships aren't about earning decent money, they're about getting your foot in the door and picking up experience. Companies know they can get interns to work for peanuts, so they do.

kamaboko
June 15th, 2010, 04:58 PM
You're lucky to be paid as an intern. I had an EE candidate (I recruit electronic warfare engineers) from Stanford who was damn grateful to even get an internship. Look at it this way. The employer is not going to give you mind numbing critical work, therefore the low pay. Moreover, this is your time, and they expect it, for you to "PROVE" you're worth a FT position in the future. Your priorities and outlook are all wrong. Go in with a smile on your face and knock them dead with talent. That will get their attention. I can say right now you started off on the wrong foot by asking for more money. Question: didn't you ask what the compensation was or look it up before you applied? If not, why?

proggy
June 15th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Take it if it`s worth it once/if you become a full employee and the benefits are good ,everyone needs to start at the bottom unless your some genius the company can`t do without.
I started at 11$ as a full time employee i now get a 1$ pay a raise every 6 months until i get top pay for my position after that i get bonuses twice a year with a pay raise once a year.I also get full medical /dental.
i`m not bragging here i`m just saying i had to go through fairly low wages at the beginning but now it was all worth it

Dragonbite
June 15th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Man, my internships were unpaid. :(

oldsoundguy
June 15th, 2010, 06:09 PM
No, the salaries do not line up .. but what about BENEFITS? Are the benefits sufficient to make up the difference?

And this IS an internship, is it not? Getting paid ANYTHING while learning is much better than it used to be.