PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help!!!! Java applette stops working

perro68
June 15th, 2010, 03:23 PM
WHat would cause an applette to stop working after performing an upgrade?

there is one applette that would allow me to access a site that just stoped workign when i upgraded the distrubution

how can i determine exactly what caused this

Mr_Bumpy
June 15th, 2010, 05:28 PM
It's possibly because Ubuntu 10.04 uses openjdk rather than sun-java6 for its Java runtime. You can change it back by following these steps:
1. Make sure the Lucid partner repository is enabled (go into System -> Administration -> Software Sources, and on the second tab, make sure the box next to "http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner" is checked)
2. Paste the following commands into a terminal:

sudo apt-get remove icedtea6-plugin
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jdk
sudo apt-get remove icedtea-6-jre-cacao openjdk-6-jre openjdk-6-jre-headless openjdk-6-jre-lib
3. Set the Sun JDK as your default Java installation:

sudo update-java-alternatives --set java-6-sun
4. Test:

java -version

Hopefully that will fix your broken Java applet.

perro68
June 16th, 2010, 04:16 PM
This does not seem to work

i have no idea where to begin diagnosing the error

like i said it works fine....on 9.04

but once i upgrade the site gives me a login error

it uses a java applet to log in with

I looked up the error itself on a separate website

Problem: Unable to access DTS (Error message "There has been a problem with Login. Problem getting security information from your computer. Please contact your DTS site administrator for assistance."), or DTS stalls at DBsign: logging into cryptographic libraries....

Cure : In Internet Explorer: Go to Tools, Internet Options, Security (tab), Click on Trusted Sites (green checkmark), Click Sites (button), in the Add this website to the zone: type in "*.osd.mil" after unchecking "Require Server Verification", click add (button), select close, then click OK
Cure2: Go to: Tools, Internet Options, Security (tab), click on the Internet Security option. Uncheck the box for Enable Protected Mode.

question how does one add a trusted site in Firefox ....is does not handle security the same as IE

could it be setting of firefox that keep me from loging in

again

it works fine on 9.04 ....i format the drive install 9.04 ...i install everything

and it works fine ...but when i upgrade .... i get the log in error

I would hate to go back to windows ..... and i would not want to have use 9.04 when 10.04 is available of date

darkod
June 16th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Have you tried clean install of 10.04?

Why install 9.04 and do two upgrades to reach 10.04. Maybe the upgrades are getting something wrong.

Did you make sure you are using sun jdk as the previous reply suggested? When you check the version does it say sun jdk?

perro68
June 17th, 2010, 07:14 AM
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

this is what i get when i do the version commant

i am at a lost with this

what could be the sourse of my issue

i still can not log in ....

i did a str8 install with a 10.04 disk .....i get the same error

perro68
June 18th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I have tried a clean install of Lucid and logging in gives me the same error as mention above

I have 9.04 jaunty installed on a partition now and it works fine.......perfect

how can i lock my firefox and java and still upgrade my distrubution

On the 10.04 partition i cleaned out every reference of java i could find ....reinstalled

and it still did not work

SOMEONE PLEASE HELL ME

darkod
June 18th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Can you ask for support from the website you are trying to log into? I am using Lucid and still haven't found a single website that would refuse to log me in.

Sometimes they design websites around IE and they are not even aware of issues that can come up in Firefox. Maybe it's affecting Firefox 3.6 only, I don't know.

perro68
June 18th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Can you ask for support from the website you are trying to log into? I am using Lucid and still haven't found a single website that would refuse to log me in.

Sometimes they design websites around IE and they are not even aware of issues that can come up in Firefox. Maybe it's affecting Firefox 3.6 only, I don't know.

I am using firefox 3.6.3 on jaunty ...it works fine

it is when i urgrade to karmic it stops working

a clean install of lucid does not work either

is there a way i can lock everything in place so to speak as far as java and firefox is concerned and still upgrade to karmic and than lucid?

i

kyyp912
August 15th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Ubuntu 10.04 can be used to sign into DTS using the following out of the Software Center:

OpenJDK Java 6 Runtime - This along with the Web Start are the JRE equivalents

OpenJDK Java 6 Web Start - This along with the Runtime are the JRE equivalents

Icedtea Java Plugin - This is the Firefox plugin to allow JRE to run

Smart Card PKCS #11 cryptographic module - Permits use of the CAC Reader. Must have the Key applet

Smart Card Cool Key applet - Permits use of the CAC reader. Must have the crypto module

These along with the set up to permit FireFox to use the CAC will allow you to get into the DBsign portion of the DTS login. Unfortunately, I don't know what to put in for the set up of DBSign to actually get into my login. I cannot locate my certs though it. If anyone gets past this portion, please update.

Kyyp

JT3
August 30th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Have you had any luck yet? I am in a similar boat. CAC card works for other sites but here I keep getting the DTS login error and it never asks for my pin.
Login Error There has been a problem with login
The site is experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again later or contact your DTS site administrator for assistance.

Thanks!

ta1kradio
September 12th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Same issue here. Any luck resolving?

daniel.cotter
March 13th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Ok, I am reading through this, because I can get past the DBSign portion, but it just sits there telling me "Signed Successfully..." then does not load the page. I am going to try some of what has been suggested, and I will let you know if anything works. (10.10 user)

daniel.cotter
March 13th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Ok,

I know this thread is a couple months old, but the issue is new to me, and I did not find the answer on this forum, so maybe it is still an open issue for some of you.

I found a solution here (http://zxq9.com/dodcac/U10.4-LTS-32/Ubuntu10.4-LTS-32.html#Java).

It speaks of 9.04, but it worked for me, and I am running 10.10. It deals with the DoD site's applet (DBSign) being written for the Sun version of the JDK.

The instructions there worked beautifully, and I can log into DTS now.

mccartyj
November 11th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Has anyone gotten this to work in 11.10?

I had it working in 10.04, but had to switch to CACKey vs CoolKey when I upgraded to 11.10...

From the looks of it, the DBSign suite does not communicate at all with the CAC card when it asks for a password. It works fine (and lights up) on other sites like OWA and AF Portal...