PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu and other Linux Distros not working on Old Advent pentium lll laptop

jhon6655
June 15th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I have old Advent pentium lll laptop Model number 340s2. I have tried more than twelve linux distribution none of them work except damn small linus and some extent Puppy linux. The distros loads but hang at the main window. dont knoe what to do.

Advent 340s2
RaM 128
Hard drive 12gb

Mark Phelps
June 15th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Look at the link below. Your system doesn't even come close to satisfying the minimum requirements:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

jhon6655
June 26th, 2010, 04:45 PM
My main problem is that windows XP works very well on my old laptop but linux distros dont. I have used ubuntu 9.10 and ubuntu 10.04 on my other laptop and I have quite like both. But none of the linux distros work on my Advent pentium lll laptop with 12gb hard drive and 128 ram processor is intel 800 MHZ. I have tried live cd, live usb and tried to install all of them. I only successfully installed CrunhbangLinux but was extremly slow. Puppy linx was fast but freezed very frequently. Damn small linux had very poor graphics and wont detect wireless card. Ubuntu 9.10, Ubuntu 10.04, ubuntu 6 alternate, ubuntu mini, ubuntu light, ubuntu 10.04 server,
xubuntu 10.04 desktop, xubuntu 10.04 alternate, xubuntu 9.10 desktop, kiwilinux, slax, slackware, opensuse, pclinuxos, zenwalk, syllable server, fedora, gentoo, simple mepis, easy peasy linux and another one starts with z have all been tried with no luck.
if windows xp works then why cant linux work on my old laptop?
help please.

dandnsmith
June 26th, 2010, 07:30 PM
With a similar model/age Advent laptop, I found over the years that remarkably few liveCDs would run straight off. In general the graphics will give trouble on these non-mainstream jobs.
Latterly, I've had success with low RAM models using AntiX.

webbdawg
June 26th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Linux used to be a great way to give more life to older computers. Now the newer versions seem to want newer comnputers.

I have an amd sempron 512mb ram 80gb hd. I only get errors when trying to install. I get all the way to the time zone setting and after I click next, it just stalls and gives an error (no explaination) and wants to boot the cd to a desktop for trouble shooting. Only I have no idea what to trouble shoot.

Where did all the older versions like 8.x go?? I am sure they will work fine with older systems.

webbdawg
June 26th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I found this from google, funny it is not listed on the Ubuntu menu at the bottom of their home page.

Older versions of Ubuntu (http://releases.ubuntu.com/)

cascade9
June 26th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Latterly, I've had success with low RAM models using AntiX.

+1.

Linux used to be a great way to give more life to older computers. Now the newer versions seem to want newer comnputers.

I have an amd sempron 512mb ram 80gb hd. I only get errors when trying to install. I get all the way to the time zone setting and after I click next, it just stalls and gives an error (no explaination) and wants to boot the cd to a desktop for trouble shooting. Only I have no idea what to trouble shoot.

Where did all the older versions like 8.x go?? I am sure they will work fine with older systems.

Ubuntu was never really made to be a 'light' distro.

8.04 is still avaible, but its coming to the end of its life now. Anything older than that is way out of support, and shouldnt be used IMO. (they would be OK on computers with no internet connection, but really, anyone who wants to run version before 8.04 for speed/lightness reasons would be better off using a different distro)

snowpine
June 29th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Of all the distros you mention, Puppy seems the most appropriate for those hardware specs. (I do not recommend using old, outdated distros.) You might also look into a distro called SliTaz, a newer project that can be pretty fast on older hardware.

The fact that even Puppy is constantly crashing suggests the computer might have hardware problems. I would start by testing the ram, running a hard drive diagnostic, cleaning out the case, checking the connections, etc.

Your hardware specs are much too low for a modern distro like Ubuntu. I don't know what that thing has for a processor, but 128mb of RAM is insufficient for most distros. Ignoring a distro's minimum requirements is an easy way to waste some time. :)