PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] samsung clx-2160

okkadiroglu
June 15th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Hi,

I am using the latest version and upgrades of Ubuntu. My printer/scanner clx-2160 was working without any problems. After recent updates something happened. When I start the printer I hear griding gear sounds. I took the printer to two separate repair shops and they found nothing wrong with it. It operated correctly with other computers. If I do not plug the USB in printer starts without any problem, but if I start it with the USB plugged in I hear grinding gear sounds. If I start the printer without the USB plugged in and later plugin the USB I get an error message on the printer saying "Internal Error Power Off/On" and "USB_Ctr1EP.c 72 IDLE".

I have downloaded the most recent Samsung Driver and installed it. The port that the printer is connected is supposed to be /dev/mfp4 but the Unified Driver Configurator says that the port is unused.

lsusb does not show the printer. Somehow the computer does not see the printer. What am I suppose to do?

Many thanks for your help

16 June,

I tried the printer/scanner with a ubuntu notebook and it worked without any problem. It seem there is nothing wrong with the printer/scanner but there is a problem with my desktop computer in recognizing the scanner/printer on a USB port. Any ideas?

Many thanks again

tranqui69
July 24th, 2010, 06:16 PM
First sorry for my English.

Well, my Samsung CLX-2160 did the same griding gear sounds. I freak out, but i found that it was a kind of driver problem.

With the same computer and USB cable, and Window$ XP the printer works well.

I formatted my pc and the things became normal.

BUT. And there's my point.

I try to put the Samsung official drivers and all screwed up.
The install process dont find any local printer, of course nothing of the scanner (it never worked in my case), and i'm freaking out again.

Can somebody tell me the right way to install and use the Scanner and the printer?

I read million of times the install instructions, i did, but i never have a successfull installation.

Why is ubuntu so complicated? Why? :(

Thank you.

okkadiroglu
July 25th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Hi,

Since I posted my problems on this list, I did few things to solve it. I am still not able to use my printer yet but, I did get some information about the problem. I have written to Samsung, Korea and they alerted our local Samsung people. It seems that the Samsung drivers are good for Ubuntu 5.04, 5.10, 6.04, 6.10, 7.04, 7.10, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10. I was informed that they are working on the 10.4 LTS distribution. Soon (who knows when) new Linux version will be available. Patience! :(

May be Ubuntu/Samsung users should ask that Samsung and Ubuntu to work together so that we do not need to wait months after each upgrade.

Best Regards