PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ubuntu licensing

dvwolfman
June 15th, 2010, 04:36 AM
I am an Ubuntu user, and I have a question:

Is all the software that comes with the official versions of, say, 10.04 LTS compliant with all the licences (like GPLs/copyleft) for all the software that makes up Ubuntu? Are there any illegal or non-free elements used in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS?

Please help me clarify this,

Thanks

murderslastcrow
June 15th, 2010, 04:40 AM
There are none included by default, since that would technically be ILLEGAL. Canonical couldn't make money or be taken seriously as a business if they did include that stuff- that's why it's not enabled by default in the first place, until you come to the closed video/wireless drivers which have other issues as well.

So yeah, if you install 10.04, you're only using free software, with the ability to use non-free.

To be honest, Linux is very popular- just not particularly its use or recognition on the desktop. People are commonly misled about what it is- whenever I show someone Compiz or KDE 4 their jaws drop.

It's just not common knowledge, just like VLC is the best media player but not everyone uses it for some reason. Just not a lot of people screaming about it or advertising it.

aysiu
June 15th, 2010, 04:47 AM
I am an Ubuntu user, and I have a question:

Is all the software that comes with the official versions of, say, 10.04 LTS compliant with all the licences (like GPLs/copyleft) for all the software that makes up Ubuntu? Are there any illegal or non-free elements used in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS?

Please help me clarify this,

Thanks
Ubuntu is very conservative in terms of obeying the copyright laws of even the most ridiculous laws in certain countries, so by default, Ubuntu will not include any illegal or not-properly-licensed software.

If you stick with the Main and Universe repositories (go to System > Administration > Software Sources to see what's checked), that will continue to be true.

If you install additional software from Restricted, Multiverse, Partner, or Medibuntu repositories, that may not be true.

dvwolfman
June 15th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Thank you, I am just a Ubuntu user, but am working on a business plan, and read quite a bit about the legal implications of the GPLs/copyleft...I wanted to clarify this point just to get it out of the way, I had heard different things from different peole...so glad I asked, but I will ask others as well. I just want to understand the legal implications and liability issues involved in running and distributing and installing Ubuntu.
Where could I find what you are talking about in writing, on the net, could you point me to the resource you used to get that info?

Thank you for you time, Murderslastcrow

David Wolfman

There are none included by default, since that would technically be ILLEGAL. Canonical couldn't make money or be taken seriously as a business if they did include that stuff- that's why it's not enabled by default in the first place, until you come to the closed video/wireless drivers which have other issues as well.

So yeah, if you install 10.04, you're only using free software, with the ability to use non-free.

To be honest, Linux is very popular- just not particularly its use or recognition on the desktop. People are commonly misled about what it is- whenever I show someone Compiz or KDE 4 their jaws drop.

It's just not common knowledge, just like VLC is the best media player but not everyone uses it for some reason. Just not a lot of people screaming about it or advertising it.

dvwolfman
June 15th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Ubuntu is very conservative in terms of obeying the copyright laws of even the most ridiculous laws in certain countries, so by default, Ubuntu will not include any illegal or not-properly-licensed software.

If you stick with the Main and Universe repositories (go to System > Administration > Software Sources to see what's checked), that will continue to be true.

If you install additional software from Restricted, Multiverse, Partner, or Medibuntu repositories, that may not be true.

I am familiar with the different repositories, good to remind me though, I won't get into my goals, because no one would believe me, lol, until I have the document done, which makes sense, but I'm using this resource to understand the implications of open source licencing in my business plan, which I hope will benefit the entire Ubuntu community:

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2008/compliance-guide.html (http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2008/compliance-guide.html)

but thank you for clarifying the conservatism of inclusions to Ubuntu

aysiu
June 15th, 2010, 05:03 AM
You may find this page helpful:
http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/licensing

And this:
http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/components

dvwolfman
June 15th, 2010, 05:08 AM
You may find this page helpful:
http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/licensing

And this:
http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/components

Yes I do find that helpful, thanks, I kind of running through a maze of issues, but development is going well, I might ask, Aysiu, do you know of any previous Ubuntu business models which have been tried involving paid support, particularly hands-on tech support for Ubuntu machines? If not, do you know an administrator that might? I have tried to find this info for myself or though contacts and can't.

Thank you Aysiu, for your help.

David Wolfman

aysiu
June 15th, 2010, 05:22 AM
There is paid support, but I've never used it.

More details here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/services

dvwolfman
June 15th, 2010, 05:33 AM
There is paid support, but I've never used it.

More details here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/services

Thank you, this helps, I will navigate that page, but as I have navigated the Canonical site, I expect to find limited hands on support for end users and non-profit groups...I could be wrong, I hope to be...I think Ubuntu is such a great OS, but I think that not all users have/will have the time to learn even the things I have...

I am in Massachusetts, and I don't know of a support technician I could tell my friends to call if I was too busy to help with their computers. Thus, I am drawing up a business plan, but yes I must review this document from ubuntu.com first...
I am certain Ubuntu.com offers RDS, remote desktop service, but not certain that hands on service are available in most US geographic areas...what I am working on would be irrelevant if such a system were in place, which would be fine with me. The framework and provisions exist for a service industry, now that 10/04 is here, and so much has been resolved, it is time to provide the element which gives all users, even those of strict time budgets, the ability to use the power of Ubuntu...I wish Canonical could do that, but they need more partners, I think...

aysiu
June 15th, 2010, 05:43 AM
BLU may be helpful for those who want support but can't pay for it:
http://www.blu.org/installfests/

Generally speaking, Linux users are pretty generous in providing support to new users.

dvwolfman
June 15th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I understand. User to user support. This model will not expand Ubuntu into the non-technical market. However, it is very important that it exist. If people are not paid for their time, they will run out of time when the end user needs it. It is a principle of supply and demand. Ubuntu is at a high point, that's great, but it can remain free and some of the service load can be sustained by providing a framework of paid support. Do you have other resources I should be aware of? I don't mean to waste your time, it is valuable.

Any links to initiatives or really anything related to support is helpful, thank you again. I want to fully understand the existing model and attempts to extend it.

murderslastcrow
June 15th, 2010, 06:49 AM
The reason that I don't buy support is because, with a little tutoring, and what I went through back in the day when xorg.conf still needed modification on very rare occasion, I know enough to be fine doing the kind of support they offer for myself, anyway.

The kind of support they supposedly don't offer to individuals in those packages are the kinds of things I'd like help with, and for that there are the forums.

Windows support actually works in a very similar way- except if it's not in a tiny work flow, replace the OS is what you're commonly told, rather than a detailed way to get rid of whatever problems you're having.

I've pretty much never heard anyone give 'reinstall' as a solution to a Linux problem since, usually that won't change the issue and it would merely be a matter of convenience.

We're problem solvers, so we'd like to pave the road for noobs rather than pretend we don't have issues and send more customers to Geek Squad to get milked for all they're worth.

dvwolfman
June 16th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Different support models will work for different users in different ways. I applaud you for educating yourself, via a little tutoring, I did do it that way myself, but paid support/training has a context for people/groups who don't have the time to learn what we learned for legitimate reasons, both professional and personal. I think Ubuntu is for them too. nm about my posts on this thread, I will figure out where to find the resources I need. Thanks, enjoy, I really love Ubuntu, it keeps me free. 100%.

The reason that I don't buy support is because, with a little tutoring, and what I went through back in the day when xorg.conf still needed modification on very rare occasion, I know enough to be fine doing the kind of support they offer for myself, anyway.

The kind of support they supposedly don't offer to individuals in those packages are the kinds of things I'd like help with, and for that there are the forums.

Windows support actually works in a very similar way- except if it's not in a tiny work flow, replace the OS is what you're commonly told, rather than a detailed way to get rid of whatever problems you're having.

I've pretty much never heard anyone give 'reinstall' as a solution to a Linux problem since, usually that won't change the issue and it would merely be a matter of convenience.

We're problem solvers, so we'd like to pave the road for noobs rather than pretend we don't have issues and send more customers to Geek Squad to get milked for all they're worth.