PDA

View Full Version : I like showing off Ubuntu to my friends on Facebook.

irv
June 15th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Most of my friends on facebook are windows and Mac users so I post thing on and off showing off my Ubuntu Desktop and some of the apps I have installed. check out the screen shot and read the bottom post in the screen shot first.

ubunterooster
June 15th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Do you get many replies doing this?

irv
June 15th, 2010, 02:40 AM

Just a few.

TheNerdAL
June 15th, 2010, 02:40 AM

Yeah, I might do the same. :P

TheNerdAL
June 15th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Just a few.

What do they say?

Breambutt
June 15th, 2010, 02:41 AM
I like showing Fecespoop "the bird".

ubunterooster
June 15th, 2010, 02:42 AM
That is like the worst misspelling of facebook I've ever seen

cj.surrusco
June 15th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Most of my friends that I show Ubuntu to are impressed, but are either too lazy or not experienced enough to give it a try on their own systems.

I think a lot more people would use Linux/Ubuntu if they just knew about it. Whenever I say "Linux" in a conversation, 9/10 people don't even know what it is.

cj.surrusco
June 15th, 2010, 02:45 AM
That is like the worst misspelling of facebook I've ever seen

And at the same time, it is so accurate.

ubunterooster
June 15th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Most of my friends that I show Ubuntu to are impressed, but are either too lazy or not experienced enough to give it a try on their own systems.

I think a lot more people would use Linux/Ubuntu if they just knew about it. Whenever I say "Linux" in a conversation, 9/10 people don't even know what it is.
Around here 4/5 neighbors don't know what "windows" is; they use "a computer"
:lolflag:

Endomancer
June 15th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Yeah I got a bad habit of doing this too. In fact Iv even devoted an entire album in my facebook photos to Ubuntu, linked below as "Boring geeky computer pics"

irv
June 15th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I posted this video on there today, an asked if anyone could do this with there windows. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5baDknt6Z7w
My son-in-law just stopped by and when I was showing him a few things on Ubuntu he was telling me that Win7 can do some of the same things compiz could do. Is this true? I never seen it.

irv
June 15th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Yeah I got a bad habit of doing this too. In fact Iv even devoted an entire album in my facebook photos to Ubuntu, linked below as "Boring geeky computer pics"
Neat geeky stuff. I checked out the photos.

cj.surrusco
June 15th, 2010, 03:00 AM
I posted this video on there today, an asked if anyone could do this with there windows. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5baDknt6Z7w
My son-in-law just stopped by and when I was showing him a few things on Ubuntu he was telling me that Win7 can do some of the same things compiz could do. Is this true? I never seen it.

You would need many programs together and it would not be nearly as smooth or fast. In fact, you probably wouldn't even be able to do half those things in windows.

clanky
June 16th, 2010, 08:36 AM
You would need many programs together and it would not be nearly as smooth or fast. In fact, you probably wouldn't even be able to do half those things in windows.

YAY for totally unfounded and incorrect statements based on assumptions.

Legendary_Bibo
June 16th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Actually there's some truth to what he said. I've seen the effects you can get for W7, but you have to combine programs. They also look like they decrease performance significantly. Not only that but the programs cost money as well.

cj.surrusco
June 16th, 2010, 05:16 PM

Now you are making assumptions that I haven't tried it at all in Windows. In fact, I have, and for example, A Desktop Cube similar program used much more cpu usage and was not nearly as customizable as the one in Ubuntu.

Frogs Hair
June 16th, 2010, 07:44 PM

I have W7 and I can't do anything that Compiz can do .

madjr
June 16th, 2010, 09:38 PM
i like showing it off on youtube mostly (videos always help), but facebook is pretty good too

a person wanted to know if mac gets viruses

i showed him ubuntu, told him is similar, it doesnt get viruses and no need to spend $

he liked it.

Ric_NYC
June 16th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I like showing off Ubuntu to my friends too...

"You're so weird" they say...

:)

Just kidding.

The Compiz effects are great.

irv
June 16th, 2010, 09:48 PM
From all the post out here, I would say us geekie ubuntu users are really proud of our systems and what they can do. When you buy a OS you can do some customizing but with ubuntu you can make it look just the way you want. I like using Ubuntu Tweak, it is a nice tool to really do a great customizing job.

Cavsfan
June 16th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I like showing Ubuntu off on FaceBook too.

Here is a video I made up. It is 1080p but, it is not even close to being as cool as that other video...
This was back on Karmic I believe.
It has a Luther Vandross song/video at the front end, then a little Google Earth and some other stuff.

YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU5PUTKwfP0)

irv
June 16th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I like showing Ubuntu off on FaceBook too.

Here is a video I made up. It is 1080p but, it is not even close to being as cool as that other video...
This was back on Karmic I believe.
It has a Luther Vandross song/video at the front end, then a little Google Earth and some other stuff.

YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU5PUTKwfP0)

That was a cool video and well done. I have a link in my signature to a short video of my desktop I recorded since I upgraded to 10.04.

Cavsfan
June 16th, 2010, 10:54 PM
That was a cool video and well done. I have a link in my signature to a short video of my desktop I recorded since I upgraded to 10.04.

Thanks! I don't know about well done though LOL That's a pretty nice video you have there.
I was just playing with Compiz when the electricity went out for no apparent reason!
It was only off for about 15 seconds, but long enough for me to forget where I was!

I hate when that happens! That video you posted earlier in this thread showed me more of what Compiz can do and I
was in the middle of fiddling with it and then bam! I am going to work with it for a while...

irv
June 16th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks! I don't know about well done though LOL That's a pretty nice video you have there.
I was just playing with Compiz when the electricity went out for no apparent reason!
It was only off for about 15 seconds, but long enough for me to forget where I was!

I hate when that happens! That video you posted earlier in this thread showed me more of what Compiz can do and I
was in the middle of fiddling with it and then bam! I am going to work with it for a while...

If you go to your CompizConfig Settings Manager click on a setting and go to the Bindings you can set shortcuts to the cube, cube face and cube face with windows. Neat stuff.

Cavsfan
June 16th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I just noticed it does that when you click on an object and I have been playing with it.
I got the fire and the ring switcher working pretty well, but there are too many to remember!

What is Button 1,2,3 etc? I could never figure that out!

cj.surrusco
June 16th, 2010, 11:38 PM
What is Button 1,2,3 etc? I could never figure that out!

They are different mouse buttons. 1 is left-click, for example.

Cavsfan
June 16th, 2010, 11:42 PM
They are different mouse buttons. 1 is left-click, for example.

Oh, Thanks! I just have a simple mouse with left and right and middle button which is also scroll,
So, if Button 1 is left mouse click, what else could I access?
Thanks

Timmer1240
June 16th, 2010, 11:43 PM
I dont know of anything else thats so great and yet so unknown!I love Ubuntu its the best OS ive ever had bar none!If people only knew how good it is they would jump over so the linux side!

Timmer1240
June 16th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Heres a screenshot of mine!PS sorry about the apple icon!

cj.surrusco
June 16th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Heres a screenshot of mine!PS sorry about the apple icon!
I'm guessing you're using Ubuntu as a free alternative to Mac OS? It looks like you're really going for the Mac look with that theme.

murderslastcrow
June 17th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Lol, we all like putting fruit on our panels- it's a coincidence.

HappinessNow
June 17th, 2010, 01:09 AM
I like to keep my Ubuntu private. modest. :oops:

XubuRoxMySox
June 17th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I don't do Facebook, but I "show off" Xubuntu by just having an old hand-me-down computer available for other kids to use (for homework, their Facebook, whatever) in between dance classes at the studio. They don't even know they're using Linux - until (and unless) they offer compliments on how easy and how blazing fast that old computer is. Then I tell them that it's Linux and sometimes they can't believe it. Like they think Linux is only for nerds with mad geek skillz, lol. "Nope! You've been using Linux all this time!"

Quite a few dancers and their families have gone home with LiveCDs to try (mostly those who have a reason to change their OS), and a few have completely switched from Windows!

I never "preach" about Linux. It speaks for itself very well, thank you!

Cheerfully,
Robin