PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Power Configuration problem for a Linux Newbie dual booting with VISTA

dugthemathguy
June 15th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Hi I'm a Ubuntu newbie and I'm not even completely sure this question should not be posted under the hardware section.
I installed Ubuntu on my Vista Home Basic machine on a partition with some instrucitons from here.
That worked well.
I started downloading some software and I was feeling the spirit of ubuntu reverberate throughout my heart :p
But then I ran my laptop on battery power and it popped up a message saying that I needed to configure my power settings.
I looked that up on the internet and found a good article that was saying that you had to configure the power for a laptop and it gave nice directions how to do that
The error message about the power settings comes up right when Ubuntu boots up
and it prevents using the operating system.
The error changed from a Ubuntu error to Gnome desktop error that said essentially the same thing: that my power setttings had not been installed properly.
So I figured I just log in in the safe mode or "recovery mode" I think its called.
I tried that and was shocked to find out that all I was given was a command line.
Being an (ex)Windows user I am pretty useless with a command line :confused:
I was wondering if someone could help me out.
I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 a few days ago and so reinstalling wouldn't be that painful
if I could get advice on how to configure the power setting right this time to avoid the same problem.
I still believe in the power of ubuntu,
and any help would be greatly appreciated
Doug