PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Removing Gnome Panels in Lucid an option?

slipknott
June 15th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Hello,

I am interested in removing the gnome panels from my desktop in 10.04. I know i can auto-hide the top and bottom panels and there is also an option to delete them. When they auto-hide a small white line is still visible and i accidentally hover over them sometimes briefly showing them also. I also do not want to do anything permanent like deleting them.

In some past forum posts i saw people saying go to System>Preferences>Sessions but this option seems to be missing in lucid and these seem to be for slightly older versions on ubuntu. I then added the gnome-session-properties command in the Edit Menu... of System but all it did was launch Startup Applications. One post i saw said to go into Sessions, required sessions and make it empty. Should this work like i want it too and if so, is there an option like this still in Lucid. I basically want to remove the panels completely from my desktop, but still want to be able to bring them back if i want too also (Hopefully without having to edit them again, but i can live with it if i do).

Thanks!,
Slip

Breambutt
June 15th, 2010, 02:52 AM
You can hide them on the widget layer with compiz and make them visible with F9 (default key).

sudo apt-get install compiz compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-extra

Just add class=Gnome-panel in the empty field under the Behavior tab inside the Widget Layer options.

Edit: Not sure about the name of the lower panel as I'm using Studio, but you can grab the panel information with a simple point'n'click crosshair tool.

slipknott
June 15th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Just tried it and it's working like a champ, thanks! :)

raditzman
July 28th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Could you please explain me where exactly do I do those changes (what app, and inside which settings), since I'm also trying to get rid of the top panel.

Thank you so much.

amurillo
August 23rd, 2010, 12:15 AM
Go to "Preferences->CompizConfig Settings Manager"

Filter or find "Widget Layer"

Go to "Behaviour" tab

Edit Widget Windows field, set it to "class=Gnome-panel"

Check "Enable Widget Layer"

That should do it.