PDA

View Full Version : Linux and Hippies

June 15th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Hello,

I don't really care if I get flamed but.... Is everyone in Linux a hippie or a techno hippy? I hear lots of these "hippie talks" about people talking about reusing old computers like Puppy Linux. Every Linux distro usually has the ability wine, to reuse some windows programs like Starcraft.

No offence to the hippies or techno hippies.

Kafubie
June 15th, 2010, 02:12 AM
You're a hippy.

julian.irwin
Sweepings statements that include "everyone" are sometimes difficult to address as are loosely defined ones such as "hippy".

But I would say that linux attracts many DIY folks and some people who like to be different just for the sake of it.

However, it is also useful for software developers, scientists and those who are too frugal to buy a new computer or new operating system.

Linux users are really a mixed bag.

You're a hippy.

takes 1 to know 1

June 15th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Sweepings statements that include "everyone" are sometimes difficult to address as are loosely defined ones such as "hippy".

But I would say that linux attracts many DIY folks and some people who like to be different just for the sake of it.

However, it is also useful for software developers, scientists and those who are too frugal to buy a new computer or new operating system.

Linux users are really a mixed bag.

so a mixxed bag of curious people, hippies, scientist, and software developers. thanks

ubunterooster
June 15th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Leaving out drugs drugs we are just reglar hippies

Today, the modern-day hippie has four sides.
1. New-hippie or neo-hippie– a true child of the 1960’s counterculture
The first type of what is called “modern-day hippies” is the true-blue hippie, a true child of the 1960’s counterculture. He (or she) is the true picture of a full-blown hippie, who lives the original hippie values from inside and out.
These hippies are now called new-hippies or neo-hippies. Similar to the hippies in the past, they are still politically informed and educated. They also advocate the same causes in the spirit of peace, love, and freedom. They keep up with current political and environmental trends. They protested against issues that contradict with their hippie values in the same manner that the hippies of the past protested. As true-blue hippies, they still also live with the good and the bad sides of being a hippie. They protest against way and violence as they promote peace. On the other hand, they also like to engage in unusual activities, use odd clothes and accessories, and experiment with drugs in their advocacy for liberal rights. They really are hippies to the core.
2. “Granola children:’ Lighter and brighter hippies
The second type of modern-day hippies are a somewhat downplayed version. Their hippie side is reflected more by their environment-friendly, tree-hugging advocacies, rather than through their political and societal idealisms. They are mostly vegetarians, and tend to live through life in a breeze and simply focus on their love for the environment and clean, healthy things. They are lighter and brighter hippies. They are sometimes called granola children. A “granola child”, according to the urban dictionary, is one who “enjoys tie-dye, granola, and peace”.
3. “Techno-hippies:” Angry hippies
The third type of modern-day hippies, on the other hand, are the exact opposite of the granola children. They are the angry hippies. They are more futuristic, and like to show off their hippie values in enhanced, exaggerated ways. They are called the “techno hippies”. They are more modern and more forward than the Neo-Hippies. They take the hippie character to the next level. They sport tattoos, body piercing, and strange hairstyles such as the famous dreadlocks. They also exhibit their opinions though rave parties where they mostly consume large amounts of drugs and alcohol. They also take their advocacies to the Internet and are in tune with the latest gaming technologies. They are, in a way, rebellious hippies.
4. “Rippies and yunkers:” Hippies without a cause
Finally, the fourth type of modern-day hippies are not really composed of hippies anymore, as a lot of people claim. They are hippies without a cause. Cynics like to call them “rippies”, because they are simply ripping off the hippie lifestyle, for lack of an original generational style and culture to live by.
There are a lot of terms closely associated with them. One of these terms is “yunkers”, which refers to a modern-day hippie who smokes and takes drugs a lot. Somehow, they give off the idea that they are merely using the hippie culture as an excuse to liberally take drugs. Accused of wearing the trendy, designer versions of distinct hippie clothes such as tie-dyes, vests, and sandals, they are also often referred to as the hippies who have lost their political activism.
Nevertheless, some things remain the same:
These four types of a modern-day hippie may be completely different. But one thing remains the same: the clothing style. Any breed of hippie is still wearing sandals and tie-dyes. Now, that is a fashion culture that doesn’t just die. <<

ElSlunko
June 15th, 2010, 02:16 AM
I went to the UCSC for school, does that make me a hippy? At least hippy adjacent.

June 15th, 2010, 02:20 AM
I went to the UCSC for school, does that make me a hippy? At least hippy adjacent.

uhhhh. do you wear "colourful" clothing?
do you drive a van with colourful designs, with some peace signs?
do you protest for green things?
do you go to hippie concerts?

ubunterooster
June 15th, 2010, 02:21 AM
I answer to the first and third questions with yes; the second and fourth with no

overdrank
June 15th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Moved to The Community Cafe

June 15th, 2010, 02:23 AM

long, but informative

Breambutt
June 15th, 2010, 02:24 AM
I guess there's a tiny idealist inside every Linux user.

Some just feed it more than others.

June 15th, 2010, 02:24 AM

for a more green world?
free love?
peace?

ubunterooster
June 15th, 2010, 02:26 AM
1; Yes!
2; Yes!
3; Unless you eat with your mouth open while talking :lolflag:

June 15th, 2010, 02:28 AM
1; Yes!
2; Yes!
3; Unless you eat with your mouth open while talking :lolflag:
lol?? interesting for the third option.

themarker0
June 15th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Troll?

Regardless, if you have it, use it.

June 15th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Troll?

Regardless, if you have it, use it.

so take every opportunity, is what your saying? hm... i rather not. =P

ubunterooster
June 15th, 2010, 02:36 AM
for a more green world?
free love?
peace?
But, seriously, what else is our duty to each other than to clean up our messes, and give love and peace? http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-love-smileys-884.gif

chessnerd
June 15th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Hippie, eh?

If, by hippie, you mean an idealist who goes against the "establishment" then, yes, many Linux users are "hippies."

However, I doubt that most of them run around barefoot, sleep in tents, and do drugs. So, in that sense, no. Most Linux users are not hippies.

On the other hand, if a hippie was going to use an OS, he/she would probably use Linux...

I let mine starve... :twisted:

Breambutt
June 15th, 2010, 02:45 AM
for a more green world?
free love?
peace?
I'd like a greener world.
I'd also like a just world.
I might also come to grips with people having a more open-minded world view and the knowledge and wisdom to explore the alternatives.

Fat chance of that happening, so I try not to get involved with the religious fanatics and follow the natural flow of life. Eventually the supporters of all that is evil will fade away and hundreds of generations from now the world will either be a better place or void of all life.

Either way, I'll just try to do my part as much as I can.

chessnerd
June 15th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Fat chance of that happening, so I try not to get involved with the religious fanatics and follow the natural flow of life. Eventually the supporters of all that is evil will fade away and hundreds of generations from now the world will either be a better place or void of all life.

Not just religious fanatics. What about political fanatics? What about social fanatics? What about technological fanatics (both those for and against it)? In fact, all fanatics. Even people fanatical about noble causes, like environmentalism, public health and wellness, and even world peace, are bad. In fact, my distaste for all things fanatical is the one thing that I am fanatical about. I believe strongly that no one should believe strongly about anything.

Sadly, that isn't totally a joke...

ubunterooster
June 15th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Not just religious fanatics. What about political fanatics? What about social fanatics? What about technological fanatics (both those for and against it)? In fact, all fanatics. Even people fanatical about noble causes, like environmentalism, public health and wellness, and even world peace, are bad. In fact, my distaste for all things fanatical is the one thing that I am fanatical about. I believe strongly that no one should believe strongly about anything.

???

anewguy
June 15th, 2010, 03:58 AM
I had to laugh when I read this. I used to be a systems programmer and systems administrator on big iron on down to micros. We needed to have TCP/IP access on what was then pretty much proprietary communications channels. So, the manufacturer decided to come out with a co-processort in which Unix ran as a job with our OS (sound familiar?) but allowed TCP/IP through the communications front-end. I remember spending days looking at the manuals and finally calling the manufacturers technical response center on the east coast of the US. I asked who came up with this Unix stuff, and was told:

...a bunch of guys sitting around in cut-offs and t-shirts eating a tomato saying "wow, look what I made it do!".

I just love that!

Dave ;)

Groucho Marxist
June 15th, 2010, 04:13 AM
... Is everyone in Linux a hippie or a techno hippy?

Overall, I would say no; the sheer range of users would encompass the titular "hippie/techno hippie" but would not cover every demographic of linux users.

With that being said, I embrace ideologies or goals which are antithetical to the hippie/techno hippie ideals mentioned earlier. Yet, I still whole-heartedly use and proselytize linux in my travels.

I hear lots of these "hippie talks" about people talking about reusing old computers like Puppy Linux.

Every Linux distro usually has the ability wine, to reuse some windows programs like Starcraft.

I feel that this is not so much a "hippie" trait as one of frugality. After all, it makes fiscal sense to extend the life of an appliance if it still functions and meets the needs of the user.

Breambutt
June 15th, 2010, 04:20 AM

Yeah, well, yeah.

I kinda use the word "religious" as a synonym for "fanatic" and the other way around but often use them not-so-cleverly together, it's supposed to be extended to anything one might be fanatical about - pardon the poor expression. I'm with you in the fanatic anti-fanatic club. Always been.

murderslastcrow
June 15th, 2010, 04:57 AM
The reason you see people using older hardware and saving money with Linux is because it opens that possibility up for them. Many people, without Linux, this wouldn't be an option.

So we're not "hippies," we just have faster, more stable, and happens to be free, Operating Systems. I'm sure many of us would pay for it if we had to.

handy
June 15th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Labels often confine meaning.

The labels that have been used in this thread to me all seem inept.

amitabhishek
June 15th, 2010, 07:55 AM
uhhhh. do you wear "colourful" clothing?
do you drive a van with colourful designs, with some peace signs?
do you protest for green things?
do you go to hippie concerts?

addendum:

do you get more action?
do you play guitar and wear headbands?

Random_Dude
June 15th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I don't wear colourful clothes or live in a tent in the middle of the woods. Otherwise, how could I get an internet connection?

I like linux because:

I like to try things that are not mainstream, just to get to know them, even if it turns out that they are not that good (not the case with linux).
I like the community that has been built around it.
I like the idea of free software.
It's more flexible.
It's faster.
It's more stable.

And probably more reasons that I can't remember right now.
Does that make me a hippie?

squilookle
June 15th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Hello,

I don't really care if I get flamed but.... Is everyone in Linux a hippie or a techno hippy? I hear lots of these "hippie talks" about people talking about reusing old computers like Puppy Linux. Every Linux distro usually has the ability wine, to reuse some windows programs like Starcraft.

No offence to the hippies or techno hippies.

I have read that the founders of Apple were meant to be hippes at the time.

So, if everyone in Linux were a hippie, maybe things would be very different and it would be, for example, tighly controlled and slickly marketed...

handy
June 15th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I strongly suspect that Steve Jobs was being fashionable as it got him laid more often.

Wozniak on the other hand is a brilliant creative individual who had some psychological problems re. relating to people in general. He managed to get over that as the years went by thankfully & went on to be a great teacher.

Woz is a truly cool dude from what I can gather.

chucky chuckaluck
June 15th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Linux users "have hair like Tarzan, walk like Jane and smell like Cheetah".

Breambutt
June 15th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Linux users "have hair like Tarzan, walk like Jane and smell like Cheetah".
I have hair like Jane, walk like Cheetah and smell like Tarzan.

98cwitr
June 15th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I guess I would be a techno hippie...but I have normal hair :?

fancypiper
June 15th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I don't consider myself to be a Hippie. I am a Beatnik!

sydbat
June 15th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I don't consider myself to be a Hippie. I am a Beatnik!Snaps fingers.

Viva
June 15th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I don't like hippies. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad.

Viva
June 15th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I strongly suspect that Steve Jobs was being fashionable as it got him laid more often.

Wozniak on the other hand is a brilliant creative individual who had some psychological problems re. relating to people in general. He managed to get over that as the years went by thankfully & went on to be a great teacher.

Woz is a truly cool dude from what I can gather.

I think Woz said that Steve Jobs was the bigger hippie of the two.

nikhilbhardwaj
June 15th, 2010, 06:03 PM
die hippie die

koenn
June 15th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I don't like hippies. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad.

wow. talk about stereotyping.

RiceMonster
June 15th, 2010, 06:29 PM

no u

handy
June 16th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I think Woz said that Steve Jobs was the bigger hippie of the two.

The Jobs ego would have wanted to be cool & to stand out from the crowd. On the other hand Woz was Woz - a very shy creative genius, an individual (whether he liked it or not at the time), his creativity caused him to stand out from the crowd & gave the Jobs ego something to ride off into the future on.

ronnielsen1
June 16th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Hey! Just because I love linux does not mean I'm a hippie! Besides I don't inhale and I take regular showers.

ubunterooster
June 16th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Hey! Just because I love linux does not mean I'm a hippie! Besides I don't inhale and I take regular showers.
You don't inhale? I can't hold my breath for more than a minute!
http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/lol-045.gif

SunnyRabbiera
June 16th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Hippie? No
Eccentric? Yes
Cardboard? No
Delicious? Yes

WinterRain
June 16th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I am a hippie and I use linux.
http://myimages.bravenet.com/175/531/893/0/hippy.jpg

ubunterooster
June 16th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Away from the dark side GNU leads you, hrm?

ubunterooster
June 16th, 2010, 02:54 AM
A new user sent me the PM when trying to post
Am new to Ubuntu and saw this answer and wanted to comment.

Grew up in the S.F. Bay Area. 1967 first experience of Golden Gate park at the foot of Haight Ashbury. Grew up in the Avalon Ballroom, Filmore Auditorium, Winterland and Playland by the beach. Would be considered one of the original "Bill Graham Presents". Worked in the original waterbed industry before frames were being made for them.

So this generation of "hippies" oh well they can watch whatever films are available and wonder.

As Dillion once said "these times are a changin"
and for fun:
http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-fighting-smileys-427.gif

doas777
June 16th, 2010, 03:04 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/NyuNyuNyu/NetTroll.jpghttp://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/NyuNyuNyu/?action=view&current=NetTroll.jpg&sort=ascending

anewguy
June 16th, 2010, 07:28 AM

But man, we're so mellow about it!! ;) ;)

Dave ;)

cascade9
June 16th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Hippies? LOL, just as easy to piant linux users in general as anarchists.

I lived on a commune a child, and I visited every commune within a few hundred kilometres.
Heck, one of my partents oldest friends was at the berkley riots.
I do smoke cannabis.
I would really like just a bit more world peace.
Hippie?

I dont own a single bit of tiedye or any sandals, and the vast majority of my clothes are black. I still get people call me 'goth' (mainly from moving cars, I'm a bit to big to try it on to my face LOL. BTW, no, I'm not one of the masonite gothlings, and I dont dress like one....and one of the older, 45+ gothics I do know says that I'm "the last of the swampies, and not a goth at all")
I think that the hippies failed, big time.
Not hippie?

Originally Posted by some website
Today, the modern-day hippie has four sides.
1. New-hippie or neo-hippie– a true child of the 1960’s counterculture
The first type of what is called “modern-day hippies” is the true-blue hippie, a true child of the 1960’s counterculture. He (or she) is the true picture of a full-blown hippie, who lives the original hippie values from inside and out.
These hippies are now called new-hippies or neo-hippies. Similar to the hippies in the past, they are still politically informed and educated. They also advocate the same causes in the spirit of peace, love, and freedom. They keep up with current political and environmental trends. They protested against issues that contradict with their hippie values in the same manner that the hippies of the past protested. As true-blue hippies, they still also live with the good and the bad sides of being a hippie. They protest against way and violence as they promote peace. On the other hand, they also like to engage in unusual activities, use odd clothes and accessories, and experiment with drugs in their advocacy for liberal rights. They really are hippies to the core.
The second type of modern-day hippies are a somewhat downplayed version. Their hippie side is reflected more by their environment-friendly, tree-hugging advocacies, rather than through their political and societal idealisms. They are mostly vegetarians, and tend to live through life in a breeze and simply focus on their love for the environment and clean, healthy things. They are lighter and brighter hippies. They are sometimes called granola children. A “granola child”, according to the urban dictionary, is one who “enjoys tie-dye, granola, and peace”.
3. “Techno-hippies:” Angry hippies
The third type of modern-day hippies, on the other hand, are the exact opposite of the granola children. They are the angry hippies. They are more futuristic, and like to show off their hippie values in enhanced, exaggerated ways. They are called the “techno hippies”. They are more modern and more forward than the Neo-Hippies. They take the hippie character to the next level. They sport tattoos, body piercing, and strange hairstyles such as the famous dreadlocks. They also exhibit their opinions though rave parties where they mostly consume large amounts of drugs and alcohol. They also take their advocacies to the Internet and are in tune with the latest gaming technologies. They are, in a way, rebellious hippies.
4. “Rippies and yunkers:” Hippies without a cause
Finally, the fourth type of modern-day hippies are not really composed of hippies anymore, as a lot of people claim. They are hippies without a cause. Cynics like to call them “rippies”, because they are simply ripping off the hippie lifestyle, for lack of an original generational style and culture to live by.
There are a lot of terms closely associated with them. One of these terms is “yunkers”, which refers to a modern-day hippie who smokes and takes drugs a lot. Somehow, they give off the idea that they are merely using the hippie culture as an excuse to liberally take drugs. Accused of wearing the trendy, designer versions of distinct hippie clothes such as tie-dyes, vests, and sandals, they are also often referred to as the hippies who have lost their political activism.
Nevertheless, some things remain the same:
These four types of a modern-day hippie may be completely different. But one thing remains the same: the clothing style. Any breed of hippie is still wearing sandals and tie-dyes. Now, that is a fashion culture that doesn’t just die. <<

One of the more nasty, hardcore hippie types around here are the 'ferals' (AFAIK, they are fairly similar to the 'travellers' in the UK, but they are more likely to just live in a forest and not move around). Ferals dont fit into any of the above catogries, but they sure are hippies- if a darker, more abrasive type of hippie.

Whoever wrote that is just playing with his/her own stereotyping.

Labels often confine meaning.

(I'll probably get blasted for this, but its what I believe, and have seen with all the social groupings I've every played with- and that is some of the 'normal' groupings and almost all the 'counterculture' groupings).

IMO, labels just confine. They are there to make it easier for people to put other people into a box....and also so that people that want to be in a box know what to, what is 'cool' and what is not. Most people are sheeple :|

koenn
June 16th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Whoever wrote that is just playing with his/her own stereotyping.

Agreed

IMO, labels just confine. They are there to make it easier for people to put other people into a box....and also so that people that want to be in a box know what to, what is 'cool' and what is not. Most people are sheeple :|
people are social animals, in that living in groups has always been part of their survival. Similar to wolves in packs, horses in bands and herds, not to mention chimpanzees and bonobos.
So conforming to what is expected or accepted within a group (be it a dominant culture, a subculture or a counterculture) is inherent to being human.

Labels such as 'hippies', often serve to identify a group, but indeed often lead to stereotyping. Explicitly derogatory labels, such as 'sheeple', even more so.

Tibuda
June 16th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Microsoft guys are hippies:
http://www.columbia.edu/~xs23/nerds.jpg (http://www.columbia.edu/~xs23/invest.htm)

handy
June 17th, 2010, 03:28 AM

I was heavily influenced by the 60s & 70s. The so called hippie movement was primarily a backlash against the Vietnam war. Many young people were showing that they disagreed with the politics & social mores of the time.

This was accelerated by people like Ken Kesey, & the Merry Pranksters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merry_Pranksters), Gerry Garcia & many other musicians as they experimented with LSD & other drugs. (For anyone interested there is a wonderful book by Tom Wolfe called "The Electric Cool-Aid Acid Test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Electric_Kool-Aid_Acid_Test)" which chronicles somewhat the events surrounding Kesey, the Pranksters & some others associated with them in the 60s & there effect on mainstream societies. Another great book that gives another perspective on the time is "Living with the Dead (http://www.amazon.com/Living-Dead-Twenty-Garcia-Grateful/dp/0316777129)" by Rock Scully with David Dalton; Rock Scully was with the Grateful Dead & Gerry Garcia for more than 2 decades, the account given of that time in the book, makes it worthy of being considered an historical document, as is the Acid Test book. :))

Like any other cultural phenomenon, there were hippies that were trendies & there were others that truly found various degrees of freedom through being a part of that counter culture.

I know I'm incredibly grateful for having been able to grow up in & be a part of that time. It was truly an enormous amount of fun & it set me on a course in pursuit of mind expansion for the rest of my life. :)

fancypiper
June 17th, 2010, 03:37 AM
I think I must be built backwards. I was married in the 60's and single in the 90's. My nose runs and my feet smell..http://www.icalledit.com/forums/images/smilies/undwech.gif

Superkoop
June 17th, 2010, 04:32 AM

Yes.

Honestly, I'm not much of a hippie. Granted I do wear sandals often, have long hair, sing 'hippie' music, eat granola, love peace, and go to hippie concerts. But I do not at all smell bad, because I shower daily, and my hair is always wonderfully clean.

And I'm not a hippie because I use Linux, I'm just a hippie-ish guy that happens to use linux because it's better than windows for most things. (I still use Windows for some programs that don't work under WINE.)

Personally, I love the term granola children, I think I'm adopting it to me.

t0p
June 17th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Ah, labels. You gotta love 'em. Some folk would call me a hippy cos I only work to get the cash I need to live, I take copious amounts of drugs, I listen to music like the Doors, The Stones, Hawkwind, Ozric Tentacles, I love as many women as I can and I smell lke my dog. Yet others would say I'm an evil anarcho-terrorist punk thing cos I like riding nasty hogs, I believe honesty is a relative concept, I like the Dead Kennedys and DOA, I enjoy shooting guns and blowing stuff up and my dog is nearly as big as me.

None of the above has anything to do with why I use Linux. I think Linux is more fun and more challenging than Windows, and it's a helluva lot cheaper than Apple.

I reckon labelling folk stems from the fear of the Other and the perceived safety of the herd. Those notions are clearly ridiculous. So now I'm labelling people and therefore must be ridiculous too. Or have I missed something there?

doas777
June 17th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Hippie is a misnomer these days. Hippie was a highly derogatory term used by the majority to refer to the "new hip and trendy" folks that were differant from them.

as such hippies from the early ots in the us were teh dregs of the goth children, that got into the peircing/tattos and those darn pants with parachutte straps. in the Mid ninties, hippies would have been the people with their pants halfway down, and brandnew ball caps (with tags still on) perched precariously on the very tops of their heads, driving cars you can hear thumpin in china. in the mid ninties, the hippies wore flannel. in the late 80's they all had feathered and permed long hair, and leather pants.

@t0p: your right, it's an infinite regression. the only way to win, is not to play...

DCGStudios
June 17th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Microsoft guys are hippies

:lolflag:

SO TRUE

fancypiper
June 17th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Microsoft guys are hippies:
:-k I have heard that if you go to work messed up you end up with messed up work, so that makes sense to me! :lolflag:

handy
June 17th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Hippie is a misnomer these days. Hippie was a highly derogatory term used by the majority to refer to the "new hip and trendy" folks that were differant from them.

as such hippies from the early ots in the us were teh dregs of the goth children, that got into the peircing/tattos and those darn pants with parachutte straps. in the Mid ninties, hippies would have been the people with their pants halfway down, and brandnew ball caps (with tags still on) perched precariously on the very tops of their heads, driving cars you can hear thumpin in china. in the mid ninties, the hippies wore flannel. in the late 80's they all had feathered and permed long hair, and leather pants.

@t0p: your right, it's an infinite regression. the only way to win, is not to play...

Sorry old mate, but you are obviously too young to know what you are talking about!? :confused:

doas777
June 17th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Sorry old mate, but you are obviously too young to know what you are talking about!? :confused:

lol. yes and no.
I understand what you're saying, and am no stranger to the counterculture of the latter half of the 20th century. I am just a bit of a literalist when it comes to definitions. the word started out in the 50-60's as a way to describe people that are into the new fads, whereas now it refers to a specific set of values and principals that can be partly or wholly attributed to any number of groups, most of whom would be somewhat insulted by it.

On a deeper level, this redefinition is as much about social politics as anything else. look at the end of the protest era (1980 in the us). with the shift from civil rights and anti-Vietnam to more esoteric issues like globalization/world finance, LGBT rights, and animal rights, the causes started reflecting fewer and fewer people at each stage. ultimately, the entire movement became viewed by the majority less as idealistic rebels challenging a corrupt oligarchy, but more as naive spoiled children whining that the world isn't fair. at this point, even the counterculture started hating those that had been previously referred to as Hippies, even though they themselves were pursuing the fads of the day.

so, the word "hippie" is out of fashion these days, but being a "hippie" as uttered by "squares" in the mid 60's is still just as fashionable as ever. just don't call it that.

koenn
June 17th, 2010, 06:41 PM
On a deeper level, this redefinition is as much about social politics as anything else. look at the end of the protest era (1980 in the us). with the shift from civil rights and anti-Vietnam to more esoteric issues like globalization/world finance, LGBT rights, and animal rights, the causes started reflecting fewer and fewer people at each stage. ultimately, the entire movement became viewed by the majority less as idealistic rebels challenging a corrupt oligarchy, but more as naive spoiled children whining that the world isn't fair.

by the end of the 60's, hippies actually already were "naive spoiled children" for the most part -- you'd have to be a child from an affluent middle class family during an economic boom or you'd hardly be able to afford such a life style.

also, you missed çin your post) the stage where the focus shifted from political/social contestation to a search for indivudual, personal growth/change, which later evolved into that whole New Age thing.

anewguy
June 21st, 2010, 08:42 PM
by the end of the 60's, hippies actually already were "naive spoiled children" for the most part -- you'd have to be a child from an affluent middle class family during an economic boom or you'd hardly be able to afford such a life style.

also, you missed çin your post) the stage where the focus shifted from political/social contestation to a search for indivudual, personal growth/change, which later evolved into that whole New Age thing.

My family, and those of my other "hippie" friends were anything but affluent families. We just enjoyed the ideals of peace, love, stopping an unpopular war that was killing thousands of us, trying to change some of the things happening in government that we didn't agree with (it is OUR government after all), plus we added in a few "expanded awareness tools". There were a lot of us who just wanted to change the world (doesn't every generation?) and wanted to do it peacefully and spread love of all people.

cpmman
June 21st, 2010, 09:01 PM
My family, and those of my other "hippie" friends were anything but affluent families. We just enjoyed the ideals of peace, love, stopping an unpopular war that was killing thousands of us, trying to change some of the things happening in government that we didn't agree with (it is OUR government after all), plus we added in a few "expanded awareness tools". There were a lot of us who just wanted to change the world (doesn't every generation?) and wanted to do it peacefully and spread love of all people.

Love is all you need (refrain).

seanelly
June 21st, 2010, 09:02 PM
I agree koenn. Show me a young person today who identifies as a hippie and I'll show you a (somewhat) wealthy family.

I'll get called a hippie, a treehugger, and a redneck hick in the same day, but I have enough confidence in my own identity and feel no need to go by anything other than my name and student number. :P

koenn
June 21st, 2010, 09:55 PM

I'm not denying there was a certain socio-political component to the hippie movement (or, the counter-cultures of the 60s in general). I mentioned it in a previous post.

But an equally large component was protest against materialisc values and the consumerism of the era - it would be something that appeals to youth rebelling against their rather well-off, materialistic inclined, cunsumerist parents.

Lastly, "dropping out", quitting school, refusing to get a job ... is easy if you have parents to financially back you up. It's a different ball game if you have to support yourself.

Hence my statement that the bulk og the hippie movement, especially by the end of the 60s or early 70s, were "kids from affluent families". Obviously, most of them were just following the trends and fashions of the day.
I'm aware there were also plenty of others, I personally know quite a few.