PDA

View Full Version : frustrated

spezticle
June 15th, 2010, 01:24 AM
so i'm relatively new to this stuff and i'm trying to learn.
i utilize the irc.ubuntu.com to ask for help when i need it, and recently tried to connect and join one of the help rooms to find out they banned me apparently because they don't like me asking for help.

yeah, i get it don't bother asking questions you can just google the answer for.
well seriously, you can google anything to find the answer.
excuse me for wanting to interact with a human not a google results page to solve problems.

this whole help area is a nice idea and all, but it still hasn't changed much.
the people that know a lot still hold that 'im l33t you're not' mentality and it's completely stupid.

you and your l33test community can be l33t by yourselves. i'm out thanks for nothin.

new_tolinux
June 15th, 2010, 01:41 AM
<sarcasm>
I really appreciate that you just posted this message about your experiences in an irc box to tell me that I'm having a stupid mentality, although I wasn't even in that IRC box.
</sarcasm>

It would be nice to know what problem you have in order to (maybe) resolve the problem.

WinterRain
June 15th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Did you ever try these forums for help? The people here will bend over backwards to help you. Don't blame all linux users because of a few bad apples.

howefield
June 15th, 2010, 02:07 AM
this whole help area is a nice idea and all, but it still hasn't changed much.
the people that know a lot still hold that 'im l33t you're not' mentality and it's completely stupid.

Looking at your posting history, you appear to have had a decent experience here having been involved in many active threads.

What is your beef with ubuntuforums exactly ?

aysiu
June 15th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Ubuntu Forums and Ubuntu IRC are not the same.

spezticle
June 15th, 2010, 03:15 AM
i guess i was under the impression that ubuntu irc was part of ubuntu forums because #ubuntu references it's homepage as ubuntu.com and ubuntu.com references it's forums here and it's chat on irc.ubuntu.com and so it seems logical that most of the people in the irc are also working in the forums, too. they're all the ubuntu community.

i wanted to vent about the irc.
it's been a frustrating day because some ip from a chinese proxy server jacked up my apache server and i'm assuming they became wise to my open security issues because i asked for help concerning security fundamentals with my apache server. i'm a bit nervous now asking for help in an area where all the details of my problems are public for the world to read and people that want to do malicious things just have to go looking for the 'fun' to be had by them in a forum full of 'n00bs' not knowing what they're doing.

ukripper
June 15th, 2010, 08:57 AM
i guess i was under the impression that ubuntu irc was part of ubuntu forums because #ubuntu references it's homepage as ubuntu.com and ubuntu.com references it's forums here and it's chat on irc.ubuntu.com and so it seems logical that most of the people in the irc are also working in the forums, too. they're all the ubuntu community.

i wanted to vent about the irc.
it's been a frustrating day because some ip from a chinese proxy server jacked up my apache server and i'm assuming they became wise to my open security issues because i asked for help concerning security fundamentals with my apache server. i'm a bit nervous now asking for help in an area where all the details of my problems are public for the world to read and people that want to do malicious things just have to go looking for the 'fun' to be had by them in a forum full of 'n00bs' not knowing what they're doing.

Why don't you block ip range of a country itself if your webserver is not serving them http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/518

If you post your thread in server section of ubuntu forums you certainly will get great help.

spezticle
June 15th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Why don't you block ip range of a country itself if your webserver is not serving them http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/518

If you post your thread in server section of ubuntu forums you certainly will get great help.

sorry yesterday was a really bad day. everything went to heck. getting banned from that room just kinda set me off because i was only trying to figure it all out. and then apache going down didn't help either. i will stick to the forums indeed. i haven't had any problems here at all besides questions not being answered, but that's understandable and i don't hold any grudge because of that. those irc guys on the otherhand need to chill out in my opinion. i contacted the proxy server admin that the IP traced to, they replied telling me it was forwarded through a proxy in france, and odds are it didn't originate from france either

new_tolinux
June 15th, 2010, 08:13 PM
sorry yesterday was a really bad day. everything went to heck. getting banned from that room just kinda set me off because i was only trying to figure it all out. and then apache going down didn't help either.
Understandable and understood. The reason I reacted with "sarcasm-tags" because I didn't want to put it to seriously or offending, but I didn't want let it pass unnoticed either. I was just trying to put some kind of "wake-up" call to get you back into reality ;)

i will stick to the forums indeed. i haven't had any problems here at all besides questions not being answered, but that's understandable and i don't hold any grudge because of that.
I don't remember looking at your posts but at least I didn't ignore them for any reason.
I just don't know all answers, and I'm not going to type that in every topic, just to let the person who asked a question know that his/her thread was read.
Most people around here are pretty helpful and they reply if they know the answer, or at least have some suggestions about where (part of) an answer may be found.

That means that it can be a lot of work to figure out the answer yourself, but at least most people here are willing to point you as far in the right direction as they can if there's nobody who knows a direct answer.

I will have a look at your other threads in a minute and reply if I have any ideas.
Edit: read all threads you posted to this year. I didn't felt the need to reply on your post in the community cafe, but I answered in one of your threads where I knew a probable answer.

Penguin Guy
June 15th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Most people on IRC and forums are very nice and helpful. We really would appreciate it however, if you could at least try to figure it out yourself by either experimenting or Googling. If it's quite a complex question like how to secure an Apache server, then you should post on the forums - it's hard to answer a question like that in a few lines.

Johnsie
June 18th, 2010, 11:33 AM
It's like anything else in life... There are some good people and there are some not very nice people. Generally speaking if you go to any IRC channel there are almost always going to be rude people in there. That's the way IRC has been since the 90's.

Most people on IRC are incredibly bored and some of them can be very hostile or contrarian just because that's who they are. If they were sociable beings they would not be hanging out on an irc channel.

The best thing to do when someone flips you off in IRC is to just ignore them. There are plenty of other places to find support.

spezticle
June 18th, 2010, 01:10 PM
It's like anything else in life... There are some good people and there are some not very nice people. Generally speaking if you go to any IRC channel there are almost always going to be rude people in there. That's the way IRC has been since the 90's.

Most people on IRC are incredibly bored and some of them can be very hostile or contrarian just because that's who they are. If they were sociable beings they would not be hanging out on an irc channel.

The best thing to do when someone flips you off in IRC is to just ignore them. There are plenty of other places to find support.

true indeed. i found out that the hack really had nothing to do with that room anyway, the timing was just ironic. i guess i really wasn't surprised by that anyway. i didn't really believe that they did i was just frustrated that it was all happening at once.
i'm not sure what's made me so interesting to the chinese port 80 and 22 attacks but they won't leave me alone lol.

wojox
June 18th, 2010, 01:17 PM
There is an Ubuntu forums irc.

#ubuntuforums

spezticle
June 18th, 2010, 01:53 PM
There is an Ubuntu forums irc.

#ubuntuforums

i'll check it out, thanks :)

Sef
June 19th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Moved to community cafe.